Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #15

Ok so using the the document James provided the link to, which was way better than Blue Ox's doc, still a fail however. The upper clips shown in the doc are nowhere to be found on mine. At this point i'm just going to have it installed as i'm not willing to damage a new vehicle trying to figure it out.

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #16

I used to work in a collision shop. Lots of times people would come in just to have us remove trim, panels, grills etc so they could access other components. Most things these days are held together with plastic clips and some require special tools or special "tricks" that make it easy. Check with your local collision repair shop, lots of times we didn't charge anything for 10 minutes of work with a specialty tool that cost more than an hour of labor.

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #17

I had my install done by the Honda Dealer. Being a new car, I didn't want any hassle with respect to warranty. Bumper to Bumper so to speak.
When it was all said and done, they did a good job and I am a Happy Camper.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did the Blue Ox baseplate install on my 2012 CRV. Installing the base plate was pretty easy but getting the face of the CRV off and back on was a real PITA. Those four yellow clips that are referenced in the Blue Ox instructions were nearly impossible to get to for R & R. I broke a few clips, invented some new four letter words, etc.

I ended up taking the car to a friend who owns a collision repair shop who worked on the front fascia for about 30 minutes getting it back on properly. As already noted, he had tools, tricks and experience I did not have.

That was my last install. If I ever need to do another, I will let him do it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #19

My problem wasn't the four clips along the bottom of the grill, it's what's holding it at both top corners. The Honda doc shows clips there and how to get them to release. I can't even find them!
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #20

Carolina Campers
Well, turns out that Camping World is having a special at this time to perform installs for only $29.

I decided to have them install the Hidden Hitch, the Demco Baseplate, the new Stay-In-Play brake assist system, and all tow bar hookups.... I saved enough in just the labor cost to pay for a new in-motion satellite system and two receivers to use with my DISH network (for the bedroom and living room).

With all the above installations and promotions at this time I saved over $1,900...

I could not be more happy with that...

Ted.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Just a suggestion. When you have the radiator exposed - cover it with a piece of screen door mesh (use stainless steel if possible). This will protect the radiator from most stones or crap on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040794 (Small).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	50048  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #22

HARBOR FREIGHT sell a set of tools for all the different clips, I have done my Honda fit twice and my old tracker. The clip tools make the job a lot easier.

Jut wanted to add that I feel your pain, seems I've had many jobs I had trouble with and others breezed threw them.

John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #23

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
So I ordered a Blue Ox baseplate for the wife's new ride. Went to install it last Saturday, followed every instruction to a T but the fascia would not come off around the grill. Researched on the internet, watched videos, talked to people, nope. Four hours trying to find what was holding it on to no avail! Being as it has only 1,200 miles on it i don't want to damage anything so i guess i'll have to take it somewhere to be installed. Pisses me off to no end! I'm no slouch with tools having rebuilt many cars, motorcycles and boats but this is frustrating!
Did you ever get the base plate installed? If so, I hope it went well.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
It took a Honda tech and myself about 1 1/2 hours to get it off. There are some small black -push on - clips hidden in black creases of the fascia. They make a sickening sound as they release but nothing broke and it only took 1/2 hour to put it back on.
Check with a local Honda dealer's body department for a knowledgeable tech and pay them to get the rest off. You can either have them put on the base plate and replace the fascia - with your supervision (best) or take it home and do it all yourself.
It is quite easy to get the bumper(ha ha) off and replace it with the base plate - just one rivet or bolt to grind off on each side and then the base plate slips in. Make sure you use the included safety chains to help if the frame ever brakes.
Patience - patience.

Tags
install