Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

2013 Chevy Equinox

2013 Chevy Equinox dinghy towing remove fuse 32, the discrete logic ignition switch fuse to prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed. My question is if the vehicle battery is being charged from the motor home does the fuse has to be pulled.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
2013 Chevy Equinox dinghy towing remove fuse 32, the discrete logic ignition switch fuse to prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed. My question is if the vehicle battery is being charged from the motor home does the fuse has to be pulled.
You will want to pull it anyway. If you don't, your equinox will register all the miles you tow it on the odometer. You can get a kit from Towdaddy that automatically disconnects the fuse when you plug the car into the RV. You can also get a kit from Blue Ox that lets you place a switch on the dash.

tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
You will want to pull it anyway. If you don't, your equinox will register all the miles you tow it on the odometer. You can get a kit from Towdaddy that automatically disconnects the fuse when you plug the car into the RV. You can also get a kit from Blue Ox that lets you place a switch on the dash.
Bobby are you sure about the milage registering, i towed a 2010 Equinox for a year and didnt always pull the fuse and i didnt notice the extra milage on the odometer. I later installed a charge line and forgot about the fuse.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Bobby are you sure about the milage registering, i towed a 2010 Equinox for a year and didnt always pull the fuse and i didnt notice the extra milage on the odometer. I later installed a charge line and forgot about the fuse.
I did a lot of research on the Equinox before buying one and there were many, many people complaining that mileage was registering. Some were pulling the wrong fuse, some were putting the key in the IGN position. Both are said to allow miles to accumulate. I also cannot speak to the possibility that GM changed the car between 2010 and now...it is possible.

In all the cases I read, pulling the fuse AND ensuring that the key is in ACC position (not IGN) stopped it from accruing.

I have not actually tested this on mine (by towing with the fuse in), but I do know that loads that will kill your battery on extended trips are present if you don't pull the fuse. GM says to do it so I'm installing a kit that does exactly what the manufacturer recommends automatically so pulling the fuse isn't necessary.

A big reason I bought the Equinox is because GM approves of flat towing when you meet the conditions they specify...this preserves my extended warranty and gives me peace of mind.

You've piqued my curiosity, so I'll do a test next time I am able and report back.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
paz

If you have a charge line from the motorhome you do not need to pull the fuse to keep the Equinox battery charged.

However, I'm not sure about miles accumulating on the odometer if the fuse is not pulled. It would be an easy thing to test. Just record the mileage, tow a short distance with the fuse still in place and check the mileage again.

I do know mileage will record if the ignition switch is ON position instead of ACC regardless of whether the fuse is pulled or not. This is to prevent people from cheating to keep their odo reading artificially low when driving normally. Key positions are not marked so it's hard to tell what position the key is in. I put a dot of silver paint next to the key to mark the ACC position.

To make my fuse easy to pull, I wrapped a small zip tie around it. That way, I don't have to hunt for the proper fuse. When I pop the cover off, the tail of the zip tie sticks out. I just grab the tail and pull. Putting it back is easy. It's the only empty slot on the lower row.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Equinox Fuse.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	56501
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bobby!
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If you have a charge line from the motorhome you do not need to pull the fuse to keep the Equinox battery charged.

However, I'm not sure about miles accumulating on the odometer if the fuse is not pulled. It would be an easy thing to test. Just record the mileage, tow a short distance with the fuse still in place and check the mileage again.

I do know mileage will record if the ignition switch is ON position instead of ACC regardless of whether the fuse is pulled or not. This is to prevent people from cheating to keep their odo reading artificially low when driving normally. Key positions are not marked so it's hard to tell what position the key is in. I put a dot of silver paint next to the key to mark the ACC position.

To make my fuse easy to pull, I wrapped a small zip tie around it. That way, I don't have to hunt for the proper fuse. When I pop the cover off, the tail of the zip tie sticks out. I just grab the tail and pull. Putting it back is easy. It's the only empty slot on the lower row.

Attachment 56501
I'm installing a kit (Towdaddy AutoFuse #703) which will automatically disconnect the fuse when the toad is connected to the RV. You can find it here: Tow Daddy - The Best Designed RV Products on the Planet
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I pulled our 2013 Equinox about 3500 miles last summer. I made the mistake of turning the key to the ACC position and put miles and ran the battery down.
To keep from registering miles. Pull the number 32 fuse with the ignition OFF. Turn the key only enough to unlock the steering wheel. The key will have to remain in the ignition. Be sure to start the car at every fuel stop. I shifted through the gears at each stop. Don't pull over 65 MPH. I did go over a few times but only for short durations. You don't have to install the fuse when stopping for fuel or at other stops when running the car. I did reinstall the fuse when we were driving the car in areas we visited. One other note the 12V source at the rear of the car is "hot" all the time. I have a Brake Buddy and used that for the 12V connection. I didn't have any more problems with the battery running down.

Hope this helps, Safe travels,

Jim
Cart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #9

On my 2013 Equinox the cig lighter in the rear of console or backseat acc stays hot only for about 10 mins like the radio does. then goes off is there away to make this rear port hot all the time? right now I can't use the blue ox system because all cig lighter ports and even usb port goes off after 10 min.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #10

I tow a 2012 Equinox, and rather than pull the fuse all the time, I did this... first, get a mini fuse, amperage doesn't matter. Next, short the fuse across a battery to blow it. Now, take a dremel tool to remove the plastic covering one side of the blades of the fuse. Now, solder a wire to each blade. Install a fuse holder (radio shack) on one of the wires, doesn't matter which one... Now install a toggle switch to the two remaining ends of the wires. Drill a hole in the fuse panel cover, install the switch, plug in the blown fuse, install a good fuse in the purchased holder, and you're good to go. Total cost, under 10 bucks. Or, Roadmaster will sell you the same functioning thing for around 80.
Happy roading...
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #11

Coyote24,
If yours is like mine, you should have a 12V plug in the rear compartment. It is hot all the time... Get a 12V extension cord from radio shack, and you'll be good. Worked for me.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #12

2013 equinox

Thanks richardk. I found the socket all the way in the rear at the rear door. It is hot all the time on mine to. I did purchase a Bell 10ft extension cord with socket at autozone for 8.99. I had done the fuse switch a while back like you mentioned, same setup. Everything is working good now. Thanks for the tips on that socket. Been back there a 100 times and never saw that port.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardk View Post
I tow a 2012 Equinox, and rather than pull the fuse all the time, I did this... first, get a mini fuse, amperage doesn't matter. Next, short the fuse across a battery to blow it. Now, take a dremel tool to remove the plastic covering one side of the blades of the fuse. Now, solder a wire to each blade. Install a fuse holder (radio shack) on one of the wires, doesn't matter which one... Now install a toggle switch to the two remaining ends of the wires. Drill a hole in the fuse panel cover, install the switch, plug in the blown fuse, install a good fuse in the purchased holder, and you're good to go. Total cost, under 10 bucks. Or, Roadmaster will sell you the same functioning thing for around 80.
Happy roading...
I bought the TowDaddy AUTOFUSE kit. It gets a 12VDC signal when the car is plugged into the RV and opens the fuse automatically. That and the M&G braking kit means we just hook up and disconnect. Nothing else to do. The autofuse kit is the same price as the roadmaster kit and is worth every penny.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #14

Looked at the autofuse online, looks interesting. I'm sure it's just a 12V relay installed instead of a switch. If you're familiar with elect. relays, you could make one for about twelve bucks...