Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

2012 Wrangler

Anyone towing a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited? Got one comeing in 2 weeks. I see Roadmaster says disconnect the battery? Did you use the jeep wireing and diaods for tow lights or 3rd bulbs in the taillights and seprate wireing harness? Also as I understand it the steering no longer locks when the key is removed so i don't understand the "disconnect the battery" deal. I will be useing an M&G air brake set up for brakes.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

There is no longer a need to keep the ignition on in the 2009 and up Wranglers. The need to keep the Steering Unlocked was the reason for it. The statement in the New Owner Manual is incorrect.
We have also purchased a 2012 JKU and will be using it as a Toad. We went with the Currie Tow Bar mounting plate # CE-9033 JK, and a Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar.
Robert

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
Anyone towing a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited? Got one comeing in 2 weeks. I see Roadmaster says disconnect the battery? Did you use the jeep wireing and diaods for tow lights or 3rd bulbs in the taillights and seprate wireing harness? Also as I understand it the steering no longer locks when the key is removed so i don't understand the "disconnect the battery" deal. I will be useing an M&G air brake set up for brakes.
I have an 09 Rubicon Unlimited and I use the Blue Ox base plate and Aventa tow bar, (also Blue Ox). As long as you do not have steering lock you can tow it with no key in the ignition and do not have to pull any fuses. I use the Cool Tech wiring harness easy install. Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit

Congrats on the new Jeep
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

I just got done installing the blue ox base plate on our new 2012 wrangler. it took about 2 1/2hrs the hardest thing was removing the left side inner nuts that hold the bumper on no big deal.
wednesday i'm tackling adding the extra bulb to the taillight assembly as i don't want to take any chance voiding my warranty by using diodes. just my $.02
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I just got done installing the blue ox base plate on our new 2012 wrangler. it took about 2 1/2hrs the hardest thing was removing the left side inner nuts that hold the bumper on no big deal.
wednesday i'm tackling adding the extra bulb to the taillight assembly as i don't want to take any chance voiding my warranty by using diodes. just my $.02
I think I'm going with extra bulbs for the same reason, and road master brackets. I still don't know what the deal is with disconnecting the negitave battery cable (key off, no lighting connection to the vehicle) Kind of sounds like a Chrysler CYA requirement.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Kind of sounds like a Chrysler CYA requirement.
I agree. Any newer vehicle with all of their computer components will eventually run the battery down if left sitting long enough. We were gone for a month and I forgot to disconnect the battery on my 06 Toyota Sequoia parked in the garage. Battery was dead when we got back. Charged it up, and it's been fine.

I put a separate bulb kit in my Wrangler, and tow it with the ignition off and the key in my pocket.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Cool tech per post #3 above best way to go...very simple install ,plugs into factory wire harness, no drilling no diodes about hour labor install, and all your marker lights will work.. Around $100...
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2011 Unlimited that I just had set up for towing. I used the diodes and had an automatic battery disconnect installed that will just provide a trickle of electric to the computer and electronics. If you totally disconnect the battery you will loose your radio presets and any other electronic memory.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Just got it Friday, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. It will go in for base plate and to be wired up (I'm WAY too old to do it myself and also electrically challenged) and I'll be ready to go. I've requested an email from Jeep regarding the proper way to tow it (CYA in my case) although I 100% trust the folks here and on the Jeep Wrangler Forum when they tell you how to do it. the only conflicting info I've received so far is the bit about removing the neg cable to the battery or not. Everything else sounds incredibly easy.

Have fun and hope to see you on the road. Just look for a R E D 4 dr hard top and it could be mine!
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2012 Rubicons Unlimited. I set it up with the M&G system, TowDaddy lighting interface, etc. You do not need to pull any fuses nor do you need the key in the ignition because the steering does not lock when the key is removed. All you have to do is slip the transfer case lever into neutral, hook it up, and you're good to go.

This time I skipped getting a baseplate for my Blue Ox towbar. I was always wary of getting it bent on my previous Jeep when going off-road due to it's lower proximity. This time I install Rockhard 4x4 bumpers. Rockhard makes towbar adaptor brackets that attach directly to the bumper for either Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow bars. That made for a nice, clean installation. I attached the safety cables to the 3/4" D-ring shackles on the front bumper and mounted the M&G air connection and 6 prong lighting socket into the bumper.

The TowDaddy lighting was plug and play, although I needed to lengthen the wires a bit in order to reach the right tail light. The entire installation worked out really well and will be featured in an upcoming article in RV Magazine.

You're going to like your 2012 Wrangler. The new powertrain is a huge step forward and a real joy to drive.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

update on wiring lights. I couldn't bring my self to drill 1" holes in my new jeep so I came up with what i think is the best solution. A friend and I designed and built a bracket that goes into the receiver hitch and are mounting trailer lights to it. We ran wires from the front to back no connection to the jeep systems. I'll post a couple of pictures as soon as I can. I'm very happy withthe out come
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a 2012 jeep wrangler and have a blue ox set up for towing 4 down, for lights have a whole seperat system ran for them with there own bulbs in the tail lights, i amd using a break system that runs off of the jeeps batteries so i ran the toad charg system to keep betterie full and charged, as of the key leave it turned off and no need for the batterie disconnection. the dealer did tell me hooking into the light system with dioads will void the factorie warrenty so thats why i went with the extra bulbs in the tail light
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
also forgot to mention stearing does not lock so no need for key in the jeep and when towing as per mine have it in high gear ( i have a 6 speed manual ) and transfer case in nutral
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 Unlimited. Cooltech harness, Roadmaster base plate and ReadyBrute Tow bar and Aux Brake. Did all the work my self and spent only $1400.00 on all the parts.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote