Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I still carry a 950 Amp jump box with me, just in case. Had a 650 Amp and it didn't do the trick first time I used it.

Regarding the quick disconnect, the manual states that if you disconnect the battery the vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics for about 5 miles or so.

==========================

Just spoke with my service adviser at the Lincoln place. He said he has queried all of his personnel and even the Master Technician cannot give a reason why the 2013 Lincoln MKX has to go into accessory mode.

I just went to the car and observed that if the engine is not running you cannot put it into neutral. I tried with the engine off, and then with just the accessory mode engaged and engine off. I started the engine and went through the routine of D, N, R, back to N. I shut the engine off, put it in accessory mode and I was able to shift through the gears about 4 times, but around the 4-5 time I went into park and tried to take it out of park it would not move.

The service adviser also stated that after 10 minutes in ACC mode the vehicle would shut everything off as part of the battery saver.

(From the manual)
"Battery Saver

If you leave the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or headlamps on, the
battery saver shuts them off 10 minutes after you switch the ignition off.

Accessory Mode Battery Saver for Intelligent Access Keys

If you shut off the engine and leave the ignition in the on or accessory
mode, the ignition will shut off after 30 minutes."
============

So, we have one poster that says they just put the ignition in neutral and OFF mode to tow.

If we can get a few more to do that and report back here, I'd be willing to give it a try.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #44
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have another call into Ford Customer Service. This time I actually got someone who knows about towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. He was intrigued by the question and asked if he could give me until end of business tomorrow to try and find an answer.

Stay tuned!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
That really sounds like you may be getting us an answer. I have some luck with turning the info screen off before going into ACC mode, but I am sure it will be more better if we can simply turn it OFF and end all the current draw. Looking forward to hearing what your recent contact has to say.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #46
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No call back today and no email. Have to wait until Monday now.

Funny thing, I have not towed since November and I have just been running around town so no drain on battery. Today we went out and when I stopped I pushed the keyless button one time to shut it off. Of course the accessories are supposed to keep running until you exit the car. After 10 minutes they will shut off automatically if you just sit in the car. Today, I pushed the button and a display came up that said it was shutting down the vehicle to save battery (words to that affect). Since I was on the road I stopped by the Lincoln dealership and 1 hour and some minutes later I was equipped with a new battery.

Who put the whammy on me?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen that same message several times also. The wife took it in in a layover in Elko and I thought the battery would be replaced due to being discharged numerous times but they said everything was fine with the battery and no excessive paracitic loads. But our MKX simply can't maintain a battery charge in ACC mode more than a couple of hours.

Something I just am not understanding, hoping your guy has some kind of helpful information. The battery was fine on our 2 hour leg yesterday and it is such a plesant surprise when it does start after towing. I think I will drop it off at the Lincoln dealership in Vegas when we get home so they can see just how fast it goes dead when in ACC mode.

Bob & Pearl
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, with that message and my dealer replacing the battery, I have not had the message reappear. There is a 4 or 5 year warranty on the car and it covered my battery, or maybe it's the maintenance agreement I have - don't know - but it didn't cost me anything.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #49

All batteries !!!!!

Just a quick note about batteries, my business is an European Automotive independent repair shop (MBZ, BMW, JAG, ROVER, Volvo), I've seen batteries test good before and after charging and load testing, and i mean several harsh load tests to its rated CCAs, but under certain circumstances batteries can short internally, we had an infiniti that wouldn't start at times, cranked over slowly, that spent time at a factory dealership and they said the battery was perfect, tested good, (an interstate brand, best battery to buy), we found under certain voltage consumption (uses) the battery would fail and cause a slow crank or clicking with out turning engine over to start (usually overnight), replaced and warrantied the battery (1.5 yrs old) for the customer, no further issues detected after 2 weeks of daily (short) driving intervals, now the ford products use a group 65, a battery that has its share of abnormal issues, i found out the Entegra charge wire is only powered when the coach engine is running, i have not run a wire to my MKXs battery yet but we have towed the MKX 6-7 hours several times and had no issues, I also place in accessory mode, I also go into the dash (nav) display screen and turn it off, hope this helps
Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep! MKX has a Group 65 @650 CA.

As I stated earlier and hope it helps others also is to turn the nav display off.

Typically when we travel we take a lunch break 2-3 hours after being on the road. I'll start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes then go through the procedures again and turn the display off. I did purchase a 950 ca portable charger/jumper that I carry with us.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #51

I just hit the button once . I do not want the acc on while driving .You will notice the N is still lite up. I do not have a problem running it the wheels turns freely and all is good. Make sure you put it in park at night. And run the motor at every time you take a stop and you should not have a problem.

Ken 2013 Tuscany 40 ex 2013 MKX toad
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Ken
I agree with you in that I don't want the ACC on either. But what gives you the confidence tow it in the OFF mode when the owners manual specifically says to tow it in the Accessory mode. I am concerned it may need power to some system while towing. Hopefully, Wayne will hear back from the technician he talked to recently and we get an answer from Lincoln on any necessity for using ACC and if no need we can all follow your lead and tow in the OFF mode and save the batteries from discharging.

Bob & Pearl
Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, no news is perfect news.

I heard back from Ford customer service. The rep. talked wit an engineer.

He said that the engineer stated that it is in the ACC position so it could shift into park. He also stated that some breaking systems when towing may need ACC power.

I do not use any accessories for my breaking system, AF-1, as it is directly tied into the battery. If a breaking system does need ACC, then depending on the frequency of stops the ACC may stay active based on the needs of the breaking system. Can anyone verify that the breaking system they use depends on the ACC mode?

Not a good answer at all. Here is what the rep agreed on when i stated some facts.

With the engine in the off position the shifter can be cycled through the gears but once placed in the Park position it cannot be shifted out of that gear. The same applies to the ACC position.

When in the ACC position the instruments will go off in 10 minutes, the ignition will shut off in 30 minutes. If the book states that the ignition will go off in 30 minutes consider a vehicle being towed with ACC needing to be turned on but the MH gets up on the freeway, cruises for a few hours and never having to use the exhaust break or breaks, then the ignition shuts off after 30 minutes.

In my case with AF-1 the CSR stated that there is no functional purpose that he knows of to place the vehicle in the ACC mode.

Okay, who besides Ken is going to try this in the OFF mode?

Ken, how many miles do you have towing in the OFF mode?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I am getting close to trying it but I am also anxious to hear how many miles Ken has towed his MKX in the OFF Mode. In reviewing his previous post he appears to have been towing his MKX since sometime last summer/fall so he may have quite a few miles with no issues.

I did go purchase a battery power supply like Wayne suggested (1200 cranking amps) and I had to use it last night when we got to our camp site; which is getting fairly old having a dead battery daily, but at least it is easy to hook up and start with the power pack.

I use the RVI2 aux brake system and it plugs into the cigarette lighter port and that port is live in the OFF mode which means it should work fine when or if I do decide to try towing in the OFF mode. I have to think about it a bit before I decide but I am anxious to hear Kens report on hours or miles of towing in OFF mode.

James

Bob & Pearl
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #55
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd like the report also.

Consider that your battery has been drained down so much that it may be at that state where it is bad and you would not know it unless you have it tested. Autozone will test it free, but if it is still under warranty, like mine was, any Lincoln dealer should test it and replace it. Worse case scenario is you have to buy a new battery.

My car started fine, but when the battery was tested it failed.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne, I think you hit the nail on the head. I was going to wait until we got back to Vegas but probably should take it in here in Seattle.

Bob & Pearl