Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2013 Fj Cruiser - Blue Ox Factory Visit - Setup

Hello everyone,

Posting this mainly for others who may already own or considering a 2013 Fj cruiser for their Toad.

I have been lurking this forum and others regarding tow setups for an FJ. I would like to thank all who have posted information. It has been quite helpful and educating.

On Wednesday I will be bringing my 2013 FJ to Blue Ox for test fitting. They will see if the existing base plate works. If it does not they will use my vehicle to fabricate one for resell.

Regardless of which path is chosen my Fj will be outfitted by their techs. When I return I will share my setup information on the forum.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

Great people up there did my Jeep Wrangler COD last year (non std. bumpers). Had to fab new baseplate. Great deal they do if they don't have template for your model. If not taking motorhome, be sure to stay in West Point, nice motel on East side of town, can't remember the name. Not much in Pender.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got back from my test fit Thursday night. They are very nice people to deal with and could not be happier in my decision.

The Base Plate is a carryover from the previous FJ model years. So if you have a new FJ it is a go. The fit and finish of this base plate is outstanding and most people do not notice it unless you point it out to them.

While there they installed the base plate, diode light kit/wiring, and related equipment. I am running the aventa tow bar, karguard ll, and the autostop braking system.

Blue Ox has a fitment program for vehicles they have not confirmed their parts will fit or they have yet to fabricate. This involves bringing in your vehicle so they can perform fitment checks and/or fabrication. It is an EXCELLENT deal so if you are offered this chance it is well worth the visit to the facility.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like I'll be scheduling a visit to the Blue Ox factory for their fit program in the near future also. I factory ordered a 2014 Jeep Compass with the Weather Capability Package. This package includes a tow hook and the front fascia is completely different than the Compass without the tow hooks. The Blue Ox baseplate for the Jeep Compass is designed for the Compass without tow hooks. I've talked to them already and am waiting for delivery on the Jeep. They said I would qualify for the program. Hopefully I can get it done the first week of June. Of course, it's a 1,500 drive for me one-way but I think it will be worth it to get a custom fit baseplate along with their other goodies. I'm not taking my MH and will drive out there by myself. My DW isn't too happy.

I'm glad you posted your experience. Makes me more confident they'll do the right thing.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you will be very happy with the results. It is in a heavy agriculture area and the towns are small with not a lot to do - but after driving I didnt feel like doing a lot with the bad weather we were having. I stayed at West Point at the Horizons Inn which is where you can get the Blue Ox corp rates. I don't remember all the roads I took or the route you will take. But think you will come up I-29 at some point. It is a better route to cross over on Hwy 51 from I-29 since you wont have your MH. It will put in just south of Pender on Hwy 9. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

I was under the impression the FJ could not be flat towed. Does it require one of those transmission pumps?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
I was under the impression the FJ could not be flat towed. Does it require one of those transmission pumps?
They can and are being flat towed. Searching this forum you can find more posts regarding the FJ tow setups. Toyota basically states none of their vehicles can be flat towed and I suspect they just dont want the issues/liability in doing so.

It boils down to either a pump, drive shaft disconnect or removal. I have not done much research on the pumps but was strongly leaning in that direction. Instead - Im just going to remove my driveshaft while towing. It is eight bolts and my FJ has a 3 inch lift kit so getting underneath is not cumbersome. I will be doing a test removal tonight or Monday night. I went to a local Toyota dealer and they had an FJ on a lift. The master tech confirmed how easy the removal is.

My whole setup from RV to Toad is for work. When I show up in the Mojave in a couple weeks I will be there for many months. So this is something I wont have to do every few days. This will also allow me time to find a more permanent solution - which for me will probably be a pump.

I know other vehicles like Jeeps are have an easier setup. I have had two Jeep wranglers. This is my second FJ. For me - the extra work is worth it so I can keep my FJ on the road with me.

Hope this helps - Doug
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MoHillbilly - I sent you a private message.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did a test run tonight on the driveshaft removal. Piece of cake. My Fj is one with the inverter and power outlet in the back. Was gonna find an electric setup for this task but it was simple enough dont think I need to. It is still simple enough for my lifestyle that I have no plans on buying a disconnect or pump.

It is flange to flange with four bolts on each end. Each flange on the driveshaft has a machined "lip" which fits into the flanges on the drivetrain which keeps things concentric.

Happy Trails -