Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

2012 or 2013 CR-V vs. Terrain vs. Equinox

I need to get a new car before I get a motor home. So, I will be driving it exclusively for a little while. Then, I plan to get a Class A. (I may have to wait until after I sell my house.) After I get the motor home, I want to use the car I buy as a Toad and for everything else for which the motor home is too big. I have narrowed my choices down to a 2012 or 2013 CR-V EX-L, a four cylinder Equinox 2LT, with safety package, or LTZ, or a four cylinder Terrain SLE-2, with safety package, or SLT-2. However, I am having trouble making up my mind between them. (I'm not sure if there is any difference that I care about between the Equinox and the Terrain.) I am also trying to decide if AWD is worth it on either vehicle. So, I would appreciate any input about how each model performs as both a Toad and regular driving vehicle.

Right now, I live in Central Illinois. However, my travels could end up taking me anywhere. So, I want something that: does fairly well in all weather conditions; will do okay off pavement, but not necessarily serious off-roading; has enough power for highway driving whether on flat land or going up a mountain in the Sierras or Rockies; is fairly comfortable to drive for someone with a bad back; gets good gas mileage; is reliable; and tows easily.

Thank you for any input.

Sincerely,
Kent Anderson
Kent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

We tow a 2012 Equinox. Tows well, easy to set up and we really like the car. We have the 4 cyl, get above 30 MPG, have only been to the Smokie Mts, plenty of power. My wife drives it daily and she loves it. We set up to tow using Roadmaster tow bar and base plate. I went with Roadmaster due to heavier construction (My opinion).
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Before you buy anything, look at what type of motorhome you are planning on buying. Gas engined and smaller diesel motorhomes are going to have a towing weight limit. Usually this 5000 lbs or lower and you will want to match your car to that limit. All the cars mentioned so far meet those limits.

My personel preference would be for the CRV as it is lighter and gets better fuel mileage.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A few months ago we had the same question. I don't know why, but I started to look for other possibilities and took a closer look at a Subaru Outback. And I now own a 2013 Subaru Outback with manual 6 speed transmission. It is cheaper than the GM vehicles, more comfortable, a little lighter in weight (easier to tow), ahs a better AWD and is more comfortable.

Don't overlook a Subaru during your selection process!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies above. I like the Outback, but the automatic is not flat towable and I need an automatic.

Sincerely,
Kent Anderson
Kent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I love my 2012 CRV. Tows like a dream. I had to get rid of my 2006 Corolla - manual - due to foot drop from a spinal fracture. I needed an automatic and it is great.
Much better than my 1965 Honda.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I really enjoy my 2013 CRV. Very comfortable and more features than I expected for the price range. My other car is a Lexus but now I drive the CRV most.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The CRV is a better vehicle, hands down.
Get AWD if you're going to drive it it snow, otherwise 2WD is fine.

The Honda is one of the very few you can tow with an auto trans.

I was going to get one and discovered the new Subaru Crosstrek, so that's what I got. But I was happy with the 5spd manual. I don't drive in stop and go traffic and the stick is more fun. If I had been stuck on a AT then the honda for sure.

The difference between the equinox and terrain is the looks. To me the latter is far nicer looking than the former. In the end I wouldn't choose either one. Been there, took the Mercedes GLK350 instead. That was before we decided on a toad.

Honda and never look back.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #9

The CRV is grossly underpowered and the interior design and quality of materials is from the 1990's. Even DW said no way. Not saying they are not reliable. But after reading all the "worlds greatest dinghy" reports on here and other forums, we were expecting a lot more from it. A whole lot more.

The Equinox looks and feels like a new vehicle should and has a lot more bells and whistles for the same $.

Take a long test drive in both.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year we had a similar "final" selection. The Honda was, however out of the picture right at the beginning, for the reasons az99 listet.

For us it was the Chevy, the GMC and the Subaru Outback. The Outback won because of its refined technology, its advanced AWD system, its roomier and more open cabin, its way better reliability, and its better price. Now, about a year later and after a real bad and snowy winter, we are glad that we selected the Outback!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would like an Outback but can't do the manual tranny. Sad.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #12

Bought a CRV 4WD 2013.
Easy to use, easy to drive, enough HP and really amazing on mileage
For me it was the first choice and no wonder why most of MH are using one.
Next choice would have been a jeep
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are 3 versions of the CR-V. I did not need Satellite radio or GPS or leather seats so opted for the mid-range model. With all the bells and whistles in even the mid range including backup camera, Bluetooth, multiple inputs to the audio system, multi-function information screen, etc I can't imagine what more I would need. The only thing in my Lexus that I would like in the CR-V is power seats and I could have had that in the top end version.

One of the most important aspects of a vehicle to me is driver seat comfort. I have not found any GM seat comfortable. Before the Lexus, which is fine, I had a 2001 Chrysler minivan which was excellent but my wife's 2006 minivan was not so good.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

Yes the lack of power seats in the 2013 CRV was unbelievable. That was part of my 1990's interior comment. Plus to me the seats were not very comfortable due to their non supportive antique style.
As far as good fuel mileage, I would hope so, as the power is just slightly above that of a snowmobile.
But they sure do have a loyal following.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote