Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #43

We have a Volt (not towed), and got the same letter. From my understanding the friction is not due to the power steering, but rather the mechanisms in the steering column system itself. Therefore, towing for awhile and then making a sharp corner would exactly simulate the condition. In fact, it might be more likely when the power steering is not 'on'.

I would get the fixes done by Chevy as if you had the problem when driving and I'm betting dollars to donuts that the towing problem will go away.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #44

Thanks to all who offered sage advice, DW solved problem, we now are owners of 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #45

Darn Lanny, saw your post and thought maybe you had the fix. On second thought, guess you do. Congrats on the new toad.
Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #46

We have an electric power steering 2013 Equinox and received the letter from GM. The letter indicates the condition may commence after driving straight for a while. However, one poster here indicated the problem arose immediately upon towing when making a turn. A search on another popular RV forum revealed someone else with the problem said they were neglecting to pull the fuse, which powers the steering. According to them, pulling the fuse solved the problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #47

I was riding with my friend when his 2013 4 cyl Equinox failed to track though at least two turns. As we exited the 2nd turn, black marks on the hwy from the wheels dragging, we stopped and I checked the Equinox. Fuse was pulled, Trans in N, and ignition was still in ACC. He has an appt with the dealer Monday.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #48

Dennis-I would be interested to hear what happens at the appointment.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #49

Dennis curious if you learned anything at Chevrolet on the Equinox tracking issue. I also have had this issue on a 2011 AWD on occasion with no answers from my dealer. This Friday they are to check it for the issue mentioned in the GM letter for a tight steering problem on some Equinox's. Have seen a few people with this problem but have not heard anyone finding a answer. I would prefer not to be forced into Lanny's answer just for this reason alone.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I was riding with my friend when his 2013 4 cyl Equinox failed to track though at least two turns. As we exited the 2nd turn, black marks on the hwy from the wheels dragging, we stopped and I checked the Equinox. Fuse was pulled, Trans in N, and ignition was still in ACC. He has an appt with the dealer Monday.
I know our Chevy car we tow, the ign needs to be 'on' position for the steering to unlock. ACC position, the steering is still locked.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #51

The dealer made the adjustment called for in the letter but didn't tow or attempt to duplicate the problem. We'll likely hook it up this weekend and see what happens.

Fingers crossed!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #52

96 Wide glide, thanks but the issue is not that they are in proper ignition On, fuse pulled and in neutral. My 2011 Equinox AWD and as have read from some others with AWD that on occasion the driver notices front tires are not steering (castering) as normal. If I attempt to recreate it everything works properly. Then one day you make a turn from campground or filling station and see in mirror the tire is straight foward and being skidded side ways like a tire on a tandem axle trailer is in a sharp turn.
I have wondered but not proven if the tail swing of MH may effect the Towed some way. Say you turn left the tail must go right and car will track to right prior to following MH and wheels are castering right then to the left following the MH left turn.
The action of a small right turn to see traffic then a full left turn may also be when it occurs. Need to test this theory more.