Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Charger fron RVI

I have ordered the battery charger from RVI. So it should be waiting when I get home. So hopefully it will solve the issue.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
There is an easy solution to all of this - and you won't have to pull any fuses, disconnect any cables, etc. Add a charge line from the motorhome to car. There are several commercial products to chose from: ToadCharge (LSL Products) is one; the other is from RVi products. Your battery stays charged and no more problems.

I have a Honda Fit and the battery is about the size of a motorcycle battery. My RVi brake requires 12V to operate. I added a ToadCharge before I started towing and have never had a problem with the battery running down.
I have ordered the RVI charger. Question did you have to add the ground wire at the plug?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #17
RV LIFE Support Team

We still had problems after we put in the battery charge line. Fusemaster solved all our problems.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We still had problems after we put in the battery charge line. Fusemaster solved all our problems.
If I understand this correctly, the fusemaster removed battery power to the ACC plug. Do you have a tow brake system and if so how do you power it?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #19
RV LIFE Support Team

We have a Ready Brake system. Doesn't require 12v.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #20

Both sold
Old 10-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #21
RV LIFE Support Team

test

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2014 CRV and had the same dead battery issue. Supposedly have a charging line, but still had dead battery. Not always, but often. I tried pulling fuses, still had the problem. This week I went to Honda and bought the Odyssey battery tray, ($10) and then to Sears for a group 24 battery. Pulled out the tiny battery and put in the new larger, heavier battery in it's place. It's interesting that the battery area in the CRV is made for a larger battery. I even used the original hold-down and shown in the second posting here. The battery fits, just. It's a bit tight, but it fits. I will tow again next week, so we'll see if this is the fix for sure, at least for me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #23

Please post your findings.

I have a '14 CR-V. Got the towed but still looking for the coach!
Both sold
Old 10-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I have a 2014 CRV and had the same dead battery issue. Supposedly have a charging line, but still had dead battery. Not always, but often. I tried pulling fuses, still had the problem. This week I went to Honda and bought the Odyssey battery tray, ($10) and then to Sears for a group 24 battery. Pulled out the tiny battery and put in the new larger, heavier battery in it's place. It's interesting that the battery area in the CRV is made for a larger battery. I even used the original hold-down and shown in the second posting here. The battery fits, just. It's a bit tight, but it fits. I will tow again next week, so we'll see if this is the fix for sure, at least for me.

Did you have the battery charger connected to your charging line? I do not believe the line alone will charge the battery.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #25

I also have a 2012 CRV and have a fuse bypass switch installed. If I forget to throw the switch to take the Nav system offline, I end up with a dead battery. If I remember to bypass the Nav system, there is never a problem.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post

When I changed mine, I could not believe how well the new battery and tray fits. It is almost as though the car was designed for the larger battery and in the midst of production they decided to reduce cost and go with a smaller battery.
Under normal conditions, I suppose the Grp 51 battery will suffice but in the northern colder climate, it becomes an issue with cold starts. As a toad, if you use a braking device that requires 12V power, just pulling the fuse does not do the trick. Even with a charge line.
Honda started putting in the Grp 24 battery in 2015. Wonder why they did that?
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the same problem with my '05 Odyssey. It's not the size of the battery that needs increasing, just add a charge line like I did and the problem is solved permanently.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Had the same problem with my '05 Odyssey. It's not the size of the battery that needs increasing, just add a charge line like I did and the problem is solved permanently.

Little different scenario here Mr. D. The CRV has an undersized battery to begin with. Even with a charge line, if you are using a braking device that requires 12V supply, the charge line cannot keep up during long days. All you need to do is run the battery down a couple times and it's toast.
The larger battery in fact is the same battery tray and size as the Ody uses.

Tags
battery, toad, tow, towing