Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, no news it perfect news.

Got the call back from the lady I talked to Friday. She said that the technicians stated that the key-less had to be in the accessories position because when the transmission is in neutral the vehicle does not shut off.

Seriously? Yes she was serious. I questioned and questioned and questioned her on this but she never changed her mind, and on a couple occasions told me that the car had to be in neutral because you cannot tow it in park. See where I'm going with this.

I explained that following the instructions, letting the vehicle run for 5 minutes, then shifting to "D", then "R" and back to "N" and pushing the key-less button that the engine turned off, the instrument gauges turned off, and the navigation display turned off. Then pushing the key-less button again (into accessories mode) turned the instruments on and the navigation display on, and after 10 minutes they all turned off.

Same thing happens if you have the remote start. After ten minutes the engine and everything else turns off.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my service dealer and I have briefed him of the question. He said he is going to ask his service personnel.

For some reason, I don't believe what I was told. I really hope someone can come up with a specific reason. I for one know that everything visible shuts down when the key-less button is pushed with the transmission in neutral. What I don't know is if there are any hidden reasons.

That's not my story, but I'm sticking to it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
NWayne
Thanks for following up on this subject. We are really having a hard time figuring this one out. I have only had a couple days where I got to the camp ground with a charged battery in our MKX. The wife took it to a Ford Dealership recently just to have the battery checked out, due to so many discharges and they said everything was fine with the battery but they didn't have time to check for any parasitic draw in Acc mode.

We have the battery charge line hooked up that we purchased from RVI Brake and that isn't enough to keep the MKX battery charged up. I have hooked up external tail lights thinking going through the MKX tail lights might be causing the drain somehow but that doesn't help.

I tried towing without the RVI Brake system plugged in to see it that was causing the drain and that doesn't help.

It seems to be the MKX accessory mode is the draw down for us. I am only having any luck with leaving the MKX running while towing. I tried this on our drive to Quartzsite a couple days ago and by stopping every hour or so and starting the MKX & towing while running then stopping and putting in acc mode for the next 60 miles. Rotating between running and acc mode did get me here but not exactly the solution Anyone is looking for.

Anxious to read what you find out from your service tech, we are planning to follow up with our Lincoln dealer when we get home but that is going to be almost 2,500 miles and 3 weeks from now. Hoping to figure out a solution before then.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
The 2014 MKZ has another step to Select “Neutral Tow” mode – refer to Owner’s Manual
Does your 2013 have that part in the manual?

My 2014 MKS has after putting it in "N" part. To just turn engine off. Nothing about putting it in ACC mode.

I won't be towing my MKS for the first time until next April.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Triker,
No, there is not mention of "neutral tow" mode. I'll have to jump on out and read the manual for the '14 MKS.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #33

some guy in the rv park I am in said he bought a battery quick disconnect for $10 and has towed for years with out a problem. I would still start the car and cycle the transmission fluid at rest stops. Any problems with this approach?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #34
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tour,
What year model car do you have. I would be concerned that disconnecting the battery could have an effect on the computerized electronics in the car.

I returned from my service dealer and the two people there that may have had knowledge about this situation were both out.

The secretary said that one of the sales people could help me and when he came over i said, "I have a question on towing the 2013 MKX four down behind a motor home ." The look on his face was priceless and I looked back at the secretary and said, "Nope, he doesn't know."
Old 01-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by learjet1 View Post
Is anybody towing a 2013 MKX flat?
I am presently flat towing towing a 2013 MKX . All I do is put it in neutral and shut the engine off and go. They recommend that you tow no faster than 65 mph and no farther than 6 hrs at a time then turn the motor on and recirculate the trans fluid by shifting in drive and reverse. The only problem I had was not unplugging the brake buddy at night and leaving it in neutral and then having a dead battery in the morning. What I do now is whenever we stop for a break regardless of how long we have traded eg. 2 hrs or 6 hrs I start it up to recirculate the trans fluid and leave it running to charge the battery and after the break shut the engine off and back in neutral and we have no problems. I do not even notice it behind us .

Ken 2013 Tuscany ex 40 2013 MKX toad
Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Ken
When you turn the engine off, do you press the button a second time to put your MKX into acc. Mode?
Or do you tow with it actually in the OFF mode?

I can't last a single hour towing in the ACCESSORY mode without the MKX battery going dead.

Bob & Pearl
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
i tow mkt 2010 and just run gears in nuturl shut off start when we take a break
Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
Ken When you turn the engine off, do you press the button a second time to put your MKX into acc. Mode? Or do you tow with it actually in the OFF mode? I can't last a single hour towing in the ACCESSORY mode without the MKX battery going dead.
I just press the off button once but I do believe that the acc stays on because it is neutral . The only problem that I had was when I left it in neutral and the brake buddy pluged in overnight And I had a dead battery in the morning. Now I start and leave it running every time we take a break and lubricate the trans each time. Unplug the brake buddy at night and put it in park. This is also my first time and it tows great after working out that one bug. I have the light wired through with the MKX wiring using diodes I am not qualified to explain that but I do know if the right ones are not used you will have problems.If the battery is still not lasting until you take take a break then there is another issue going on.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The manual specifically states to put the vehicle in ACC mode. (press the button twice.) This is what some of us are not understanding. Apparently, if you are just shutting off the vehicle and it is working for you - something needs to be understood by me.

If you remote start the vehicle it will shut off after 10 minutes. If you put it in ACC, it shuts off after 10 minutes. Just looking for a reason why the manual states to put it in ACC mode.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The manual specifically states to put the vehicle in ACC mode. (press the button twice.) This is what some of us are not understanding. Apparently, if you are just shutting off the vehicle and it is working for you - something needs to be understood by me.

If you remote start the vehicle it will shut off after 10 minutes. If you put it in ACC, it shuts off after 10 minutes. Just looking for a reason why the manual states to put it in ACC mode.
X2

We just left Quartzsite AZ. And I was very tempted to simply press start button once (everything shuts down) but couldn't bring myself to do it. I pressed button again and dash says "accessory mode" and everything lights back up. I turn off climate and entertainment. Hook up my rvi aux brake and we are off

I will stop in an hour to check and run engine if it will start.

Bob & Pearl
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JRPA,
One other item I do is just before I put it in ACC mode I go to Settings, Display, and shut off the display. I don't know how much juice it takes, but I do turn it off.

Also, when i remember, I turn off the auto lights, and the auto wiper. Just in case.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne

Thanks for the last suggestion. We fueled up around noon and sure enough the battery was dead again. I jumped the MKX and towed it with the engine running for an hour to charge it up. When I stopped to shut the engine off and put in acc mode I followed your suggestion and shut down the information screen. We stopped after 4 hours and it had enough charge left in batteries to start the engine up.

I am anxious to try it out tomorrow and hopefully shutting down the information screen kills enough parasitic draw to allow the batteries to start getting me through a day of towing and still start the engine is on the toad.

Bob & Pearl