Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

2013 Lincoln MKX

Is anybody towing a 2013 MKX flat?

learjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The MKX is not listed on the Remco Towing site. I suggest you consult the owners manual for its abilities to be towed.

Ken

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The MKX is not listed on the Remco Towing site. I suggest you consult the owners manual for its abilities to be towed.

Ken
The 2012 model was listed in the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide. Both the MKX and the MKX AWD with the following restrictions:

"Stop every 6 hours and run the engine for 5 minutes to cool the transmission fluid."

...also, limited to 65 MPH.

So hopefully, the 2013 will be towable too?

2012 Dinghy Towing Guide attached below to this post.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012_dinghy_towing_guide.pdf (2.47 MB, 114 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Ok, quickly looked up the manual for the 2013 and the AWD is towable 4-down. Page 228 and 229 from the manual is attached to this post that gives the procedure.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 mkx owner manual p. 228-229.pdf (84.5 KB, 305 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the 2013 MH Mag towing guide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-988408437.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	34622

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Proceed with caution. Over the past year Ford has changed the towing restriction on some vehicles.

Ken
Old 06-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Greg,
It's been a few months since the OP. Did you go with the MKX and is all well in towing?

What base plate, etc., did you use?

Thanks.

Ken,
MKX's have been tow-able for 3 or 4 years now and I have not found any comments about problems on them.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #8

Wayne,
I'm towing my toyota on a dolly for know, still undecided weather I will flat tow the MKX.
Thanks,
Greg
learjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Greg,
I'm going to tow the MKX. I don't want to be around when the base plate is put on. The front end of the MKX has to come off.

The other day I had my Serious Radio uninstalled from the Saturn view. I was able to see the entire operations through a glass paned window. I thought I would have a heart attach. Funny thing is that back in the early 80's I did two way radio installs and cell phone installs. That was when the mobile phone and the new cell phone technology had a separate head controller and the unit was 3 times bigger than a cigar box and mounted in the trunk, or other places.

I'll report back after I have it done.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne
Taking the front end off the MKX is the easy part, that's only about a 10 minute job once you've done one. It's all the BIG holes you have to drill!. It only hurts for a little while, my buddy and I did my MKX in about 6 hours and we had no idea of what we were doing, Instead od cutting the lower grill Facia, I just left it out, looks like it was made that way.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,
I'm to old and mechanically unfit. Yes, I looked at the instructions for the big holes. Just another reason why I think I'll ask DW to follow me in her car and then take her to a mall shopping. (Oh! That could be more dangerous.)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had it done Friday. Decided to go alone and wait for it. I did not wander out into the shop to look at it while everything was being installed. Started working on it at 0900 and finished at 1430. Only 5-1/2 hours to install the base plate and AF One.

Work was done at Smitty's RV & Welding, 1500 Brittmore Road, Houston TX and I was again satisfied with their work. Great to work with.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay, reviving the thread. Towed the 2013 Lincoln MKX for the first time since having everything installed.

One of the items that we do before departing is to check the light system. Guess what, we forgot but I remember it about 2 miles down the road. We pulled into a vacant paring lot and Earlene got out and we went through the check list, brake lights, turn signals, running lights, tail lights, headlights, and all was well. Traveled 241 miles to our destination.

Pulled into the pull through site, leveled coach, extended slides, hooked up electrial, then time to unhook. Got in car and put it in park. Went through the unhitching process and one are was tight. Got back in car to put it in neutral and see if the pressure could be release and GUESS WHAT? It would not come out of park. It was locked tight. Oh no! What next.

A few phone calls and Lincoln roadside assistance dispatched a tow truck. Waiting for the truck I looked at the fuse section and as the tow truck pulled up and I explained what was going on I also mentioned there was a fuse #59 that was a brake on/off switch fuse.

To make this story short, the fuse was blown. Replacing the 10 amp fuse and the shifting was normal.

Now I'm curious as to why/what/how things blew the fuse. My one and only theory is: A diode system was used, so when the umbilical cord is attached, power is supplied to the lighting system via the wiring and diode, however, at the same time the brake pedal is activated and the TOAD normal braking system is also applying voltage to the tail lights. I'm thinking that there is to much current being drawn through the system and that is what blew the fuse.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Found the culprit!

Whenever the system was completely hooked up for towing the fuse would blow. I eliminated the light cable and that did not keep the fuse from blowing. Next was the return 12V line that indicates in the cab that the brake is being applied in the TOAD. It was what was causing the fuse to blow. I expect it was hooked up backward at the TOAD since it worked fine for 4 years on the Saturn.

I'l meter it out tomorrow to make sure, in the mean time I just left that indicator disconnected. That particular light that comes on in the cab is part of the AFO braking system and is only an indicator that the brake has been applied.