Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #29

I have a 2012 SRX AWD. It tows as it should. But the start up is different. I just posted "Towing an SRX".

I don't see AWD as the problem.
Can't comment on the camber suggestions.
Two thoughts IMHO.
Could it be as someone else pointed out that the toad braking device is locking up the brakes and therefore keeping the tires from rolling?? The tires will only follow the M/H if the tires are allowed to roll. But you should notice a real drag from the toad. so not likely.

But, the steering wheel is unlocked when you start off. Could there be an electrical problem that locks up the steering intermitently preventing the steering wheel from turning.?? You would not notice a drag from the toad as above and going straight down the road everything would seem to be working.

If it was me, I'd get to some road with little traffic, put someone in the toad to watch what happens. I think that it is an electrical problem. If and when you find that the wheels will not turn, again with someone in the toad, turn on the engine (unlocks steering wheel ) and see if the wheels turn. To me that would indicate an electrical problem. Again IMHO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #30

Thanks Woody. We've done everything but that, so it's worth a shot.

Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #31

Our friends who are having the tracking problem with their 2013 Equinox just received a letter from Chevy saying that if they are having a problem to take it to the dealer. Seems that there may be an issue with the electric power steering used on the 4 cyl versions. Haven't taken it in yet.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #32

Dennis:

Thanks for the info. We have not heard from Chevrolet yet, but that may be because they have an old address for us from date of purchase. I'll have DW contact Chevrolet to see about this letter. The 3 dealers we went to were clueless, so I'll wait for Chevy's explanation and diagnosis before trying another one.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #33

Dennis:

Called Chevy HQ, they said there's some kind of warranty issue (not really a recall) with the power steering units and they called the local Chevy dealer here where I'm wintering. Went into have it inspected, first thing I told them was we weren't having any issues with the power steering unit when we drive it, and when it's being towed and then the power steering unit isn't engaged when ignition is in ACC mode. So, this issue isn't happening with my vehicle. Talked to the service manager and described what's happening when towing and he suggested for us to stop in the middle of a turn if I experience this again, get out and check to see if the steering wheel is locked (not really feasible unless I'm in a controlled environment). Before we take off on any trip we always check to see if the steering wheel is locked and when we arrive we check it again. It's not been locked as far as we know. It seems strange that the steering wheel would lock on it's own during towing and then unlock when stopped.

So, we're basically back to square one. This dealer is calling Chevy HQ to see if they have any suggestions. I'll report anything they tell me, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
letter from GM

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of 2012-2014 model year Buick Verano, 2011-2014 MY Chevrolet Cruze or Volt, 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain, or 2013-2014 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2012-2014 model year Buick Verano, 2011-2014 model year Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, and 2013-2014 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles may have increased friction in the steering system. This could cause the steering wheel to stick in the straight-ahead position after driving long distances on a straight highway. The steering wheel can be turned but it may require increased effort.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done:

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2012-2014 model year Buick Verano, 2011-2014 MY Chevrolet Cruze or Volt, 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain, or 2013-2014 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do:

If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement:

If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by November 30, 2015, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

The 2010-2012 Equinox will get a new pump and the 2013-2014 will get a new calibration.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #35

Beaner:

Thank you for that, I will re contact the dealer to see what to do now.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #36

Lanny, is yours the 4 cyl with electric PS? Our friend's 2013 that's having the same problem as you is a 4 cyl. Ours is the V6 which has hyd PS and like most, we've had no problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Lanny, is yours the 4 cyl with electric PS? Our friend's 2013 that's having the same problem as you is a 4 cyl. Ours is the V6 which has hyd PS and like most, we've had no problem.

I would be interested in this also. We have the 2012 Terrain with the 6 and have not noticed a problem but have only towed it about 1000 miles so far. Got it used about a year ago.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #38

Dennis:

Yes ours is the 4cyl Equinox. But we have not experienced any problem as described in the GM letter when driving the vehicle, only when it's being towed. The letter talks about the steering sticking when driving long distances in a straight line. Our problem will commence sometimes as soon as we hook up and pull out of an RV park.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #39

Lanny, understand that our problem is when towing not while driving but the "increased friction" does seem to match. Would be interesting to see what GM's fix is. Since the 4 cyl have electric PS then if the fix is a powered device then maybe the engine would have to be running. However if the fix involves a non powered item then wouldn't seem to matter whether driven or towed.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #40

Dennis:

I'm still waiting on the local Chevy dealer to decide what they want to do, in the interim DW says to trade it in and get a Jeep Wrangler :-) . Maybe she's onto something!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2011 Terrain, 4cyl, FWD and while it's not AWD, the rest of the car is almost identical to your Equinox (except for body style) and have not experienced this problem. We have received the notice from GM concerning the steering problem.

For you, I would try two different things.

First, I would tow the car WITHOUT the toad braking system engaged to make sure that it can't apply the brakes during a sharp turn.

Second, I would tow the car with the engine running to see if not having the electrical power steering may make the steering more difficult to turn.

With either of the above, if the car's steering tracks like it should, then one or the other may be your problem.

I do check our car when first taking off to insure the car's front tires are tracking normally. However, I have not made it a point to check them after driving for a while.....I will in the future.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's an idea that hasn't been posted. Once the vehicle is in neutral and the ignition switch is in ACC, DISCONNECT the battery and all power into the vehicle from the MH. Test to see if the issue is still present. If there is an electrical issue, it should be gone. JM2...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote