Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

2012 Chevy Silverado 4x4 towing

We bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado 4x4 to tow behind our motorhome. The dealership showed us how to put it in N so we can set it in the tow mode, but we have forgotten how. Our dealership is about 50 miles north of us and we will be back up there next week, just thought I'd ask on here how to do it so we don't have to let the dealership know how forgetful we are ! Thx !!

We do have the manual to the truck and have followed the instructions, but can't get it to go in N. We think we are doing something wrong and figure if someone can explain it in easy to understand instructions, maybe we can get it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Start the engine, put your foot on the brake, shift to neutral and turn the rotary selector all the way clockwise (into the spring loaded area) and hold until you get the red N on the rotary selector. Release. Then slowly move the shift lever thru R to park. Done.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

We tried that and it did not work. There must be something wrong with the truck ? We just bought it a couple of days ago.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawliga View Post
We bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado 4x4 to tow behind our motorhome. The dealership showed us how to put it in N so we can set it in the tow mode, but we have forgotten how. Our dealership is about 50 miles north of us and we will be back up there next week, just thought I'd ask on here how to do it so we don't have to let the dealership know how forgetful we are ! Thx !!

We do have the manual to the truck and have followed the instructions, but can't get it to go in N. We think we are doing something wrong and figure if someone can explain it in easy to understand instructions, maybe we can get it.
Kawliga,
Now, the wife does all that stuff when I handle the tow bar end of things but, she said that what you're possibly missing in steps is, are you putting the emergency brake on, as one of the steps to prepping it for towing?

Our truck, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 is very close in operation to yours. So, maybe try and doing all of what was suggest AND, putting the emergency brake on too. Remember, you have to hold that rotary knob for about 3-5 full seconds to get that unit to shift into neutral. Let me know if that suggestion works.
Scott

On edit: Kawliga,
I just brought up your trucks owners manual on a PDF platform and, it's almost the same exact manual for our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. But, yes, it does state on page 9-53, in step #2, SET THE PARKING BRAKE. But, in that same sentence, it also says to ALSO, STEP ON THE BRAKES AND HOLD THEM ON.

Now, if you're following ALL of these steps, in exact order, and you're still not getting it into neutral, you may in fact, have something wrong with the truck. But, do this and see if it helps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

We find you MUST hold the brake pedal down and the shift over can take up to 15-30 seconds or even longer, especially if it's been cold out.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

No, still didn't work. He held the rotary knob over for 30 seconds. He did set the parking brake. We are supposed to get running boards put on one day this week, we will have them look into it that day. I'm sure they will fix the problem if there is one.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

And I will let you know if we were doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the truck.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
When I put ours into neutral, I turn the key to on but do not start it until the Transfer Case has shifted. Maybe that will work for you.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
No, still didn't work. He held the rotary knob over for 30 seconds. He did set the parking brake. We are supposed to get running boards put on one day this week, we will have them look into it that day. I'm sure they will fix the problem if there is one.
To make sure there is no gear load on your transfer case, drive the pu to a level parking area. When you are nearly stopped, place the trans in N and allow the pu to stop rolling without applying the brake. Go through your tow neutral procedure. The transfer case will not shift to N if there is any gear load.

If the transfer case still won't shift to neutral, you most likely have a weak solenoid that push/pulls the gear back and forth. The dealer should be able to test the solenoid.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
To make sure there is no gear load on your transfer case, drive the pu to a level parking area. When you are nearly stopped, place the trans in N and allow the pu to stop rolling without applying the brake. Go through your tow neutral procedure. The transfer case will not shift to N if there is any gear load.

If the transfer case still won't shift to neutral, you most likely have a weak solenoid that push/pulls the gear back and forth. The dealer should be able to test the solenoid.
Vapor3000,
I kind-a agree with what your saying but, if she puts the transmission in neutral, there already is NO LOAD on any of the gears in the transfer case. And the input torque from drive shafts would be nothing also since they're not turning because she's stopped.
Scott
Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Vapor3000,
I kind-a agree with what your saying but, if she puts the transmission in neutral, there already is NO LOAD on any of the gears in the transfer case. And the input torque from drive shafts would be nothing also since they're not turning because she's stopped.
Scott
FIRE UP
The trans being in nuetral will not totally relieve all the gear load on the transfer case. Two completely different devices. It won't hurt for the OP to try to see if it helps. I can tell you it helps my 4x4.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #12

Just want to let all of you know that we took the truck back to the dealership and had someone show us how to get this done. The guy that helped us did it right now and it worked. My husband tried it, would not work. Salesman tried again, would NOT work. After fiddling around with it, they discovered you gotta turn that knob fast, don't stop at all the gears, I think they said. Anyway, problem solved. We've tried it several times after getting home and it is working like a charm. Thank you everyone who tried to help us. I love this website ! It's so nice to help each other out ! Thanks again !!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Just want to let all of you know that we took the truck back to the dealership and had someone show us how to get this done. The guy that helped us did it right now and it worked. My husband tried it, would not work. Salesman tried again, would NOT work. After fiddling around with it, they discovered you gotta turn that knob fast, don't stop at all the gears, I think they said. Anyway, problem solved. We've tried it several times after getting home and it is working like a charm. Thank you everyone who tried to help us. I love this website ! It's so nice to help each other out ! Thanks again !!
kawliga,
Glad you got it working without any cost. I don't know just how long, you were "stopping" at each selection on the transfer case shift knob but, maybe, just maybe you were confusing the shift motor by doing so. And that's why things weren't working correctly for you. I didn't know you were basically "delaying" the actual shift from two-wheel-drive to Neutral by semi-stopping at each selection. Otherwise, I'd have told you to make the turn on that knob, in one sweeping movement. Oh well, no biggie. You got it working and that's all that counts.

Good luck on towing that truck. You'll be happy.
Scott
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Glad you got it worked out. These P/U's make great toads.

Tags
chevy, tow, towing