Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #1

2012-13 Honda CR-V Firewall

Greetings!

Has anyone fished a wire through the firewall of a 12-13 CR-V? Would you kindly advise me the least destructive method? Prefer driver's side.

(Installing the breakaway wire for BB Classic.)

Thanks,

Calypso
calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know about a CR-V's but on our '05 Ody it wasn't easy! Finally went through the gasket around the steering column as I remember but it's been 8 years now since I did it so I might be (probably am) wrong.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

On my 2013, it was fished thru the steering wheel column gasket.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Back in the 60's I did that to fish 12 volt wires for an ammeter on the dash. Somehow the wire got wrapped around the column, ripped the insulation and torched the car
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Try any large grommet, take a long 1/4" flat screw driver and force thru. Then take wire and bend over tip and hold both sides along screwdriver blade and push thru already made hole. Watch closely for moving stuff or what happened to bdickson may result. Seal hole with black rtv and inclose wire in convelute.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Not sure how it was down but the Hitch Shop that did my BP install ran the Breakaway wire into the drivers compartment and coiled up under the mat. It comes in someplace around the steering column but I am not close to the car so can't say for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I use a different approach, magnetic brake lights on the top of the CRV and I route the break away connection up through the engine compartment and roll it up behind the fuse panel on the drivers side of the engine compartment when not towing. When employed, I route it out of the engine bay and through the drivers side door by the mirror. Has worked like a champ on multiple CRVs with no issues and no holes in the firewall.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just did mine today on a 2013 crv. under the hood driverside large group of wires with a rubber boot around them going thru firewall. Push a knife thru the top of the boot above wires. Inside behind & above gas pedal you will see the bundle of wires. I wrapped the switch wire ends in tape so not to damage them and to be able to push with a screwdriver thru the rubber boot as it is not easy to get it thru. Very tight fit trying to pull thru from inside, need long nose pliers. Was not easy at all. Good luck
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problem.

There is a direct path that goes all the way to the door frame between the inner wheel well and the front quarter panels. I used a flat 4 conductor cable and simply wrapped it around the edge & taped it down.

From there I took it down the kick panel and under the carpet all the way to the rear.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief400 View Post
Just did mine today on a 2013 crv. under the hood driverside large group of wires with a rubber boot around them going thru firewall. Push a knife thru the top of the boot above wires. Inside behind & above gas pedal you will see the bundle of wires. I wrapped the switch wire ends in tape so not to damage them and to be able to push with a screwdriver thru the rubber boot as it is not easy to get it thru. Very tight fit trying to pull thru from inside, need long nose pliers. Was not easy at all. Good luck
Chief, that's the ticket!

But you're right - you need to be pretty limber to fish the wire through inside the car.

I'm likely making this harder than it needs to be in my effort to make the hole in the grommet as small as possible. I don't know the tear resistance of EPDM and I don't want to create a problem down the road.

More advice please: where did you mount the breakaway switch? It was pretty cut and dried on my '03 CR-V, but the choices are a little more limited on the '13.

I appreciate everyone's assistance on this project!

Calypso
calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
More advice please: where did you mount the breakaway switch? It was pretty cut and dried on my '03 CR-V, but the choices are a little more limited on the '13.
My Blue Ox Tow Plate. HMMMM...got me thinking...

OK...either my brother in law drilled and tapped a screw hole for it or it came with one already.

OK...made me look. LOL

The plate came with a bracket that mounts to the plate. The break away is them mounted to that bracket.

See page 3 of instructions Blue Ox Products
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

to SKY_Boss

Sky_Boss

A few months back, we were communicating on the Blue Ox & SMI install for our CRV's and want to mention a problem that I was having and wonder if yours is the same.

Before each trip, I do a check on all of my brake lights on the coach and CRV, and found that when the RV brakes are activated the CRV turn signal did not work so I had to install another fuse switch in order to fix the problem.

Have you noticed if yours is the same?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Back in the 60's I did that to fish 12 volt wires for an ammeter on the dash. Somehow the wire got wrapped around the column, ripped the insulation and torched the car
Inside the cab of most modern cars the rotating steering shaft is enclosed/covered by the steering column....(forward of the fire wall)?
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote