Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

2012 wrangler unlimited

just got a new 2012 wrangler unlimited to replace my old 1995 wrangler. Jeep documents have no comment on towing behind a mh with the key in the lock position , which i understand is ok as there is no steering wheel lock. Also had a battery disconnect installed and really wonder if I need it . Any help would be most appreciated, Heading out to Durango Colorado in a few days.
Thanks to all for your responses.
dlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlizard
just got a new 2012 wrangler unlimited to replace my old 1995 wrangler. Jeep documents have no comment on towing behind a mh with the key in the lock position , which i understand is ok as there is no steering wheel lock. Also had a battery disconnect installed and really wonder if I need it . Any help would be most appreciated, Heading out to Durango Colorado in a few days.
Thanks to all for your responses.
Place transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, remove your key and store it in your pocket. No need for a battery disconnect.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Documentation for towing should be on the DVD supplied with your owners manual. You should not need a battery disconnect. My Liberty doesn't have a steering wheel lock and I suspect your Wrangler doesn't either. If you are going to use a supplemental braking system that is dependent on a 12 vdc source you may want to supply one from the RV or check the owners manual for your Jeep to see if there is a fuse for the accessory outlet that can be relocated to make that outlet always hot without the need for the key to be on.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
Place transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, remove your key and store it in your pocket. No need for a battery disconnect.
what he says
if you us a brakebuddy the out let in the consul is always on
brianj
Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
This is correct, I also tow a 2012 Wrangler and just put t-case in neutral, trans in park and remove the key and lock the doors.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What they said. No battery disconnect is necessary. Have fun!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Instructions on the DVD that comes with the 2012 Wrangler.
Transfer case in NEUTRAL, Transmission in PARK, Key on ACC., Disconnect Negative Battery terminal.
Do what you want, I'll stick with factory recomemdations.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Instructions on the DVD that comes with the 2012 Wrangler.
Transfer case in NEUTRAL, Transmission in PARK, Key on ACC., Disconnect Negative Battery terminal.
Do what you want, I'll stick with factory recomemdations.
The manual for my 07 Wrangler states that the automatic transmission models DON'T have a steering lock. The manual is wrong.

If you follow threads on the Wrangler, you will see that the manuals are wrong for several different years. Also, in one place they tell you to disconnect the ground and in another place they tell you to pull the IOD fuse. Interesting, because the IOD fuse has an integrated puller just for that purpose.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Everyone here has assumed you have an automatic trans. You didnt' say.

We bought a 2012 Wrangler a month ago to replace the one that was totalled by some dizzy chic who's business apparently was much more important than the rest of ours.

Unlike our '07, no key in the ignition, no cut off switch. We have a manual trans. Transfer case in neutral, trans in gear (I usually have it in third or fifth), you're good to go.

The dealer we had install our base plate, Air Force One brake system and tail lamps went ahead and installed a charging line too, but I'm not sure we needed it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote