Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

2013 Jeep transfer case hard shifting

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara -- When setting up the Jeep to be towed the instructions state to put the transmission in neutral then shift the transfer case to neutral. It takes a lot of pressure to move the transfer case shifter from 2H to Neutral. I am concerned that I will damage the shifter cable. Has anyone else had this problem ? If so what is the fix?

Walter
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

My '06 Rubicon's transfer case lever is stiff on occasion but it's more when I come out of N to 2H. I don't know enough about the internal workings to know why but there are a couple jeep forums that might be able to help you better.
Here's one I look at when I have a question.

JeepForum.com - Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Community

Keith
Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
This should be a "synchronization" issue. Usually turning engine on and shifting to DRIVE and the REVERSE, letting the vehicle move a bit will help you. Same thing when disconnecting the toad, if you can't get the gears to mesh, try physically moving/rocking the vehicle and the gears will sync and no excessive force should be needed. You should "feel" the gear mesh/sync when in proper position and it should be smooth and no force needed.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

As I move my Wrangler up to be hitched, I slide it into 4H. After hitching, it slides into N nicely.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

I have a 2013 Sahara and Rocky and 'justaroamer' have it right. Keep your engine running, WITH YOUR TRANSMISSION IN GEAR. next move your transfer case shifter from 4H to 4L, THEN neutral. IF you experience any grinding or strong resistance to making any of these moves,STOP and let the clutch out (or move 1-2" in an auto) to let all the gears engage. The problem is that there are no synchronizers in the transfer case so you need to 'bump' gears to align sometimes.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You may find it will loosen up a bit too with time and age.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Do not force the transfer case into any of it's position... The connection of the cable to the gear is made of plastic... This is a known issue and I would buy a few of those plastic connectors, they are very cheap and a broken connector will def leave you stranded somewhere.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied to my Hard shifting transfer case post. After a trip to our local Jeep dealer and instruction from Zack, my problem seems to be solved. Zack's instructions include , the motor running while shifting the transfer case to neutral. The manual states to shut down the motor. Also to hold the shifter all the way to the right when shifting out of 2H to neutral. Hold the foot brake down while shifting. It works for me. I also purchased 4 spare shifter cable bushes just in case.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

So, have you tried it Zack's way and how did it work? I find the comment about holding the lever to the right interesting as mine has no side to side play at all.
Keith
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #10

Hard shifting transfer case

RockyD68 Yes Zack's way works for me. Our jeep is a 2013 Wrangler Sahara w/ Automatic trans. It has a straight slot for the shifter to travel through the positions. The first time Zack shifted from 2H to N it went very smoothly so I tried his way and had the same results. I will post further results after our next trip.

Walter
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's also a plastic clip that breaks quite often. It' located under the car near the transfer case. DO a search on any wrangler forum and you'll find a thread about it.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Rick. Yes I read about the plastic clip that will break if you try to force the transfer case to shift. The staff at our local Jeep dealership stated that this is not a problem with the 2013 Sahara. Yes I believe them but I still purchased four clips to have for spares.