Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #1

2012 ford focus with readybrute surge brake system

I had the brake cable installed by a shop in Elkhart IN that was on NSA's list of experienced installers. Handed hi the brake cable and break away cable. Toad has Demco base plate.
The guy routes the brake cable to the front of car and used a scrap piece of metal to mount the end of the cable using a clamp.
He used wire ties to secure the scrap metal to a PLASTIC support post that was centered in the grill.
He forgot to install the break away. (Probably a good thing after seeing his work on the brake cable). I have since changed the design so I don't have pictures.
Does anyone have pictures of their break away cable set up? How bout the brake cable?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I routed the break away cable to come out near the connection point for the tow bar arm on the driver's side. The break away cable doesn't really need or have any required routing other than coming out somewhere in the front and close to the tow bar arms since the tow bar part of the cable is wire tied to the tow bar arm on the driver's side. And you don't really have to worry about smooth movement of the cable, so tight turns are ok, the only time the cable will ever be used is in an emergency and I'm sure the car will suffer greater damage from rolling down the road without a driver than from the cable being pulled around sharp bends.

As for the braking cable, I did my own and mounted the front connecting end of the cable through a hole I drilled through a frame member that the hood release is also mounted on, using the supplied nylon nut that came with the ReadyBrute Elite.

I would guess your installer either wasn't the brightest light bulb in the box or he pawned it off to someone not very experienced. You have to take the list of installers that ReadyBrute supplies with a grain of salt. I checked with someone on the list and he told me he carried some products sold by NSA, but had never installed a ReadyBrute or the cables on any vehicles but thought he could do it if I wanted him to try. I decided that if someone with no experience was going to be doing it, it might as well be me and not someone else that I would have to pay. I actually thought that installing the mounting base plate onto the front of my toad was harder than the brake cables.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What he said.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I routed the break away cable to come out near the connection point for the tow bar arm on the driver's side. The break away cable doesn't really need or have any required routing other than coming out somewhere in the front and close to the tow bar arms since the tow bar part of the cable is wire tied to the tow bar arm on the driver's side. And you don't really have to worry about smooth movement of the cable, so tight turns are ok, the only time the cable will ever be used is in an emergency and I'm sure the car will suffer greater damage from rolling down the road without a driver than from the cable being pulled around sharp bends.

As for the braking cable, I did my own and mounted the front connecting end of the cable through a hole I drilled through a frame member that the hood release is also mounted on, using the supplied nylon nut that came with the ReadyBrute Elite.

I would guess your installer either wasn't the brightest light bulb in the box or he pawned it off to someone not very experienced. You have to take the list of installers that ReadyBrute supplies with a grain of salt. I checked with someone on the list and he told me he carried some products sold by NSA, but had never installed a ReadyBrute or the cables on any vehicles but thought he could do it if I wanted him to try. I decided that if someone with no experience was going to be doing it, it might as well be me and not someone else that I would have to pay. I actually thought that installing the mounting base plate onto the front of my toad was harder than the brake cables.

I see you don't have a 2012 ford focus.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see you don't have a 2012 ford focus.

And neither do I. But unless there is something about the Focus that is extremely different from my Ram or Easy's Captiva, the principle is the same. The Readybrake works by pulling on a cable that is attached to your toad's brake pedal. Basically, the cable needs to be routed from the front of your vehicle (I drilled a hole in the canter of the bumper and used the nylon sleeve) through the firewall and attached to the arm of the brake pedal. As long as there are no sharp turns in the routing, it will work fine.
The break-away works on the same principle, but, like EasyRider said, you don't have to worry about the sharp turns because it only works once. I just zip-tied mine in several places. My break-away cable comes out next to the driver's side base plate.
Some toads have a double firewall, and I understand that can make the install a little more difficult.
I had a mechanic install the base plates, and I did the Readybrake install myself. And I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person out there.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I know it's not a Focus, but maybe it'll help out...
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

I can't seem to find a place to anchor the break away cable clamp box. Be nice to see what other 2012 Focus owners did.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just attached the break away clamp box upside down on the bottom of a front frame member. Once a year I'll give it a pump of grease from grease gun, the rest of the year it's forgotten about, so super easy access is not really required.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ford