Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 Ford Escape

In FMCA's June 2012 (p18 & 19) is a notice that Ford published in FEB 2012 a Supplement stating that these vehicles cannot be flat towed 4 down. We purchased a 2012 Escape to tow in Mar 2012 asking specifically and being assured that with proper transmission fluid adjustment we could 4-down tow behind our MH.
WHAT GIVES WITH THIS? I wonder what our recourse might be.
Any thoughts except that we should have purchased a Jeep?
Jim Felts
jhfelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From what I've seen, Ford has decided it replaced to many transmissions in the Escape. Chevy had the same issue with their Cruze. About the only options you have are to add a Remco lube pump for about $1,000 or go back to Ford and try to get them to buy back the vehicle. If the vehicle is a FWD, you could also buy a tow dolly.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would try for a buy back from Ford as you were not given the latest correct info when you purchased. We almost purchased a 2011 Escape when we read about all the trans problems. then switched to the Chevy Equinox. Sure glad we did now as we have many trouble free toad miles.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

The first thing you need to do is contact the dealer where you purchased it , the person who told you it was towable and ask them what they are going to do to rectify the problem. They will not acknowledge any responsibility, of course, and tell you to go away.

Second contact Ford Motor Co. customer relations and file a complaint about the mis-representation of the product by the dealer. Ford may offer a repurchase settlement, may just stall you til you go away, or may just say no.

Third contact your Sate Attorney General's office and file a complaint against the dealer and Ford Motor Co. If this doesn't produce any successful outcome, which is 50/50 at best, contact an attorney and settle in for a long legal battle.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

We needed to purchase a toad as the car we had needed to be trailered. It couldn't be modified by Remco, and it would've negated the warranty anyway. We looked into a 2012 Ford Escape and called the company (in April, 2012)). The company rep told us that it was towable BUT the transmission fluid levels had to be checked and verified by an authorized dealer/service facility EVERY TIME we towed. This meant after we stopped for a few days and then headed out on the road again. We quickly figured out this would be next to impossible and a pain. We checked out the Honda CRV and felt totally comfortable buying it for a toad. I will say it was not a choice high up on my list of cars. I agreed to test drive it solely because it was towable 4 down. As things turned out....I LOVE my CRV. The car I traded was a 2010 Mercedes GLK350, and it doesn't hold a candle to the CRV. Go figure.....

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2007 Mandalay Valencia 8' w/Blue Ox & Air Force One
2012 Honda CRV toad
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

It's funny that you this should be talked aboi]ut because I have heard the same story not just about the Esacape bout many other as well... I have been told the same thing in cars and trucks I have bought in the past time and I have still added a drive line disconnect or put the transfer case in 4WD transfer case in nurtal and still have towed bwhind myt coach and never had a problem at all... [moderator edit]
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Somewhere else on the site we have posted messages about our 2012 Escape...we lost the transmission at 2000 miles/8 weeks old while towing in October 2011. The transmission was replaced by Ford at a dealership in AZ (we'd bought the car in Ohio) and a Remco pump was installed at the same time. We've only towed a short distance since, but it worked well. We have friends with a '10 model and no problems with lots of towing and another with an '11 who is on his second transmission and has no pump. When we took our 2012 in for an oil change and checkup in preparation for the summer towing season, the dealer assured us that our warranty was still in effect and that we could still flat tow.

Mary
'04 Dutch Star
2012 Ford Escape LTD
mcw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In late 2004 we wanted to buy a 2005 Honda Odyssey. We called Honda and they said no problem towing four down, they even sent the OK and correct towing instructions to us on Honda letterhead. In 2006 I started seeing posts on various forums saying that Honda no longer allowed it to be towed four down. After prolonged "negotiations" with the Honda legal dept., the WA and CA AG's office, they finally paid for the towing gear we had installed.
Had we not had it in writing we'd have been out of luck. In fact they were VERY surprised when I told them I had the letter and asked for a copy of it. But it wasn't until the got notice that the CA AG's office was going for binding arbitration that they decided to pay up. I think we could have held out for re-purchase but we still needed the cargo room anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Think I will just keep my little 2007 Saturn Vue, its a stick.

I've had no issues and it was towed by previous owner too. It has about 78k miles and still running and looking good. If they still made a Saturn I would have another new one. I never really had a small car before but I like this one. I've had it a couple years, my only repairs were a new battery and a new gas cap, good little vehicle.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford