Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

2013 Smart car - Toad Brake, tail and turn signals

Greetings!! -
I'm about to install a Roadmaster Adapter on my 2013 Smart car. I'm going to ask the installer to do the wiring as well.

Roadmaster recommends a "stop switch" to be installed on the brake linkage. I'm not sure why this would be necessary - hopefully the toads lights with be driven by the MHs lights. I'm a it confused why you want it any other way.

Thank you for any words of wisdom on this.

Jerald Pendleton

jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
Greetings!! -
I'm about to install a Roadmaster Adapter on my 2013 Smart car. I'm going to ask the installer to do the wiring as well.

Roadmaster recommends a "stop switch" to be installed on the brake linkage. I'm not sure why this would be necessary - hopefully the toads lights with be driven by the MHs lights. I'm a it confused why you want it any other way.

Thank you for any words of wisdom on this.

Jerald Pendleton
you gotta follow the checklists in the owners manual to tow.
per the checklist, you must disconnect the toad battery.
the easiest way to do that is to install a battery disconnect switch that is available from Napa.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
you gotta follow the checklists in the owners manual to tow.
per the checklist, you must disconnect the toad battery.
the easiest way to do that is to install a battery disconnect switch that is available from Napa.
Absolutely. But I never do things the easy way. I've installed a remote controlled battery disconnect that will allow me to connect/disconnect the battery outside the car.

That is part of the reason I am confused by this "stop switch". It apparently operates the brake lights in response to a pedal push. I don't see a reason for it, if we are connected to the MH brake lights.

What I've been told is for Smart Car towing most states don't even require toad brakes (I live in a state that does - and I want it, if not else, for the break-away capability) and the Brake Buddy won't track the motorhome brake applications that closely.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jerald-

Is this the device that Roadmaster recommends?

Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems RM-88400

If so, the bottom of the page at the link above contains a section entitled "Is a Relay Required?" that explains why your car/installation might benefit from that device.

Mark
Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Jerald-

Is this the device that Roadmaster recommends?

Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems RM-88400

If so, the bottom of the page at the link above contains a section entitled "Is a Relay Required?" that explains why your car/installation might benefit from that device.

Mark
Its hard to say. This is the Roadmaster URL: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/751473.pdf
Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jerald-

I looked at documents on both Roadmaster's and etrailer's Web sites. The brake relay I mentioned in post #4 is not the same item to which you refer in post #5.

The purpose for the Stop Light Switch Kit is to equip the toad (Smartfortwo) to send a signal to the front of the motorhome, where it will light a light, telling you that the toad brake pedal has been depressed. That light confirms the braking system in the toad is working, above and beyond what you might feel through the seat of your pants (the ideal is that you don't know the toad is there, but sometimes you can feel the backwards pull as the toad brakes engage).

In the system I installed in our Honda Fit, we had an on/off switch. If we forgot to flip in "on" the toad brakes wouldn't be "armed" and the light in the dash wouldn't go on when I hit the motorhome's brake pedal. So, it was very useful to have the monitor light.

Figure 20 on Page 15 of the Roadmaster InvisiBrake installation manual has a diagram of the monitoring system.

Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com

By the way, I think the part number for the switch that matches your car is 751437, not 751473, which is what you sent in the previous post. A link to 751437 on etrailer's site is below. Reading Roadmaster's chart, the other one is for a Volkswagen Golf.

Mark

Roadmaster Stop Light Switch Kit Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems RM-751437
Old 09-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Jerald-

...The purpose for the Stop Light Switch Kit is to equip the toad (Smartfortwo) to send a signal to the front of the motorhome, where it will light a light, telling you that the toad brake pedal has been depressed....
Ah, Thank you! That explains it.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
depending on the brake buddy you have...
ours BB will stop with inertia as well as a signal from the motorhome...

My concern with 4 down towing the smartcar (other than it's too small for us) is the low angle of the hitch from the motorhome and the downward pressure of the hitch not being 'level'

and, it will probably be pelted with debris being that low.

heck on 'clean' interstates without the protect-a-tow, our Jeep will have sand and grit on the flat front bumper area...

Tags
brake, toad