Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Perfect. Thanks again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #72

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Hopefully we'll get some more recent experiences. I am monitoring this as I have just purchased a 2014 Edge. I never had a problem with my 2010 Escape although the key would not turn past the accessory position when shut off while in neutral, due to the steering wheel lock.
My new Edge manual is worded the same as previous posts but there is also a "note" that says "Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. See Climate Control chapter."
I would much prefer to just shut off the engine and not put it in Accessory.

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #73
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi John,

My 2013 MKX manual states the same thing. I have never put it in recirculated mode and I have never had any "smells" inside when I stopped and unhooked. I do use accessory mode, only because the book says so.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone!

Thanks Wayne and everyone else for documenting your MKX experiences! We're looking to purchase one in the next few months. Smittys will also get our business. Glad you were pleased with their work Wayne!

Michelle
Old 06-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #75
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tell Smitty you want the "Good Looking" discount like I got. (Not that he'll remember me.)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #76
BJH

Tiffin Owners Club
Edge v MKX-Z

Are the electronics the same on the 2014 Edge as 14 MKX or Z? Looking at replying my 07 Edge toad after 30k PERFECT tow miles. Reading posts gives me concern with perhaps the higher tech Lincoln brand but----
Old 06-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #77
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can download the manuals for both on-line and compare them. I think that would be the best way. For my 2013 I was told by my service writer that the only difference was the ride and less road noise with the MKX. Could have fooled me.

Edited: I haven't read it yet, but someone has save us the trouble. 2014 Edge vs. 2014 Linc. MKX

and another Comparison link

I just looked through the "comparison link" and pretty much the same for the MKX and the Edge Sport. You can plug in some other models besides the sport. I choose sport as it is pretty much in line price wise as the MKX.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #78
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm! On this trip I ended up with a non-starting vehicle 2 times. Clickity click click is all it would do. I plugged into the pedestal with the MH and then ran the battery charger to the TOAD. Finished hooking up and 15 minutes later started the vehicle. Ran it for 10 minutes.

Next morning got up, and on the way by the TOAD I started it and let it run. When I returned over 10 minutes later it was in the off mode. I started it and let it run another 5 minutes. Drove to the next destination and on the way, about 4 hours into the trip, I stopped to start it and let it run for 5 minutes. Clickity click click! Pulled into the CG and hooked the charger up again. This time I'm going to let it charge overnight.

I'm thinking that if you don't unhook and drive it, 5 minutes running the engine after a discharge just is not enough.

Any suggestions. (TOAD Charge, I know) Any others.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #79

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hmmm! On this trip I ended up with a non-starting vehicle 2 times. Clickity click click is all it would do. I plugged into the pedestal with the MH and then ran the battery charger to the TOAD. Finished hooking up and 15 minutes later started the vehicle. Ran it for 10 minutes.

Next morning got up, and on the way by the TOAD I started it and let it run. When I returned over 10 minutes later it was in the off mode. I started it and let it run another 5 minutes. Drove to the next destination and on the way, about 4 hours into the trip, I stopped to start it and let it run for 5 minutes. Clickity click click! Pulled into the CG and hooked the charger up again. This time I'm going to let it charge overnight.

I'm thinking that if you don't unhook and drive it, 5 minutes running the engine after a discharge just is not enough.

Any suggestions. (TOAD Charge, I know) Any others.
Wayne,

I just pop the negative cable off the battery terminal-takes 5 or 10 seconds. Never had a problem since I started doing this.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne
I think I remember that you had your battery replaced last year, but all of your symptoms sound just like mine before the dealer determined I had a dead cell in the MKX battery. I think that was in February but it totally resolved my problems. I do have a toad charger so that could be the difference, but I would recommend you have the battery checked.

Good Luck and please let us know what you end up doing as I just retired and have several trips planned and sure hope the MKX minds its manners and stays charged up.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #81

[QUOTE=Wayne M;2635735]Hmmm! On this trip I ended up with a non-starting vehicle 2 times. Clickity click click is all it would do. I plugged into the pedestal with the MH and then ran the battery charger to the TOAD. Finished hooking up and 15 minutes later started the vehicle. Ran it for 10 minutes.

Any suggestions. (TOAD Charge, I know) Any others.[/QUOT

The only problem that I have had is when I have left the brake buddy plugged in overnight and left it in N overnight. When I started to unplug the brake buddy and put in park for the night I had no problems. When i had that problem of it not starting (just once) then I started to start the MKX up every time we stopped regardless of how long we traveled keeping in mind no longer than 5 hrs and let it run while we were in getting coffee or a meal. We have not had a problem since.
Best of luck and good travels
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE
Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne install a charge line and the problem will be solved.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #83
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Wayne,

I just pop the negative cable off the battery terminal-takes 5 or 10 seconds. Never had a problem since I started doing this.
Hello Texas Boomer, hope you and Ms. M are doing fine. Have you had any adverse affect with the computer system when disconnecting the negative battery cable? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
Wayne
I think I remember that you had your battery replaced last year, but all of your symptoms sound just like mine before the dealer determined I had a dead cell in the MKX battery. I think that was in February but it totally resolved my problems. I do have a toad charger so that could be the difference, but I would recommend you have the battery checked.

Good Luck and please let us know what you end up doing as I just retired and have several trips planned and sure hope the MKX minds its manners and stays charged up.
I did have the battery replaced last year. I'm surprised that it would happen again so soon. I'll check into it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Wayne install a charge line and the problem will be solved.
I'm seriously considering that option. Any links you have on the product would be helpful.

[QUOTE=Ken ]The only problem that I have had is when I have left the brake buddy plugged in overnight and left it in N overnight. When I started to unplug the brake buddy and put in park for the night I had no problems. When i had that problem of it not starting (just once) then I started to start the MKX up every time we stopped regardless of how long we traveled keeping in mind no longer than 5 hrs and let it run while we were in getting coffee or a meal. We have not had a problem since.
Best of luck and good travels
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE[/QUOTE

Ken, DW has requested that we stop every two hours and stretch the legs and this last "leg" of the trip we did that and I would start the car, let it run for 5 minutes, then I would go through the shifting procedure and off we went. No problems starting it each time and at the end of the trip. I have left it in N overnight not thinking tha twould have any consequence but now that you mention it I think I'll revise that process.

I'm still going to try and talk to a Lincoln Engineer to find out why it has to be in the accessories position to tow.

Thanks all, and keep the information coming.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne there is a good thread with links to commercial products but I did my charg line by using a 20A resettable breaker fuse at both battery's and I used #12 wire, most say to use #10 but the largest I can. Find in the coil cable that goes from the coach to the toad comes with a#12 wire

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote