Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #15

Glad you got it worked out Wayne. I have never been to Smitty's but they have been recommended too me on several occasions. Glad the install went well

Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Steve, I'm waiting to get that ROUND-TUIT and I'll meter it.

Thanks everyone else, I do have a ROUND-TUIT, and I know exactly where it is.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #17

2013 Lincoln MKX flat tow (QUESTIONS)

I recently purchased a 2014 Anthem 44B, getting it set up to play, i read the thread about questions learjet1 had on flat towing the MKX which we have and just got set up to flat tow behind the coach, the question is did you have to install a charge circuit to keep the vehicles battery from going dead ?, when the vehicle is placed in accessory power mode you can shut down most of the electrical system accessories, except the dash, a portion stays powered up to inform you that you are in accessory mode and shift indicator light shows neutral position, did it drain the battery on a long trip ?, i'm wondering if a battery disconnect would cause any issues, i'm also curious if the park brake fuse issue ever got resolved, Thanks, hope to hear from you
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Thanks Steve, I'm waiting to get that ROUND-TUIT and I'll meter it.

Thanks everyone else, I do have a ROUND-TUIT, and I know exactly where it is.
Just a follow up that I did get a round-tuit and he problem was definitely reversed wires. I swapped the ones on the TOAD and all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 Anthem 44B, getting it set up to play, i read the thread about questions learjet1 had on flat towing the MKX which we have and just got set up to flat tow behind the coach, the question is did you have to install a charge circuit to keep the vehicles battery from going dead ?, when the vehicle is placed in accessory power mode you can shut down most of the electrical system accessories, except the dash, a portion stays powered up to inform you that you are in accessory mode and shift indicator light shows neutral position, did it drain the battery on a long trip ?, i'm wondering if a battery disconnect would cause any issues, i'm also curious if the park brake fuse issue ever got resolved, Thanks, hope to hear from you
Angelo, I never set up a charge circuit. I tow 250 to 300 miles and I have never had the battery go down. I turn everything off. After shutting the motor off I push the keyless start button and put it into accessory mode, then I turn off the display. The dash tells me to put it in park, but of course I have it in neutral. It is my understanding that the power to the dash shuts down after 10 minutes. This is demonstrated by the system when you come to a stop in a parking lot. Open the door to shut the system off, close it and put the keyless ignition into accessory mode. After about 10 minutes the system will shut down and only comes on when you unlock the doors. - At least that is the way mine is working.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #19

2013 Lincoln MKX

Wayne Thank You for responding, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I've been busier than a one legged man in a rear end kicking contest, getting ready for a trip to Idaho, i keep a battery jumper pack with me, never had to use it on the Suzuki, figured i might have to on the lincoln, looked into installing a charge wire circuit from the coach to mkx but the circuit on the anthem is dead, another visit to the repair shop i guess, but thanks again and maybe we'll meet up one of these days (Anthem with a white MKX)
Old 10-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We are towing our 2013 MKX and 3 out of 5 days the battery on the toad was completely dead after 5 hours of towing. We had Camping World install the tow plate and install the connection for lights.

We arrived back home yesterday so I fully charged the MKX battery overnight and have a volt meter hooked to the battery and the ignition in Accessory mode for 5 hours now and the voltage is reading 12.62 on the battery so I don't think it is the cars accessory mode that is draining the battery.

The lights work correctly on the MKX when hooked up as a toad but is there some way the coach is draining the battery through the light connection? I have a solar charger that I can put on the dash and connect to the MKX battery that might help maintain the battery when towing, but it doesn't seem like I should have to do that. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
bob

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Bob,
Towed the 2013 MKX since last September and never had a problem, until, just completed 3-1/2 months on the road and 2 times the battery was DOA with not enough juice to start the engine. I have a battery charger with me and first time I just plugged it in, hooked it to the MKX battery and went about my business. About an hour later I went out and it started just fine. Next time I thought I was prepared in purchasing one of those portable jump starts. Apparently it was not big enough at 650 cranking amps. Gentleman parked next to me had a 950 CA and it started the car fine. Swapped the 650 in for 950, just in case.

Next two times out when I stopped for a "pit" stop I started the car, let it run for 5 minutes and it was fine when we stopped at our destination. So go figure, I sure can't figure it out.

I'm still under maintenance warranty so I think I'll be talking with Ford.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hi Bob,
Towed the 2013 MKX since last September and never had a problem, until, just completed 3-1/2 months on the road and 2 times the battery was DOA with not enough juice to start the engine. I have a battery charger with me and first time I just plugged it in, hooked it to the MKX battery and went about my business. About an hour later I went out and it started just fine. Next time I thought I was prepared in purchasing one of those portable jump starts. Apparently it was not big enough at 650 cranking amps. Gentleman parked next to me had a 950 CA and it started the car fine. Swapped the 650 in for 950, just in case.

Next two times out when I stopped for a "pit" stop I started the car, let it run for 5 minutes and it was fine when we stopped at our destination. So go figure, I sure can't figure it out.

I'm still under maintenance warranty so I think I'll be talking with Ford.

Wayne, Isn't there a fuse bypass switch that can be installed so that when towing your toad you can switch off the circuit that has a draw on power.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Wayne, I hooked mine up to the coach today and put the Coach flashers on for a couple of hours and the MKX battery stayed right at 12.5 volts so the problem seems to come and go and everything worked as it should today for some reason.

I also carry a battery charger and put it on the MKX each time the battery went dead and it started after about 15 minutes charge. Although I didn't finish charging it up completely, we did drive from Bryce Canyon to Zion in the MKX and put almost 200 miles on it one day so it should have had a fairly good charge but it was dead as a door nail the next day after about 5 hours being towed.

I am wondering if I might have left the radio or climate control on when I put it in Accessory mode the first day and ran the battery completely down, and the brief charge to start the MKX and the 200 mile drive never actually charged the battery up enough so that the drain from being on Accessory mode while being towed the next day was able to pull the battery down again?

Another odd thing is when I would put the MKX into the accessory mode, occasionally I would get a screen saying something to the effect of "disconnecting display to conserve battery power" or something like that but not every time. I don't know if that was because the battery was in a low state of charge, of if somehow I am missing something when going into accessory mode and not doing it the same way each time. Its pretty simple so I don't know how I could mess it up but certainly possible.

I am still under warranty also and would think it must have to be something to do with the Accessory Mode on the MKX. Please let me know if you find out anything and I will do likewise.

Sammie, I am assuming the MKX has to be put into accessory mode so something can run that needs to run? Otherwise, it seems like they would say to put the transmission in Neutral and turn the engine off instead of turn on accessory mode. I wanted to simply turn the engine off after putting transmission into Neutral but was concerned that I would be turning off something that needed to have access to power while being towed. But I don't know what that would be.

Bob

Bob & Pearl
Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #24

MKX

We have towed our MKX twice this year, Redding Ca. to Idaho, and to Brookins Oregon with no battery issues, I do fuss with the onboard screen display to shut it's display down as well as the radio and climate control to reduce battery draw, I don't know if the MKX requires battery power to keep the steering wheel lock from activating, I need to check some wiring schematics before i get too carried away, I was going to hook up a charge wire to the toads battery but the Anthem has no power to the 7 pin plug (in the repair shop now for warranty repairs), the only thing i don't like is when your in the accessory mode and towing, the MKXs speedo still clicks off the miles, i gotta find that fuse and disable it when towing, I also read several blogs here (not to change the subject) about the TPMS system, purchased the Eezee system which allows me to put sensors on the MKX and monitor its tires also when traveling, one heck of a great idea, talked to Tom at Eezee, if you mention the Tiffin forum he will send you a free signal booster with the purchase of the kit, if i find any further info I'll let you know, thanks Angelo
Old 10-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We do shut down the climate control and radio but I haven't found anything about how to shut down the onboard screen display. I thought it shut down on its own after 10 minutes but I haven't confirmed that. Do you have a way of shutting it down?

