Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

2013 ford explorer

I want to buy a 2013 explorer with the ecoboost engine . The 2012 shows it to be towable but not the 2013. Does anyone know why? The sales people are clueless some don't even know what dinghy towing is. Anyone towing a 2012 with ecoboost engine have any problems? Thanks in advance for the replies
bdawson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

According to the 2013 Explorer Owner Manual, the 2.0L engine is not towable with either 2 or 4 wheels on the ground. The other engines are towable. So if it is the 2.0L engine you are considering, the answer is no towing - you must use a trailer (not a dolly). If its the V6, you are good to go.

The usual reason would be the transmission is not deigned to be self-lubricating while under tow. That severely limits the time and speed it can be towed.

2013 Explorer Owner Manual
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an 2012 Edge with 2.0 ecoboost and its towable we have only towed it 200+ mi so far and had no problems with it I wonder if they are using a different trans from the 2012 model have you looked at a 2013 edge with 2.0 ecoboost and is it still towable
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Funny thing is, I went to the ford dealer and he looked thru his tech book and found instructions for towing the 2013 the same as 2012 with no restrictions. So the tech book contradicts the owners manual, what do ya believe ? And as far as the 2013 Edge goes the owners manual says the same thing ( you can find it on fords website under "support") trailer tow only. But i'll bet also in the tech manual you 'll find it towable. Maybe i'll go buy a Chevy! Thanks for the replies.
bdawson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope they havent changed their mind on the 2.0 as being towable because next month we are going on a cross country trip and if we have any problems Im not going to be a happy camper
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talked to ford relations they have no answer why no towing for the 2.0 they said talk to my dealer and the service manager after some checking said 2013 is towable no change they don't know why the manual says different definitely said 2012 is towable
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry for being slightly for a second, but can anyone explain to me why you are able to buy a 2013 model in early 2012? The car is obviously not designed in 2013 and it's certainly not build in 2013.

Would anyone in April 2012 buy a set of new tires or car batteries with a label that read 2013? I can see the marketing advantages on behalf of the manufacturers, but what about consumers. Only thing I can see is that we like to pretend that we bought something that is a year "newer" than what it really is, and for that reason we just go along pretending.

I really don't get it.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't get it either but in the olden days new models didn't come out till Aug or Sept now they come out in the spring time
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When ever the marketing guys want to highlight some product change they feel is important, they like to change the model year. Shows it is "new" in their mindset.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

The 6 cylinder Explorer/Edge has the 6F50 transmission that tows. The 4 cylinder Eco Boost uses the 6F35 transmission and I've heard reports that Ford had a rash of warranty claims on that transmission and concluded it doesn't work for towing. Even if you have warranty coverage due to an earlier model and no owner's manual prohibition, do you really want to await a dealer in God-knows-where who is meeting you for the first time to file a claim and await the delivery of a replacement 6F35?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
We have an 2012 Edge with 2.0 ecoboost and its towable we have only towed it 200+ mi so far and had no problems with it I wonder if they are using a different trans from the 2012 model have you looked at a 2013 edge with 2.0 ecoboost and is it still towable
No 2013 2.0L ecoboost powertrains are flat towable. Im not sure how yours is not in the owners guild along with the Explorer. 2012 2.0L ecoboost powertrains use the same 6F35 transmission that is in the 2010 Fusion/Escapes that were said to be flat towable. After many failures (some actual documented customer abuse on these failures that I have been involved in at Ford) in early 2012 model year there was an addendum supplied in the owners guide that the 2012 after a certain build date was not flat towable. 2012 Ecoboost 6F35's there was a mild design change in the 6F35 transmission to help improve shift quality and some other minor changes that included cooling system. 2013 across the board they are not deemed flat towable. That transmission is mated to all engines in the Fusions/MKZ except 3.7L and hybrid. No Escapes (all engines) are flat towable and no Edges, Taurus's, Explorers with the 2.0L ecoboost engine is flat towable.

If I were you I would make for absolute certain that you remain below 65 MPH and stick closer to 60MPH. I would also stop more often and run the engine for longer than 5 minutes as instructed in the owners guide. That transmission does build up a lot of heat.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBear View Post
The 6 cylinder Explorer/Edge has the 6F50 transmission that tows. The 4 cylinder Eco Boost uses the 6F35 transmission and I've heard reports that Ford had a rash of warranty claims on that transmission and concluded it doesn't work for towing. Even if you have warranty coverage due to an earlier model and no owner's manual prohibition, do you really want to await a dealer in God-knows-where who is meeting you for the first time to file a claim and await the delivery of a replacement 6F35?
Not only a complete reman transmission (not brand new unless it is that current model year) all transmission cooling system components require replacement. You cannot clean out all the melted plastic in the cooling system.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
I hope they havent changed their mind on the 2.0 as being towable because next month we are going on a cross country trip and if we have any problems Im not going to be a happy camper
The best advise I can give you is drive 60 MPH, stop more often for transmission cool downs and remove the lower engine cover that is mounted to the subframe. Hopefully this will help with getting more cool air flowing past the transmission. I stopped a diesel pusher a few years ago towing a 2011 Escape and it was starting to smoke from transmission fluid coming out of the vent. When the engine was started the PCM was in transmission protect over heat mode. Very harsh engagement, engine light. The under hood temps felt like they were driving the Escape.

Tags
ford