Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD

I have worked out a good price on this 2013 new car, and per the owners manual it can (and must) be flat towed.

I am flat towing my Ford Escape Hybrid now with a Demco Commander tow bar. [ moderator edit ]

Before I sign the deal, I wanted to get your thoughts and experience in towing this car.

Is there anyone flat towing this car?

Is there a Demco Commander base plate available for this car?

Are there any issues or concerns about flat towing this car?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #2

We flat tow our 2010 Honda CRV EXL and it works out very well. However to pull the fuse would have taken a gymnist, due to its location. Therefore, buy a toggle switch that solves the problem and have it installed.

RARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RARN View Post
We flat tow our 2010 Honda CRV EXL and it works out very well. However to pull the fuse would have taken a gymnist, due to its location. Therefore, buy a toggle switch that solves the problem and have it installed.
From where do you get the toggle switch? How and where did you install it? Any pics?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I have worked out a good price on this 2013 new car, and per the owners manual it can (and must) be flat towed. I am flat towing my Ford Escape Hybrid now with a Demco Commander tow bar. [ moderator edit ] Before I sign the deal, I wanted to get your thoughts and experience in towing this car. Is there anyone flat towing this car? Is there a Demco Commander base plate available for this car? Are there any issues or concerns about flat towing this car?
Please let me know your thoughts in regard to my post.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2012 CR-V AWD and are very happy with it. Can't speak for the Demco tow bar since we use a Blue Ox. Regarding pulling fuses, we run a 12 volt charge line through the 6 pin connector. No flat battery problems ever, and no need to pull fuses or add switches. Altogether I would say the CR-V is a great toad.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look through the posts on vehicles people are towing and I think you find the Honda CR-V is one of the most popular vehicles being used for towing behind an RV. It has a lot going for it, effecient use of space, good looks, lighter weight, reliability, and economic to drive.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

I tow a 2013 CRV EXL AWD with a Roadmaster baseplate and Falcon All Terrain tow bar. I use an RVi 2 brake and wired the cars lights. I added a LSL charge line for the battery instead of fooling around with the fuse. It tows beautifully. Simple procedure to follow. No problems and probably one of the best and most reliable towed vehicles available.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
I tow a 2013 CRV EXL AWD with a Roadmaster baseplate and Falcon All Terrain tow bar. I use an RVi 2 brake and wired the cars lights. I added a LSL charge line for the battery instead of fooling around with the fuse. It tows beautifully. Simple procedure to follow. No problems and probably one of the best and most reliable towed vehicles available.
Ok. Thanks. It is appreciated!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2011 CR V EXL and it tows great. Had a dead battery first time out then used a charge line from the 7 pin connector. Never a problem again.. I had M & G breaking installed and love it. One air line to connect and done. It is a great toad!!!

Dave
djhinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The CRV seems to be the toad of choice on this board. Hey, if the price is right I say go for it. IMO Honda quality is very good.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We looked at the CRV and Ford Edge. The Edge is a little heavier but a lot more car IMHO. No fuses to pull on the Edge but they do want you to start it every 6 hours. So far (3500 miles) we're very happy with the Edge. The CRV would have been OK but I feel the Edge is great.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I looked at the 2013 & 2014 Edge and Escape. They can not be flat towed. I know that the 2012 Escape could be, not sure about the Edge, regardless, not the 2013 or 2014 models of either.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. I looked at the 2013 & 2014 Edge and Escape. They can not be flat towed. I know that the 2012 Escape could be, not sure about the Edge, regardless, not the 2013 or 2014 models of either.
Incorrect, the 2013 V6 is flat towable per the owners manual. 65 mph limit and 6 hours before starting the engine and running for 5 minutes. The 4 cylinder Eco Boost is not flat towable because it has a different tranny.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Incorrect, the 2013 V6 is flat towable per the owners manual. 65 mph limit and 6 hours before starting the engine and running for 5 minutes. The 4 cylinder Eco Boost is not flat towable because it has a different tranny.
Maybe I looked at the wrong model. Is your 2013 V6 an 4WD (or AWD), and is it a manual or automatic transmission?

Thanks for the feedback.