Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #1

2013 Ford Focus

Does anyone know if the 2013 5-speed manual trans Ford Focus has a steering wheel lock?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 2012 Ford Focus with manual 5 speed. Does not have a steering wheel lock.
Jfhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jack. That's encouraging.
Now if I can verify the 2012 and 2013 interlocks are the same. I'll be overjoyed.
Do you tow your Focus?
If so, what base plate do you use?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to a Ford dealer and with a 2013 with manual trans, put in neutral, take key out of column, and turn the steering wheel. It will turn hard because the engine is not running but will turn. Good luck
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, we tow the Focus using the Blue Ox system. It's like it's not there. Easy to hook up and track beautifully. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

Hi Jack.........er, Hello Jack.

I'm only on this crusade to discover if I have to leave a key in the ignition turned to accessory to allow the wheels to track properly (as the others I've owned).
The manual makes no mention of what position the ignition switch must be in under the 'Towing vehicles with a manual transmission' section (the Engineer in me distrusts vague or incomplete information). And after that little trick they pulled with the Escape's towability, I'm being doubly cautious.

The tabs on the baseplate are considerably lower that the receiver on the MH. Do you use a drop-hitch adaptor to level the tow bar?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Following this post, the Ford Focus is on our short list
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

John,

With the exception of a Ford powered 1972 MG, Ford powered 1960 Austin-Healey and Ford powered 1933 REO Roadster, all our cars since 1988 have been factory original Lincoln, Ford or Mercury vehicles. In all that time, aside from scheduled maintenance, I've only had to replace a belt tensioner bearing and a fuse (caused by my own stupidity).

The only negative I can find in the Focus is the back seat, which is suitable only for midgets with no legs.

I do, however, suggest you go to the Ford web site and download a Focus Owner's Manual (you may be surprised by the many options you can get). Then, read some of the Focus reviews you'll find on the web.

NOTE: The S model has power windows for the front only and rear drum brakes. The SE has all power windows and rear disc brakes (we have the SE with the 201A package - no Turbo).

FWIW, I'm getting 34 MPG in mixed driving over the 1300 miles since new. The lowest I've seen is 30, the highest 38.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

The Ford Focus appears to have everything that we need in a towed vehicle. I am vacillating between a Jeep Wrangler and the Focus. I like to Fly Fish and so the Jeep is attractive in that it is all terrain. The Focus would be much more convenient more often, in that most of our "Toad" use would be around town (on paved roads).

We have a Fleetwood Bounder and the center-line of the trailer hitch is approximately 22" above the ground...the Jeep's bumper has a similar height, whereas with the Focus I would have to have a drop hitch...I'm not sure if that is a negative...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a 2012 focus SE with the sports package. It has the manual trans, and no ignition lock. Even though I specifically bought it to tow, we have not towed it yet. We have put 24000 miles on it. It drives great, handles very well, and has plenty of power. It seems to get 32 mpg every week without fail. We took it to Key West and back very comfortably.

Obviously, I am recommending the car.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob
We tow our Focus with the key removed. With the key inn the accessory position it registers mileage. With key out it does not. By the way, it's a great car. My wife has a Mercedes SUV but I prefer the Focus because its fun to drive. We have the hatch back so our chocolate lab can ride in back with the seat folded down.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

Jack,
The mileage accruing is, of course, my big concern. And I sure don't want to disconnect the battery to prevent that. Very happy to hear there's no steering column lock.

As for fun; yes, it sure is. I had a Mercury Cougar V6 5-speed before and would have kept that in a heartbeat. But, the darned PATS system went screwy and it wouldn't start after sitting for a few days. The parts were out of print and I became frustrated and went to the Focus. The Cougar was a really fun car to drive and the acceleration was a lot better than the Focus.

I will say one thing tho', when the Focus comes on the cams, the increase in acceleration is noticable.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I feel better for them.

Merry Christmas and a most Happy New Year.
Keep safe and God bless.

Bob

Tags
ford