Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

2013 CR-V Baseplate Install - FAIL!

So I ordered a Blue Ox baseplate for the wife's new ride. Went to install it last Saturday, followed every instruction to a T but the fascia would not come off around the grill. Researched on the internet, watched videos, talked to people, nope. Four hours trying to find what was holding it on to no avail! Being as it has only 1,200 miles on it i don't want to damage anything so i guess i'll have to take it somewhere to be installed. Pisses me off to no end! I'm no slouch with tools having rebuilt many cars, motorcycles and boats but this is frustrating!

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Humm....

I am just wanting to do the same job for my 2013 CR-V (with a Demco baseplate).

I have spoke to several others that installed a base plate on their 2013 CR-V and did not have any show stopping issues.

What model is yours?

I wonder if there is something different on one model versus another....

It would be nice to get some posts from other 2013 CR-V owners that have attempted this job..... Please!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

I helped putting on the baseplate on our 2013 crv. PIA but we did it.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

I had mine installed by a Hitch Shop. Some days they do two CRV's in a day complete with taillight wiring and breakaway into the driver compartment. Makes me think it's not overly complicated but since I did not do this one myself, can't say for sure. Others have posted they installed theirs on the CRV without problems.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hear you...

My brother in law and I tackled this project and there were a few fasteners that were a real bear to get figured out. The 4 "clips" on the font do NOT come out easily. Once we got those out after an hour of pinching, squeezing and cussing, the rest wasn't too bad. Going back together was much easier. All-in-all it took us about 4 hours to do the plate and 3 hours to install the Air Force One stuff.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

I did my own install of Blue Ox baseplates on a 2010 CR-V then a 2012 (which I believe is the same as the 2013). I had some problems getting the facia off like you said, but finally it broke loose and I got it off. It went back on without problems. I was about ready to quit, but finally it all worked out. This was my third baseplate to install. Maybe I need to wear out the present toad.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2013 CRV, and the yellow clips were the worst. The best instructions I found were from Honda on a fog light installation kit
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...s_AII13139.pdf
The link above is for the instructions, which offers the best information for removing the bumper.

If I can be of any help, just PM me.

P.S. this is my first post, I have received a lot of great information from this site and thought I could finally contribute
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_TN View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2013 CRV, and the yellow clips were the worst. The best instructions I found were from Honda on a fog light installation kit
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...s_AII13139.pdf
The link above is for the instructions, which offers the best information for removing the bumper.

If I can be of any help, just PM me.

P.S. this is my first post, I have received a lot of great information from this site and thought I could finally contribute
James, that doc was an eye opener for sure. Nowhere in Blue Ox's docs does it show or even mention the additional clips behind the grill. Wait it does, there's a circle showing the outboard clips you can't make out! Nowhere does it mention the clips below the headlights either, just says release the four behind the grill and lift off, yeah right!

So how does one release all those clips with a screwdriver? I had to release the four behind the grill using two pairs of needlenose to squeeze all four sides!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
So how does one release all those clips with a screwdriver? I had to release the four behind the grill using two pairs of needlenose to squeeze all four sides!
We had to use 2 small screw drivers to wedge the flat parts of clips and were able to squeeze the ends with our fingers...wasn't fun.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We had to use 2 small screw drivers to wedge the flat parts of clips and were able to squeeze the ends with our fingers...wasn't fun.
I wonder if there is a tool that would make it an easier job. Maybe I will check with the local Honda body shop at the dealer. They may have some suggestions.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_TN View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2013 CRV, and the yellow clips were the worst. The best instructions I found were from Honda on a fog light installation kit http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...s_AII13139.pdf The link above is for the instructions, which offers the best information for removing the bumper. If I can be of any help, just PM me. P.S. this is my first post, I have received a lot of great information from this site and thought I could finally contribute
James, thanks for the post. Good you had that document that I could look at before starting my effort.... It is great to have you as a new poster on iRV2!!!

Wow.... That is a lot to do for the fog light installation...... I am glad I bought them with my model installed....
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
James, that doc was an eye opener for sure. Nowhere in Blue Ox's docs does it show or even mention the additional clips behind the grill. Wait it does, there's a circle showing the outboard clips you can't make out! Nowhere does it mention the clips below the headlights either, just says release the four behind the grill and lift off, yeah right! So how does one release all those clips with a screwdriver? I had to release the four behind the grill using two pairs of needlenose to squeeze all four sides!
One very important piece of information that is not covered in the instructions, when removing the front bumper where it joins with the quarter-panel (on the side) there are tabs that can be pushed down with a very small screwdriver. The front bumper has holes that slip into the tabs on the quarter-panel, the holes are very thin, so if you pull as some instructions say you could tear one (and yes i did tear one). I had the bumper free and then worked on the yellow clips to finally get it off.

The yellow clip next to the headlight was the hardest, it was a two person job. Pulling out with slight pressure, while trying to find the correct tab on the yellow clip to push with a screwdriver (just no room to get a hand up there).

The good news is once you get it off, putting it back together is a snap (and yes pun is intended), it was simple to reassemble.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
Razzman,

Let us know if you complete the project with out taking it to a shop. It would be nice to know...

I just got two estimates and could save several hundred if I just take on the job myself....
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

Will do, i just have to find the additional time now to do it again. Hopefully weekend after next.

Tags
install