I didn't think ours tracked miles while we were towing, but I just casually confirmed that from memory so I need to write down the mirage and check it at the end of the day to make sure it doesn't accumulate the towed miles.

Bob & Pearl
Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Wayne, Isn't there a fuse bypass switch that can be installed so that when towing your toad you can switch off the circuit that has a draw on power.

Sammie
I have not read anything to that effect. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Pearl View Post
Thanks Wayne, I hooked mine up to the coach today and put the Coach flashers on for a couple of hours and the MKX battery stayed right at 12.5 volts so the problem seems to come and go and everything worked as it should today for some reason.

I also carry a battery charger and put it on the MKX each time the battery went dead and it started after about 15 minutes charge. Although I didn't finish charging it up completely, we did drive from Bryce Canyon to Zion in the MKX and put almost 200 miles on it one day so it should have had a fairly good charge but it was dead as a door nail the next day after about 5 hours being towed.

I am wondering if I might have left the radio or climate control on when I put it in Accessory mode the first day and ran the battery completely down, and the brief charge to start the MKX and the 200 mile drive never actually charged the battery up enough so that the drain from being on Accessory mode while being towed the next day was able to pull the battery down again?

Another odd thing is when I would put the MKX into the accessory mode, occasionally I would get a screen saying something to the effect of "disconnecting display to conserve battery power" or something like that but not every time. I don't know if that was because the battery was in a low state of charge, of if somehow I am missing something when going into accessory mode and not doing it the same way each time. Its pretty simple so I don't know how I could mess it up but certainly possible.

I am still under warranty also and would think it must have to be something to do with the Accessory Mode on the MKX. Please let me know if you find out anything and I will do likewise.

Sammie, I am assuming the MKX has to be put into accessory mode so something can run that needs to run? Otherwise, it seems like they would say to put the transmission in Neutral and turn the engine off instead of turn on accessory mode. I wanted to simply turn the engine off after putting transmission into Neutral but was concerned that I would be turning off something that needed to have access to power while being towed. But I don't know what that would be.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Pearl View Post
We do shut down the climate control and radio but I haven't found anything about how to shut down the onboard screen display. I thought it shut down on its own after 10 minutes but I haven't confirmed that. Do you have a way of shutting it down?

I didn't think ours tracked miles while we were towing, but I just casually confirmed that from memory so I need to write down the mirage and check it at the end of the day to make sure it doesn't accumulate the towed miles.
I have no idea why it has to be put in accessory mode. My experience is that it will shout off after 10 minutes. i have the auto engine start using the key fob. I have started it that way and let it run and after 10 minutes t shuts off. Accessory mode would be a good question for the Ford people.

I have to make sure I turn all accessories off, like auto lights, auto wipers and i even shut the display off. Go into settings and you can shut the display off. It stays off after exiting but it will turn back on if you re-enter the vehicle. At least that has been my experience.

We only travel a out 250 miles and not more than 5 hours so I don't know why the battery is acting the way it does. It has also been intermittent and does not happen every time.

I'll send an email to Ford and see what response I get.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #27

Wayne, did you ever get an email response from Ford on this matter? I just purchased a 2012 mkx and am setting it up for towing.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourdasouth View Post
Wayne, did you ever get an email response from Ford on this matter? I just purchased a 2012 mkx and am setting it up for towing.
Dang! Forgot to ask them. Here roundtuit, here roundtuit. I'll see if I can find a contact right now.

EDIT: Talking to Lincoln now. On hold. Question has stumped them. Hee hee!

Yep! Stumped. They will call me back on Monday. In the meantime the person thought that it would damage the drive train, since being in neutral shuts everything off. (???? on that) Stay tuned - ----