Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2013 CRV Toad Wiring Harness

I hope that someone on here has installed this in their CRV. I have been trying to figure out how the Hopkins 56304 pre made wiring harness installs in a 2013 CRV. Is it at the connection just before the lights or under a panel in the rear of the car? Also will it illuminate both tail lights on each side or just the one on each side? I am trying to decide if I should use this or do the diode method. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to go to the hopkins site to find that product number. It looks like it has diodes built into the harness and plugs into your taillights/harness. If your two sets of lights are wired together than it should light them both, but it really doesn't matter as long as something lights up with running, turning, and brake lights.

It should have come with instructions for installation. If it didn't I would contact Hopkins to inquire. I don't find anything to download for that product.

From the Hopkins site:
Hopkins has made getting your dinghy ready for travel quick and easy!

Hopkins introduces Plug-In Simple! Wiring Harnesses for towed vehicles behind a motorhome. Each of these kits are vehicle specific and contain the necessary diodes needed for proper operation of the taillight, brake and turn signal functions for your dinghy. The Plug-In Simple! approach makes it easy to install and does not void the warranty of the towed vehicle as it eliminates all cutting and splicing. With a Dinghy Towing Harness, long, frustrating installations are a thing of the past!

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
CJBrown, thanks for trying to answer my question. Just in case someone has the same question, the picture on the web site is wrong. It showes 4 wires going into each plug. Its only 3 wires. The wires plug in directly at the tailight and only illuminate one light on each side of the vehcile.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One bulb is fine. If you really wanted the other you could just modify the harness. I dunno, guess you'd need another set of diodes then huh?

I saw someplace the diodes create some resistance and thus the taillamps are a bit dimmer, but they seem to be fine on my subaru. Can't be any worse than these bozos that put tinted lenses on their taillights just to be cool.

They didn't have a setup like that for the Subaru (yet), I'm sure the HOnda is WAY more popular. So I had to make my own connections with the diodes. Was really pretty easy, and there was room in the taillight housings for the connectors and diodes. All worked really well, I'm very please with that setup. The last car (scion xb) I drilled the lamp housing for an extra taillight bulb. It worked okay but was kind of messy and mcgyver'd looking. The diode setup is a way cleaner setup.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #5

Hookede this up and when I turn lights on in crv not hooked up to motorhome I get no brak, turn or tail lights Jeep if you get this write to me maybe you can help me out kejy@ptd.net from hazleton
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejy View Post
Hookede this up and when I turn lights on in crv not hooked up to motorhome I get no brak, turn or tail lights Jeep if you get this write to me maybe you can help me out kejy@ptd.net from hazleton
I will do the best I can to help you. I replied to the PM you sent. What did you install on the car? I used the Trailermate harness, etrailer was out of the Hopkins one. It was easy to install and works well so far. In addition I installed the Roadmaster brake light relay.

I would first try and check you ground wire. If that's not it make sure everything is fully plugged in. Are any of the fuses blown ?

Tags
toad, wiring