Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

2012 Jeep Wrangler toad taillight trouble

I had my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited wired for towing. They used diodes to tie into the tail light wires. They ran the ground wire to the frame. When the tail lights and a turn signal are on, the tail light on the opposite side also blinks. The brake element is not turning on, the tail light is dimming. I double checked all ground connections. It appears the common wire at the tail light assembly is not really chassis ground. If I ground that wire to the chassis the lights work properly. I am nervous about doing so if the factory wiring does not expect it. I have talked to several installers who say they have not seen this problem. Is this particular to my Jeep or common? The Mopar wiring kit says it is compatable with the body computer. I don't need to start over if it is not necessary. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

mikeontheroa,

Well Sir, one of the very first things I'd check is, make a call or, cruise on down to your local Jeep/Chrysler dealer and talk with a tech on this situation. You see, I've wired many jeeps, Hondas, and our present toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 truck. And, I've done it all the same way, by making the stock tail lights the toad lights when towing.

But, I have been lead to believe that the 2012 Model Jeeps have had a wiring change to a much more complicated but, more universal to the industry, style of wiring. I'm thinking it's called the "CAN BUSS" system. Wiring a vehicle for toad lights, with that system in a traditional way, can cause some problems and, some serious.

So, while I have no real confirmation on whether your Jeep has that new style wiring or not, a quick call, or trip to your local Jeep/Chrysler dealership may answer all your questions. Sometimes, the local shops that do toad wiring are not aware of some of the changes that have taken place on some of the new vehicles and wire things up like they always have and, ZAP, they run into problems. So, it might be worth your effort to enquire before you try some of your remedies to correct your situation. I'd hate to see you "Fry" that electricl system or, controlling computers just to make a light work. Good luck and please to post what you find out will you, so that others will learn.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Jeep sells a Mopar kit for current Wranglers that works with the Canbus system. You can't just tap into the wiring now as it affects the vehicles computers.

I just had a seperate bulb and wiring installed into the taillight assembly and left the stock wiring well enough alone.

Norm
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're on our second Jeep Wrangler toad. On each we used the separate harness and sockets to set up the lights and left the factory wiring alone - for just this reason. It too often goes wrong. Shops that tell you "we've done a thousand of these" tend to miss any changes made by the manufacturer, until after they've screwed up a few.

At the very least it sounds like you'll have to undo what has been done. I have no experience, of course, with the MOPAR kit Norm talks about, but it sounds like it may be an option for you. Installing separate sockets would be slightly more work than a "plug n play" system, but not much.

Let us know how it all turns out.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help!! I finally achieved success. It seemed that every time I checked continuity from the motorhome ground to the Jeep ground I found 6 ohms resistance. I had excellent electrical connections at both vehicles to the frames. I talked with the manager for installations at Roadmaster, he insisted that they have installed hundreds of Jeeps without problems. No other helpfull advise. My head was scratched until it was sore. I was convinced that the control system in the Jeep was responsible for the tail light common not being grounded. By some quirk I checked resistance from the frame to the body. Eureka!!! The magic 6 ohms. I moved the ground wire from the frame of the Jeep to the body, and all works fine. Not sure why the frame and body are not bonded. Seems like there should be a jumper at least from the engine to the frame. I'll check on that later, crawl around under and talk to Mopar. What a relief! Hope this helps someone else, saves them from 4 hours of frustration. Happy trails to all, I hit the road tomorrow.
Mike
Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting. Thanks for the update.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

You can tap into the 2012 and up Wranglers tail light wiring harness anywhere you want and you don't need diodes. The Canbus isolates the electronics from the tail/turn/running lights.

I went ahead and installed the Cooltech harness and all it does is plug into the factory connections at the tail lights. It doesn't use diodes. There was another guy on here that taped into the wires running along the passenger side. That's where I was going to do it but decided just to use the Cooltech harness.

On my 06 TJ I taped into the harness right below the drivers door and on that one I did have to use diodes but never had a problem.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #8

Dont know if this will work for your newer Jeeps, but my 84, CJ-7, I just bundge the left turn signal lever down and it eliminated the feedback issues with the turn signals.

They work normaly with my motorhome.

Try it.

Let me know if it works for you.

larry
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
Jeep sells a Mopar kit for current Wranglers that works with the Canbus system. You can't just tap into the wiring now as it affects the vehicles computers.

I just had a seperate bulb and wiring installed into the taillight assembly and left the stock wiring well enough alone.

Norm
X2 on the bulb and socket kit! That's piece of mind for me.

Tags
toad