Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Smile 2012 Chev Malibu LS

can a 2012 chev Malibu be flat towed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Even though the 2008-2011 Malibu 4 cyl vehicles were flat-towable, the Remco site states that the 2012 models must be towed on a dolly. According to Remco, the transmission is now the 6T40 which is the same model as used by the Cruze which was determined by GM in 2012 not to be towable. I believe that in previous years the transmission was the 6T45.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What docj says. You need to know the specific transmission in use, as there are configuration differences in what superficially is the same model, but most Malibus are no longer towable because of the 6T40 tranny. If the dealer says it is towable, confirm via GM Customer Support for that specific VIN. During 2012 Chevy started inserting letters in the owner manual stating that the car was NOT towable, even though the manual originally said so.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

I'm looking at a 2012 Chevy Malibu LS - the 2012 Dinghy Towing Guide states that they are towable 4 down and I just called GM Customer Support (800-222-1020 spoke to Brittney) and she confirmed for 13 times that they are towable.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

remco now states the following for the 2012 Chevy Malibu LS:
  • Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
  • When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
  • Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation. Follow procedures within Owner's Manual for guidance when towing this vehicle.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hteixeira View Post
remco now states the following for the 2012 Chevy Malibu LS:

[*]Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.[*]It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH[*]When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.[*]Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation. Follow procedures within Owner's Manual for guidance when towing this vehicle.
I recently purchased a 2012 chev malibu LT and will be using as toad vehicle. I have all tow bars, etc. the owners manual, and mt research have revealed it is towable. have not used as yet, but am ready to go. if I can make a recommendation, it is to have a fuse master switch installed. the owners manual says to remove ignition sensor fuse, by installing the fuse master, this eliminates need to remove fuse each time towed.

rvc123
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, cause I test drove a really sharp 2013 Malibu LTZ back in February and the sales lady looked up the towability in the owner manual as I was driving. She quoted to me "must be towed on a trailer or dolly", so I said "no thanks" andheaded back to the dealership.. I didn't read the section myself, tho.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Interesting, cause I test drove a really sharp 2013 Malibu LTZ back in February and the sales lady looked up the towability in the owner manual as I was driving. She quoted to me "must be towed on a trailer or dolly", so I said "no thanks" andheaded back to the dealership.. I didn't read the section myself, tho.
that's right 2013 need to be trailered or dolly, 2012 can bt towed, changed in 2013 with transmission change
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Both Chevy and Ford have had a lot of mix-ups on towability the lastcouple years. When the new 6 speed autos were designed (a joint Ford-GM endeavor), towability has a major objective and the resulting tranny was designed from the ground up with that in mind. My Acadia has the original and it works & tows great, but the junior engineers at GM and Ford that did subsequent derivatives from it messed up the towing capability in almost every case. What a shame!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Both Chevy and Ford have had a lot of mix-ups on towability the lastcouple years. When the new 6 speed autos were designed (a joint Ford-GM endeavor), towability has a major objective and the resulting tranny was designed from the ground up with that in mind. My Acadia has the original and it works & tows great, but the junior engineers at GM and Ford that did subsequent derivatives from it messed up the towing capability in almost every case. What a shame!
Unfortunately, with Class A MH sales running slightly over 1,000/mo in total and sales of all motorized units only ~2X this (according to RVIA data), the marketplace for towable vehicles just isn't all that large. I'm resigned to probably having to buy a manual transmission vehicle the next time around or a 4x4 whose transfer case can be disengaged. It's a good thing that so many of us RVers are old enough to remember how to shift a manual transmission; the only problem these days is finding a vehicle with one.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

I have a 2012 Malibu that I'm towing behind my Newmar.
Tows perfectly. The manual says to run the engine at the end of a long tow to lube the tranny.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

2012 Malibu is towable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I have a 2012 Malibu that I'm towing behind my Newmar.
Tows perfectly. The manual says to run the engine at the end of a long tow to lube the tranny.
I agree with HicksRA, our 2012 Malibu has the 6 speed auto and my owners manual states that it can be towed 4 down. We have towed it for 4K miles so far and it is fine. Great car, by the way.
thirdwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Gary,

Contrary to your assessment that the Junior engineer screwed it up, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Limitations for towing any GM vehicle are due to vehicle application. Every 6T30/40/45/50 has a feature built in allowing dinghy tow capability. However, factors like effective final drive ratio, under hood packaging, ride height, facia design, vehicle shape/width and how it interacts with the wind tumbling off the tow vehicle all can affect whether the vehicle in the end is towable. All those factors affect cooling to the trans.

I can't discuss reasons behind revoking the Cruze tow ability. It is the only GM vehicle to have such status changed. Believe me, we tried every thing we could to try to make it possible.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Engineer

Gary,

Contrary to your assessment that the Junior engineer screwed it up, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Limitations for towing any GM vehicle are due to vehicle application. Every 6T30/40/45/50 has a feature built in allowing dinghy tow capability. However, factors like effective final drive ratio, under hood packaging, ride height, facia design, vehicle shape/width and how it interacts with the wind tumbling off the tow vehicle all can affect whether the vehicle in the end is towable. All those factors affect cooling to the trans.

I can't discuss reasons behind revoking the Cruze tow ability. It is the only GM vehicle to have such status changed. Believe me, we tried every thing we could to try to make it possible.
So, who screwed up? I would believe the engineering team was involved in every step, including the writing and review of the owners manual. A serious mistake in design was made somewhere along the way to cause the General to change status.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote