Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Ralph

I tow my liberty for 5 months last summer. Key in the ignition (to the first click. No dash power lights on, but steering wheel unlocked. I have an RVI Brake system. I've driven 6 hours. Spend s night at a truck stop and drive another 4 hours. And my car starts right up. Why are you lights on at night. Aren't they powered through the coach?
I'm not understanding what is draining the battery in these cars. Any ideas
I'm not sure if it is based on the model, mine is the Sahara with all the electronics they offer, but I checked the amp draw with the key in the first position and it was very heavy. I can't remember the actual value. I went to two different Jeep dealers and had it checked out and they concluded that the heavy draw was normal for my model. Since I no longer have the key in the ignition and now have Toad-Charge I no longer have any problem with toad so I'm a happy camper.
I think you're right, the lights are powered by the coach other than the brake lights. It's questionable if I need the Toad-Charge in the current configuration but it was installed before I learned that there is no steering wheel lock. With that said, I still think it's worth the money for the piece of mind.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You had to have the key in the ignition on our '07. For whatever reason that, coupled with the braking system we used that drew power from the Jeep battery, would run the battery completely down in one 8 hour day on the road. I ended up re-routing the power from the motor home to one of the 12v power ports in the Jeep dash and installing a battery cut off switch.

The '12 does not require a key in the ignition and we now use the Air Force One brake system. There is no power being drawn from the Jeep battery, at least no more than there would be with it parked in the garage. You could go for days without unhooking it from the motor home and without concern that you'd have a dead battery when you did finally unhook it.

Unless you're using a brake system that taps it's power from the Jeep you'll not need a charge line.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Beginning in 2008 Jeep removed the locking mechanism on Wranglers. It's easy to tell if yours fell within the change. Pull the key and see if you can turn the wheel. It's easier if you do this on gravel.

As for the battery draw, it is most likely caused by certain braking systems. I use the Blue Ox Patriot, which is electric only. Many of the older "brake in a box" systems were electric with compressors. The air is used for braking or just leaks over time, which causes quite a bit of electrical draw recharging the system. On my 2012 Wrangler I pull the key, plug into the constant on 12 volt receptacle in the glove box. I turn my Patriot Brake controller to a very low sensitivity, since I really only need it for a break into situation. I drive all day and have never had a hint of low battery.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If you click on the link you'll be able to select your 2012 from a drop down list. The answers to your questions are the ignition does NOT need to be in the ACC position, and the battery does NOT need to be disconnected. No change from what I do with my 2011.
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Great, I can pull out the key. However, they put the power point through the ignition switch. A re-wire of power point around ignition may be a job because hard to get to it. Need power for braking system.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I installed the Toad Charger on my Jeep so the battery wont run down while towing using the Patriot breaking system from Blue Ox. Also use the Currie Enterprise tow plate.
I am planning on getting the Patriot system. What year wrangler do you have? How do handle power to power point through ignition switch?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Great, I can pull out the key. However, they put the power point through the ignition switch. A re-wire of power point around ignition may be a job because hard to get to it. Need power for braking system.
Look in your center console. You should have an "always hot" receptacle there.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Look in your center console. You should have an "always hot" receptacle there.
Nope, only if the key is on.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If that's the case on yours then I would suggest taking it in to your dealer, as it should be hot. It is on my 2011, and the following is from the 2012 Owner's Manual under Electrical Power Outlet

The front power outlet is powered from the ignition switch. Power is available when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position.

A second power outlet is located inside the center console and is powered directly from the vehicle battery.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #37

Quote:
I power my Brake Buddy in my 2012 from the hot plug in the console, you know, in the lift-up arm rest thingy.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Both my '07 and my '12 have had an always hot 12v recepticle. In the '07 it was one of the two on the dash, on the '12 I think it's the one in the center console.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Both my '07 and my '12 have had an always hot 12v recepticle. In the '07 it was one of the two on the dash, on the '12 I think it's the one in the center console.
Just looked again no power point in the console. My 12 is a manual tranny. Was lucky to get a used 12 with only 5700 miles. Looks like they have an option for a second power point in the dash but just a blank plug. I am going to take it to the dealer and see what they can do.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Just looked again no power point in the console. My 12 is a manual tranny. Was lucky to get a used 12 with only 5700 miles. Looks like they have an option for a second power point in the dash but just a blank plug. I am going to take it to the dealer and see what they can do.
Mine is also a manual trans.

Open the console, it has two latches. One opens just the top and reveals a shallow tray, the other will open a deep container - the recepticle is in the front, down inside.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

Mine is also a manual trans.

Open the console, it has two latches. One opens just the top and reveals a shallow tray, the other will open a deep container - the recepticle is in the front, down inside.
Thanks guys. I had no idea there were 2 compartments in the console. There is a power point there that is hot all the time. Only had this jeep a couple of days. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #42

I have found these to be very helpful:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/

http://www.jeepforum.com/

I mean, jeepers, you are a Jeeper now!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote