Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question 2011 Wrangler toad wiring questions

Roadmaster says call Jeep, but before I do the telephone shuffle with them I'll ask here.

I'm setting up a 2011 wrangler 4WD with auto trans to tow behind my coach. I have the roadmaster evenbrake system from the old toad and plan to use it in the jeep. The owners manual says disconnect the battery to tow, is that because of the auto trans or because of power drain?

If its because of the trans is there a workaround to disconnect power to the trans.

Can you just run a charge line from the coach to keep the jeep battery power up.

If the auto trans is disconnected via the transfer case, its not moving any parts in the transmission.... correct?

bfam2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 09 Wrangler also says to disconnect the battery and leave the key turned on for the steering wheel lock. The manual is wrong. There is no steering lock. Check some of the Jeep forums or call Jeep.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post
Roadmaster says call Jeep, but before I do the telephone shuffle with them I'll ask here.

I'm setting up a 2011 wrangler 4WD with auto trans to tow behind my coach. I have the roadmaster evenbrake system from the old toad and plan to use it in the jeep. The owners manual says disconnect the battery to tow, is that because of the auto trans or because of power drain?

If its because of the trans is there a workaround to disconnect power to the trans.

Can you just run a charge line from the coach to keep the jeep battery power up.

If the auto trans is disconnected via the transfer case, its not moving any parts in the transmission.... correct?
No need to disconnect the battery. In earlier JK's they had a steering wheel lock but that was removed from the OEM's in 2009 model year. In 2007-2008 (I have heard even early 2009 model years but have not seen one) they had to leave the key in the on position for the purpose of keeping the steering wheel unlocked. This caused battery drain but most people removed the large main fuse from the panel and then reinstalled it when they arrived at their destination.

There is nothing special to do on your 2011. I have the same thing and it is quick and simple to hook up and go. Leave the auto trans in "park" and transfer case in "neutral", hook up the towbar, lights and auxiliary braking and you are off.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
No need to disconnect the battery. In earlier JK's they had a steering wheel lock but that was removed from the OEM's in 2009 model year. In 2007-2008 (I have heard even early 2009 model years but have not seen one) they had to leave the key in the on position for the purpose of keeping the steering wheel unlocked.
In my 2008 JK I have to disconnect the battery and turn the key on. I put a knife switch on the battery terminal and simply open it when I tow. However for my RVi2 Brake I needed a 12volt outlet so I ran a separate outlet just for the brake that is always hot. Never had a problem with the battery unless I forgot to disconnect it. I carry a battery jump box always in the Jeep for those occasions.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
In my 2008 JK I have to disconnect the battery and turn the key on. I put a knife switch on the battery terminal and simply open it when I tow. However for my RVi2 Brake I needed a 12volt outlet so I ran a separate outlet just for the brake that is always hot. Never had a problem with the battery unless I forgot to disconnect it. I carry a battery jump box always in the Jeep for those occasions.
Yep, that just confirmed what I mentioned, the OP has a 2011. When I was looking for a JKU about 4 years ago I was really wanting one 2009 or 2010 so I would not have to pull the steering column apart and remove the wheel lock. Luckily my wife fell in love with a 2011 that I found so I didn't have to mess with any of that.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks guys

It just didn't make any sense to me, I knew there was no steering lock that's why I bought it in the first place. It seemed ridiculous if you put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in park why would you need power to anything with the key while towing.

Bill
bfam2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2012 and as the others have said, no need to leave the key in or disconnect the battery. As for a charge line, I use an RVI2 brake and have not had a problem with it running the Jeep's battery down without a charge line. If it's running enough to discharge the battery, then there may be a problem with the braking unit.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring