2012 Jeep Mopar Harness Installation Update
I was iced in yesterday and decided to tackle the Mopar Tow Harness installation on my 2012 Wrangler Sport. Having read all of the posts on the installation and reading about some issues, I decided to document what I found.
First off, being energy conservative I look for the easiest ways to do things. I discovered an easier access to the upper harness plugs. By carefully prying off the end cap on the passenger side of the dash, I could remove the speaker assembly. There were three screws holding it in place (Photos 1-4) and removing it gave a clear view of the dreaded upper plug assembly through the glove compartment. (Photo 5)
Installing the new plug assembly was still not easy, but access to the locking mechanism on the upper plug and being able to reach both top and bottom helped.
Second, I also discovered the large wiring harness bracket on the firewall inside the engine compartment that other posts had mentioned exactly where the instructions show the hole to be drilled. The bracket is raised somewhat, so I figured I could drill the hole slightly under and behind the bracket. The outboard nut was removed and the bracket was just pulled out slightly but was not removed completely. Photos 7-9 show where the hole was located and Photo 10 shows the completed installation behind the bracket. The center of the hole is 1" above the body seam in the firewall which allows room for the rubber grommet.
A note about the rubber grommet through the firewall. The installation instructions say 1-1/8" hole, which is WRONG. Others have documented that it needs to be a 1-3/8" which is what I drilled. I had measured the groove in the rubber grommet and found it to be 1-1/2" in diameter, but went ahead and drilled 1-3/8" anyway. Getting that grommet in place was like stuffing 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack. A 1-1/2" hole might have been much better.
Anyway, I hope this helps out anyone who is getting ready to undertake this task. All in all it was not a bad job once the fender and inner liner are removed and took a total of about 2 hours start to finish. What I found may not apply to all Jeep models and years. These may be unique to this year and model only. The installation was tested and worked perfectly.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing