Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
2011 JGC Overland... manual says towing 4 down = disconnect negative battery cable...

Am i correct to assume this does not need to be done? my U.S. gear unified tow brake supplies juice to the toad. JGC manual clearly states last step after shifting transfer case to neutral and getting ready to tow 4 down one is to disconnect the negavitve battery cable.

Advise? thanks in advance
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My 2011 JGC manual doesn't state to disconnect the negative cable. It states that after shifting into neutral, start engine, place in drive, then place in reverse to insure the transfer case is disengaged, then shift to park, shut-off engine, remove key and tow. The EVIC should also tell you when the transfer case is in neutral.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
My 2011 JGC manual doesn't state to disconnect the negative cable. It states that after shifting into neutral, start engine, place in drive, then place in reverse to insure the transfer case is disengaged, then shift to park, shut-off engine, remove key and tow. The EVIC should also tell you when the transfer case is in neutral.
Here is an excerpt from your 2011 JGC manual...:

"12. Firmly apply the parking brake.

13. Shift the transmission into PARK.

CAUTION!

Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission

is shifted into PARK with the transfer case in

NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running. With the

transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the engine

is off prior to shifting the transmission into PARK.

14. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable

tow bar.

15. Release the parking brake.

16. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it

away from the negative battery post."

Link to your 2011 JGC manual is here....: My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

Page 456

Please advise!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
IF you have to disconnect then I'd suggest you add a manual disconnect switch. Move the switch and it is disconnect - move it the other way and it is connected. Sure would beat messing with battery cables everytime you want to tow.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

I'm about to tow my 2011 JGC for the first time and I wondered about that. I wondered because pushing the brake pedal when the vehicle is off activates the EVIC. I also noticed, and I may have overlooked this before, you have to revove the keyless start button and use the old fashion key.

It could be these procedures changed after the initial printing. This is the 4th edition. Because of this I'll need to rewire my AF1 break away system because it must have vehicle power to work.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

I bet removing the negative battery cable at the battery is nearly impossible. I'll have to see if there's somewhere else it can be disconnected. Better yet, I'd like to find the fuse to the EVIC and then I doubt there's a reason to take the negative cable off the battery.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I bet removing the negative battery cable at the battery is nearly impossible. I'll have to see if there's somewhere else it can be disconnected. Better yet, I'd like to find the fuse to the EVIC and then I doubt there's a reason to take the negative cable off the battery.
ImagineIF, the tow brake i am using (us gear unified tow brake) supplies a powerline from the coach to the toad to power a motor that provides vaccuum for the master cylinder in the 2011 overland. I am wondering if this enables me to not worry about the battery disconnect ??
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I wonder if that is to keep the battery from going dead because of the tail, stop, and turn signal lites? I blew a fuse on my motorhome and had to turn the park lites on in my Subaru when i came to Vegas last October. The battery lasted about 3 hours and went south. I'll have to check with the guy that installed the Unified but I'm sure he said he ran a circuit from the motorhome to the Jeep lights.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #9

Seems to me from what you have described that disconnecting the neg cable would prevent your braking system from getting power to operate it. If you do in fact have to disconnect it then i would put a disconnect switch in line as suggested and run power leads seperate from the battery to the brake. While power could be furnished from TV the whole purpose of emgerency braking in case of break away would be defeated with out a power source on the toad. TV could furnish power normally
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just sent a email to Jeep asking about that. Hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I'm about to tow my 2011 JGC for the first time and I wondered about that. I wondered because pushing the brake pedal when the vehicle is off activates the EVIC. I also noticed, and I may have overlooked this before, you have to revove the keyless start button and use the old fashion key.

It could be these procedures changed after the initial printing. This is the 4th edition. Because of this I'll need to rewire my AF1 break away system because it must have vehicle power to work.
Just checked the brake pedal thing out... the EVIC only activates if you BOTH press the brake pedal and hit start. Just using the brakes does NOT activate the EVIC fyi...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I wonder if that is to keep the battery from going dead because of the tail, stop, and turn signal lites? I blew a fuse on my motorhome and had to turn the park lites on in my Subaru when i came to Vegas last October. The battery lasted about 3 hours and went south. I'll have to check with the guy that installed the Unified but I'm sure he said he ran a circuit from the motorhome to the Jeep lights.
Finhawk, our US Gear Unibrake has a power wire running from the coach to our jeep. Does that power wire only power the vacuum motor to the master cylinder or does it give toad power?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fritz, as far as I know that wire powers the vacum pump and the tail lites. At least that's what it did on my previous Toad.
Just got a reply from Jeep. The guy said that the reason for the disconnect is to keep the battery from going dead on long tows. For short tows, like most of us do, it is not necessary. Now I'm wondering why the start button has to come out in order to tow. This is turning into a small bucket of worms! But I'm sure that it'll be great after we figure it out
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
ImagineIF, the tow brake i am using (us gear unified tow brake) supplies a powerline from the coach to the toad to power a motor that provides vaccuum for the master cylinder in the 2011 overland. I am wondering if this enables me to not worry about the battery disconnect ??
Where does your brake controller get power for break away braking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
The 2011 Jeep GC nneds power and a switch from somewhere to activate the brake lights. I assume everyone gets power for their TOADS lights from their RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Just checked the brake pedal thing out... the EVIC only activates if you BOTH press the brake pedal and hit start. Just using the brakes does NOT activate the EVIC fyi...
I checked mine. The EVIC display comes on when I hit the brakes without starting the engine.