Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Thanks for that update, have had this '12 COD/Rubicon (auto) for about 2 months and just returned from 3k trip doing as the CD/Manual stated, which is exactly the same as my previous '08 Rubicon (auto). I had towed/toad the '08 on a few short hauls w/o disconnecting battery as an experiment and never had the mileage change or other issues. Now I won't have to reset the radio screens.
There's a slight parasitic draw on the battery, but I think you would have to leave the Jeep undriven for weeks before the battery would run down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
I will mention that a friend of a friend that had a Jeep, missed "N" and went to "4L" by mistake and did not test for neutral as the manual states.
After approx. 5mi. looked back to a cloud of smoke...engine and complete drivetrain was toast. True story, I usually test for "N" a couple of times.
Thanks again.
Ouch, expensive lesson

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK, my bad.

Appartently I grossly underestimated the miles we could have put on the Jeep while "exploring". Since my initial post we've moved again, about 200 miles. I was careful to note the miles on the Jeep when I hooked up and again when I unhooked here. Read the same.

For the record, this is the 5th Jeep we've owned, and the 4th that we've towed. With the change to a non-locking steering column, and the changes I've made in toad equipment (type of auxilary brakes and the method of hooking up the tow lights) it is undoubtedly the easiest and quickest of all to prepare for the road.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '12 JKU continues to accumulate miles when towed despite my following the correct procedure when hooking it up. If there is a secret to how I can make it behave like a Saturn while towing, I'd like to know what it is.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
My '12 JKU continues to accumulate miles when towed despite my following the correct procedure when hooking it up. If there is a secret to how I can make it behave like a Saturn while towing, I'd like to know what it is.
It definitely should not accumulate miles while towing. Have you performed the same test that Jay did?

When you're done with your hook up procedure, is the transfer case in Neutral, AT in Park (if manual trans, then in gear), ignition Off and the key in your pocket? (Battery connected or disconnected doesn't make any difference)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #19

If the speedo sensor is in the T-case, it is a stupid change Chrysler has done in the last year or so.

I have owned, used, abused, built and repaired too many YJ, TJ,
JK, and XJ Jeeps. I am not just grabbing these ideas out of the air.[/QUOTE] The speedometer drive has always been on the transfer case output shaft.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It definitely should not accumulate miles while towing. Have you performed the same test that Jay did?

When you're done with your hook up procedure, is the transfer case in Neutral, AT in Park (if manual trans, then in gear), ignition Off and the key in your pocket? (Battery connected or disconnected doesn't make any difference)
The answer to all the above is yes.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The answer to all the above is yes.
Then something is really wrong. These are very popular toads and I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing this problem (Jay doesn't count). If it were me I would have a Jeep mechanic take a look at it. It could possibly be doing some internal damage.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You actually recorded the mileage before an after the tow?
Auto: In Park, TC in Neutral, Key off, done.
Stick: In 6th gear, TC in neutral, key off.
Only 07's and early 08's needed to have the key in ACC position but you just had to lift the IOD fuse under the hood to stop battery drain.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Golden I just couldn't resist this one. If you want your Jeep to act like a Saturn, buy a Saturn. A Jeep will never act like a Saturn!!!! Its a Jeep thing, Saturn owners may not understand!!!
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Here are the instructions from the 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Manual - You can download your manual from Jeep.com.

NOTE: The transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL (N), automatic transmission must be shifted into PARK, and manual transmission must be placed in gear (NOT in NEUTRAL) for recreational towing.

CAUTION! • Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.
• Tow only in the forward direction. Towing this vehicle backwards can cause severe damage to the transfer case.
• Automatic transmissions must be placed in the PARK position for recreational towing.
CAUTION! (Continued)
• Manual transmissions must be placed in gear (not in Neutral) for recreational towing.
• Before recreational towing, perform the procedure outlined under “Shifting Into NEUTRAL (N)” to be certain that the transfer case is fully in NEUTRAL (N). Otherwise, internal damage will result.
• Towing this vehicle in violation of the above requirements can cause severe transmission and/or transfer case damage. Damage from improper towing is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
• Do not use a bumper-mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged.

Shifting Into NEUTRAL (N) Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for recreational towing.

WARNING! You or others could be injured if you leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the NEUTRAL (N) position without first fully engaging the parking brake. The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move, even if the transmission is in PARK. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle.
CAUTION! It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in NEUTRAL (N) before recreational towing to prevent damage to internal parts.

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. Press and hold the brake pedal.
4. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
5. Shift the transfer case lever into NEUTRAL (N).
6. Start the engine.
7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal (and clutch pedal on manual transmissions) for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 with automatic transmission in DRIVE or manual transmission in first gear.
10. Turn OFF the engine.
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK or place manual transmission in gear (NOT in Neutral).

CAUTION! Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running. With the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the engine is OFF before shifting the transmission into PARK.
13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #25

The Speed sensor is at the tail shaft of the TCase. It should be relatively simple to disconnect it while towing if all else fails.
There should be directions in the owners manual or DVD.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK or place manual transmission in gear (NOT in Neutral).
13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.
These instructions have always driven me nuts. What they're saying is to put the Jeep in free-wheeling tow mode held only by the parking brake, and then attach the tow bar. Suppose you're on a hill? You're totally relying on your parking brake to hold your Jeep in place.

I always attach the tow bar first, then perform the towing procedures sans the application of the parking brake.