Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2013 Equinox tow setup

I have been using a tow dolly for towing and have changed to a 2013 FWD Equinox. I am looking for recommendations for setting this up to tow 4-down. I have searched and the options are a little overwellming as to what is needed. 1) Base Plate, 2) Tow bar, 3) brakes, 4) Lights 5) Etc.. Different makes and models and this and that. I am more of a weekender and do not plan to travel coast-to-coast anytime soon. I want to be safe but not looking for top-of-the-line either. Before someone recommends to keep using the dolly, that is one of the reasons why I went with the Equinox, I got tired of crawling around in the rain and messing with straps and chains.

Thanks for now,
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Your 1 - 5 assumptions are spot on! Etrailer.com has everything you need...many choices. I use the brake Buddy Vantage for braking and a roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar...and roadmaster base plates...i dont know how handy you are with installing the baseplates...might want to pay somebody to do that install...figure about $200.00 for that. All in all...if you buy new towing stuff...you are looking at about $3k... You will not regret towing 4 down either. The good nees about your tow bar and Brakebuddy is that you keep that when you change toads...the wiring will be easy...they make custom wiring kits for your vehicle...very easy install...particularly if you have access to a lift...otherwise you have to do some crawling around underneath your Chevy!

Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Jim. I will take a look at etailer. I didn't think about portability and moving to another vehicle if/when needed.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Yep...you will leave your base plates and wiring...you might also want to think about using a 7 pin connection coming off the coach to the Chevy...that way you can run a pos charging wire to the Chevy battery...NO MORE dead batteries...I learned that the hard way.CW did it for me...$100.00 bucks and the 7 pin wiring coiled cable part was a hundred bucks...Etrailer has it for 80 bucks or so...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sold the tow dolly within 2 hours of putting on craigslist. After looking at my options, I decided on the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. After thinking about the brake boxes, I kinda like the simplicity ($$) of the integrated ready brake. Less portable but I could move it to a new toad without too much trouble.

Shopping list:
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute Elite w/blue ox connectors
Blue Ox tail light kit (diodes)
Safety cables
Flex coil wiring

What am I missing?
Don't know to much about Ready Brute. I hope I will be happy with it.

Brian
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #6

I think you are there...but there are greater minds than mine on here!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey55 View Post
Sold the tow dolly within 2 hours of putting on craigslist. After looking at my options, I decided on the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. After thinking about the brake boxes, I kinda like the simplicity ($$) of the integrated ready brake. Less portable but I could move it to a new toad without too much trouble.

Shopping list:
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute Elite w/blue ox connectors
Blue Ox tail light kit (diodes)
Safety cables
Flex coil wiring

What am I missing?
Don't know to much about Ready Brute. I hope I will be happy with it.

Brian
List looks good.
Here is a link to a thread on setting up the braking system on a Ready Brute.
ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got the baseplate and towbar hooked up and ran out of time. Still need to hook up brake and lights. Looks like I'll need to get a 4" drop receiver too. Front is about 5" higher. Put on magnetic lights and took it for a test pull.

Easy connecting and pulls great. I am not going to miss the dolly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131012_112703.png
Views:	83
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	47667

Brian
Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The owners manual tells me to run the engine for five minutes at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop. When I do this, do I just leave it in Neutral with the fuse pulled and start it up? When done, do I just turn the key back to the ACC position or do I need to do anything else such as putting in park to start the car? Some say follow your owners manual exactly and you wont have problems but this isn't clear to me.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey55 View Post
The owners manual tells me to run the engine for five minutes at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop. When I do this, do I just leave it in Neutral with the fuse pulled and start it up? When done, do I just turn the key back to the ACC position or do I need to do anything else such as putting in park to start the car? Some say follow your owners manual exactly and you wont have problems but this isn't clear to me.
Best bet is to check with your Chevy Dealer...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am trying to find a solution to brake lights coming on when the brakes are applied from the toad brake system. Is there another solution like pulling a fuse to the brake circuit? I do not want to wire in a brake relay because of potential warranty problems. If pulling a fuse is the answer which fuse do you pull?
Moe
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejean View Post
I am trying to find a solution to brake lights coming on when the brakes are applied from the toad brake system. Is there another solution like pulling a fuse to the brake circuit? I do not want to wire in a brake relay because of potential warranty problems. If pulling a fuse is the answer which fuse do you pull?
Moe
If you're talking about your RV lights coming on when you press your toad brake pedal, you have to wire in some diodes to prevent back feeding to your RV. Do a search of this forum on diodes and brake lights and you will find a lot of information on the subject. Good luck with the project, it's pretty easy to wire it up correctly!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejean View Post
Moe
I wrestled with this issue with our Equinox. Almost everything in newer cars is controlled by computers including the lights, so I couldn't even figure out which wire to install the relay on. The good news is, almost everything in the Equinox, including the car's brake lights, shuts down 10 minutes after closing the door - even with the ignition switch in ACC.

You can prove this to yourself by sitting in the car for at least 10 minutes and then pressing on the brake pedal. The door has to be closed the entire time. Either have someone watch the rear of the car for you or do the test at night so you can see the reflection of the brake lights behind you in the dark.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paz, how on earth did you find this information. I have been looking on the internet for ever, asked at two different dealerships, made phone calls to customer service lines at GM in the US and Canada and I have forgotten where else I've tried. No one had the answer or could help me. You my friend are on my Christmas list. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Regards, Moe