Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

2013 C-Max Hybrid

I towed by C-Max in neutral, smart key ignition off, so it wouldn't register mileage. First stop about 160 miles, started car in park, kept foot on gas pedal so motor would run, to charge battery. Also, ran through gears as ford reccomends. Traveled another 170 miles, stopped to top off fuel and car would not start and had some message on screen about battery lock out. Had to get a jump to start car as I put it in park to start it and could not get it out of park without engine started. Jump did the trick, I then towed 200 miles to home and battery was fine and I'm wondering what caused the battery problem in the one stop.

Also, found the car will start in neutral, so, if this happens to you and you don't have a convenient jump start available, then leave car in neutral and you can continue to tow. I couldn't move from pumps until I got it started so I could put in neutral. No one seemed to have jumper cables at the flying J and mine were at home, so I called ford and they responded in less than 30 mins and there was no charge.

Bill
bill37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

Our c-max battery will last about three hours before it dies. I figure it is our patriot brake which we keep plugged in while we are towing. We have a little charger unit that we keep in the RV and it only takes a second to jump it. The brake tells us when the battery gets low so we can pull over.

I think there is a small battery charger that can go in a cigarette lighter that will start it but I haven't bought one yet. It's small enough to put in the glove box. The one we have is bigger but would also start the RV if we needed it. You plug it in to keep it charged.
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #3

You absolutely must use a charge line with a C Max. No matter what you do, the battery will die after 2 or 3 hours. This will get shorter each time you run it down until the battery is ruined. The problem is most likely the vacuum pump for the brakes which runs every time you actuate the brakes.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jmckinley--- can you wire the charge line to the umbilical from RV to car or does the charge line become a seperate line to connect each time you load the toad up?
I am trying to prepare our Cmax to tow this year and have ordered a baseplate and light lit from E-trailer and a charge line from Lsl but was unsure about how to run the charge line for the battery.
I also ordered a new umbilical line with a 7 blade to 6 blade to use with the new baseplate I was just anticipating that I may be able to wire the charge line thru the rear RV 7 blade plug.
Also do you carry biles and have any type of trailer hitch on your Cmax?
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism
Jmckinley--- can you wire the charge line to the umbilical from RV to car or does the charge line become a seperate line to connect each time you load the toad up?
I am trying to prepare our Cmax to tow this year and have ordered a baseplate and light lit from E-trailer and a charge line from Lsl but was unsure about how to run the charge line for the battery.
I also ordered a new umbilical line with a 7 blade to 6 blade to use with the new baseplate I was just anticipating that I may be able to wire the charge line thru the rear RV 7 blade plug.
Also do you carry biles and have any type of trailer hitch on your Cmax?
I think the 7 wire hookup has a 12v wire and of course a ground. Check your CMax Owner's Manual for where to hook up jumper cables under the hood. That's where you will hardwire your charge line.

I carry our bike in the motorhome. $5,000 racing tandem stays where it's warm, dry and safe. There are, however, hitches for the CMax. Some guys on the CMax forum say they have installed them for bike carrying.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Here's a link to the best CMax Forum I've found. It's full of active members who are on top of everything. So far I've found out about Tech Service Bulletins and updates way before my dealer does.
Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the lsl toad charger. Bought that, ran the electrical through the 7 pin and comes with a circuit breaker. Ground to the jumper ground under the hood and you can open the side of the battery box where the positive is for the positive hook up. Works fine.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote