Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
2012 f150 flat towing

I just finished setting up my 2012 f150 for flat towing. Glad to say it works great!

2008 Monaco Diplomat SFT
2012 F150 4x4 crew cab
Ready Brute elite tow bar with surge brake
Roadmaster removable adapter plates on the f150 (hardly see them)

I set up the lights to work from the F150 light system rather than pulling a seperate light harness. Very easy to tap into the f150 harness and install the l/r/running lights. Also used the 12v+ from the rv 7 pin to keep the f150 battery charged while being towed.

Used diodes on the light wires and dual breakers on the charging line.

For a toad that weighs 5,800 lbs, you can barely feel it back there. The surge brake system appears to work great. Didnt sense any increase in braking power required to stop the coach and toad over just the coach.

The 2012 f150 4x4 has a new feature to electronically switch the transfer case to neutral specifically for flat towing. Very easy to switch it in and out. No need to pull fuses, run transmission pumps or use a driveshaft disconnect.

Great set-up for towing a large toad.

Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
I just purchased a 2012 F150 for towing behind the MH. Looking at rigging a light bar on the rear but your approach sounds much better! I was somewhat afraid of tapping into the existing lights as I am unsure of how the lights are controlled (electronics or just a switch). Didn't want to take a chance of frying something.

Did you tap directly into the lighting system? You say you used diodes - was that on the MH to combine the turn/brake lights? or did you use them in the lighting circuit somehow?

Additionally, why did you run the charge line? As I understand, you turn the key to the OFF (not locked) position. Shouldn't be any drain in that position. I might consider running one just to ensure battery is kept up for braking but doubt I really need to - battery should stay charged unless doing a LOT of braking.

If you have any diagrams, photos that may assist me in replicating your mods they would be greatly appreciated.

lenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Thank you for the infor. I have been looking at replacing my suburban with a F150. I knew they could be flat towed as I had to point out to the sales guy. I had done my home work b4 going looking up on line the owners manual. Nice trucks but not sure I will make the move this year.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I ran a 5 wire flat female plug from the front of my F150, headed up towards the battery, grounded the white wire, took the blue to a fuse and then to the positive on the battery.

Continued on with the yellow, green and brown through the firewall at the back of the fuse box and into the passenger footwell.

Remove the access panel at the passenger footwell and you will find a junction box with a large lever type connector and several normal multi pin connectors.

Remove the large lever connector and tap the following:
Green to purple/pink. (Right turn/stop)
Yellow to tan/brown (Left turn/stop)

Then remove the tan plug on lower right of the big lever plug and tap the brown wire onto the yellow/green wire ( tail lights)

Finished should look something like this:

I then made up a short connector to go from the 5pin flat at the front of the f150 to the round connector on my motorhome. I embedded diodes into this connector to isolate the f150 from the MH and added another fuse to the charge circuit so its protected at both connections. Works great!

Front view of F150 with hidden draw bar connectors, 5 pin electric and brake away connectors.

Hope this helps!

2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE
2012 F150 4x4 toad
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I will be setting up my tow lights a little different as I will be using the Roadmaster Brakemaster that uses a air cyl to mash the truck brakes also activating the all 3 brake lights so to keep it simple as i didnt want to install bulbs into the tail light I built a light bar that goes into the 2 inch receiver and plugs in to a 4 wire flat plug wiring from front to rear also hooking a charge wire.
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote