Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by lass View Post

A few months back, we were communicating on the Blue Ox & SMI install for our CRV's and want to mention a problem that I was having and wonder if yours is the same.

Before each trip, I do a check on all of my brake lights on the coach and CRV, and found that when the RV brakes are activated the CRV turn signal did not work so I had to install another fuse switch in order to fix the problem.

Have you noticed if yours is the same?
This would be caused by not installing a brake switch relay. If you used a diode set up to get your tail lights to work then there is also a relay that must be installed that bypasses the CRV's brakes. You will know you need this, regardless of toad make, if with the key OFF and you push the brake peddle you get brake lights. This is true for your CRV. In effect, the brake lights from the RV override your turn signals unless you installed a brake light relay.

We avoided that by installing the Tow Daddy Harness

Tow Daddy - The Best Designed RV Products on the Planet

There is no harness for the 2012 - 2014 model years so you would need to use the Universal Harness and do some wire work in the tail light assembly. Not a big deal.

So...assuming I have diagnosed the problem, you need to install something like the Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay kit. In fact, from reading your message again it appears that is what you did.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Again, this is not a CRV issue or a braking system issue. This is a design issue for many vehicles with brake lights that can be activated even if the key is off.

If I have misdiagnosed the issue...

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!