Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cut knife, sk canada
Posts: 47
Smile 2012 Chev Malibu LS

can a 2012 chev Malibu be flat towed
__________________

__________________
rvc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,713
Even though the 2008-2011 Malibu 4 cyl vehicles were flat-towable, the Remco site states that the 2012 models must be towed on a dolly. According to Remco, the transmission is now the 6T40 which is the same model as used by the Cruze which was determined by GM in 2012 not to be towable. I believe that in previous years the transmission was the 6T45.
__________________

__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,073
What docj says. You need to know the specific transmission in use, as there are configuration differences in what superficially is the same model, but most Malibus are no longer towable because of the 6T40 tranny. If the dealer says it is towable, confirm via GM Customer Support for that specific VIN. During 2012 Chevy started inserting letters in the owner manual stating that the car was NOT towable, even though the manual originally said so.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Member
 
hteixeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 40
I'm looking at a 2012 Chevy Malibu LS - the 2012 Dinghy Towing Guide states that they are towable 4 down and I just called GM Customer Support (800-222-1020 spoke to Brittney) and she confirmed for 13 times that they are towable.
__________________
Hugo - RV Rookie
2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35R W22
hteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Member
 
hteixeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 40
remco now states the following for the 2012 Chevy Malibu LS:
  • Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
  • When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
  • Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation. Follow procedures within Owner's Manual for guidance when towing this vehicle.
__________________
Hugo - RV Rookie
2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35R W22
hteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cut knife, sk canada
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hteixeira View Post
remco now states the following for the 2012 Chevy Malibu LS:

[*]Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.[*]It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH[*]When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.[*]Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation. Follow procedures within Owner's Manual for guidance when towing this vehicle.
I recently purchased a 2012 chev malibu LT and will be using as toad vehicle. I have all tow bars, etc. the owners manual, and mt research have revealed it is towable. have not used as yet, but am ready to go. if I can make a recommendation, it is to have a fuse master switch installed. the owners manual says to remove ignition sensor fuse, by installing the fuse master, this eliminates need to remove fuse each time towed.

rvc123
__________________
rvc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,073
Interesting, cause I test drove a really sharp 2013 Malibu LTZ back in February and the sales lady looked up the towability in the owner manual as I was driving. She quoted to me "must be towed on a trailer or dolly", so I said "no thanks" andheaded back to the dealership.. I didn't read the section myself, tho.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cut knife, sk canada
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Interesting, cause I test drove a really sharp 2013 Malibu LTZ back in February and the sales lady looked up the towability in the owner manual as I was driving. She quoted to me "must be towed on a trailer or dolly", so I said "no thanks" andheaded back to the dealership.. I didn't read the section myself, tho.
that's right 2013 need to be trailered or dolly, 2012 can bt towed, changed in 2013 with transmission change
__________________
rvc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,073
Both Chevy and Ford have had a lot of mix-ups on towability the lastcouple years. When the new 6 speed autos were designed (a joint Ford-GM endeavor), towability has a major objective and the resulting tranny was designed from the ground up with that in mind. My Acadia has the original and it works & tows great, but the junior engineers at GM and Ford that did subsequent derivatives from it messed up the towing capability in almost every case. What a shame!
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Both Chevy and Ford have had a lot of mix-ups on towability the lastcouple years. When the new 6 speed autos were designed (a joint Ford-GM endeavor), towability has a major objective and the resulting tranny was designed from the ground up with that in mind. My Acadia has the original and it works & tows great, but the junior engineers at GM and Ford that did subsequent derivatives from it messed up the towing capability in almost every case. What a shame!
Unfortunately, with Class A MH sales running slightly over 1,000/mo in total and sales of all motorized units only ~2X this (according to RVIA data), the marketplace for towable vehicles just isn't all that large. I'm resigned to probably having to buy a manual transmission vehicle the next time around or a 4x4 whose transfer case can be disengaged. It's a good thing that so many of us RVers are old enough to remember how to shift a manual transmission; the only problem these days is finding a vehicle with one.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
HicksRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 845
I have a 2012 Malibu that I'm towing behind my Newmar.
Tows perfectly. The manual says to run the engine at the end of a long tow to lube the tranny.
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Member
 
thirdwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
2012 Malibu is towable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I have a 2012 Malibu that I'm towing behind my Newmar.
Tows perfectly. The manual says to run the engine at the end of a long tow to lube the tranny.
I agree with HicksRA, our 2012 Malibu has the 6 speed auto and my owners manual states that it can be towed 4 down. We have towed it for 4K miles so far and it is fine. Great car, by the way.
__________________
Al & Jan--Emilee and Sophia, the pugs.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV with M & G Compressor
2013 Jeep Wrangler, M & G brake.
thirdwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Both Chevy and Ford have had a lot of mix-ups on towability the lastcouple years. When the new 6 speed autos were designed (a joint Ford-GM endeavor), towability has a major objective and the resulting tranny was designed from the ground up with that in mind. My Acadia has the original and it works & tows great, but the junior engineers at GM and Ford that did subsequent derivatives from it messed up the towing capability in almost every case. What a shame!
Gary,

Contrary to your assessment that the Junior engineer screwed it up, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Limitations for towing any GM vehicle are due to vehicle application. Every 6T30/40/45/50 has a feature built in allowing dinghy tow capability. However, factors like effective final drive ratio, under hood packaging, ride height, facia design, vehicle shape/width and how it interacts with the wind tumbling off the tow vehicle all can affect whether the vehicle in the end is towable. All those factors affect cooling to the trans.

I can't discuss reasons behind revoking the Cruze tow ability. It is the only GM vehicle to have such status changed. Believe me, we tried every thing we could to try to make it possible.
__________________
GM Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
MJFZ's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Engineer

Gary,

Contrary to your assessment that the Junior engineer screwed it up, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Limitations for towing any GM vehicle are due to vehicle application. Every 6T30/40/45/50 has a feature built in allowing dinghy tow capability. However, factors like effective final drive ratio, under hood packaging, ride height, facia design, vehicle shape/width and how it interacts with the wind tumbling off the tow vehicle all can affect whether the vehicle in the end is towable. All those factors affect cooling to the trans.

I can't discuss reasons behind revoking the Cruze tow ability. It is the only GM vehicle to have such status changed. Believe me, we tried every thing we could to try to make it possible.
So, who screwed up? I would believe the engineering team was involved in every step, including the writing and review of the owners manual. A serious mistake in design was made somewhere along the way to cause the General to change status.

Mike
__________________

__________________
NHSO
2016 DSDP 4369
2012 DSDP 3734--sold
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coachmen: New 2012 Coachmen Apex Flacamper Forest River Owners Forum 1 05-29-2013 02:45 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.