Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
2012 Honda Fit Brake Relay Question

Hi Everyone - I'm wiring up the brake lights on my 2012 Honda Fit (Auto) and opted to use a 4 diode kit, so the Brake lights will function as running lights, brake lights, and signal lights.

I'm using an auxiliary braking system (of course) that physically presses the brake pedal, and when the brake pedal is pressed the Fits brake lights come on even when the engine isn't running. These override the diode kit - so if I'm braking and signaling that I'm exiting the highway, it only looks like I'm braking.

To prevent this from happening it appears as though I can install the Roadmaster Brake light Relay kit - Roadmaster part #88400. This prevents the car from operating the taillights unless the car is actually running.

My questions are - is there an alternative to using the Brake Light Relay? As in, is there a fuse I can pull that will accomplish the same thing?

If not, has anyone installed the Roadmaster relay kit on a Honda Fit and does it work as it's supposed to?

Yes I know they recommend drilling holes and using different bulbs. The problem I have with this is that the brake lights in the fit will still activate when the brake pedal is pressed. It seems like a sloppy way to go.

Thanks for your help!

2012 Winnebago Aspect 30C with Honda Fit TOAD.
More About Me: TrekWithUs.com
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
More info - it looks as though the Roadmaster Relay Kit only works with Roadmaster braking systems - or at least one of the wires is supposed to attach to the braking system, so I guess that's out.

It looks like my only option is to use a 2-wire to 3-wire converter like the Tow Ready taillight converter found here: Electrical Wiring - Tow Ready, and then add 2 more diodes and all should be ok.

I realize that both the RV and the Car will be trying to light the brake lights using this setup. I'm still curious if there's a way around this. At the very least I imagine I'll need to charge the cars battery while towing to prevent it from running down.

Any people towing a newer Honda Fit? How did you resolve this?

2012 Winnebago Aspect 30C with Honda Fit TOAD.
More About Me: TrekWithUs.com
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
It sounds like who ever did the wiring did not take into account that your Fit uses a separate turn signal light from brake lights (a 3 way system). The converter you show in your second post would be one way to correct the problem. The alternate would be to use a Tow Daddy kit.

Tow Daddy has a kit for the Fit that is plug compatible - no splicing needed. I used the universal kit in mine because the new one was about 3 months late in coming out. The Tow Daddy kit flashes both the turn signal and stop lights when the motorhome is signaling a turn.

I was worried about the Fit battery (it's really small) so I installed a Toad Charge kit. I feed 12V through my 7-way plug into the 6-way on the Fit. The MH side is protected by a circuit breaker, the Fit side is protected by a charge regulator/circuit breaker.

I guess it will come down to price and complexity of the task. But you have to rewire the Fit with the proper converter to get the lights working as planned.
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote