Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
2013 Unlimited Owners Happy or Not?

I am looking at trading my DW car for a 2013 wrangler unlimited to use for our toad and her driver. We are currently using my grand cherokee and it has been great.
Were looking for a bit more adventurous and fun toad. I know the fuel mileage sucks but besides that are you guys happy with them?

Thanks Eric

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

I don't have an Unlimited but a 2door Artic and get 20 mpg on average on local driving. I consider that good mileage for what it is. But keep in mind, it's not a Grand Cherokee, it's not a SUV, it's not a car, it's a Wrangler. It will probably leak, it will ride terrible compared to a regular SUV, it will handle different, it will rattle and squeak, but it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. It's kinda like a Harley, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I recently purchased a 2013 4 door Wrangler. I too came out of a Grand Cherokee...I don't miss it one bit. I love the Wrangler and have no issues with it at all...of course I've only put 2500 miles on it so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1027121619.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	857.8 KB
ID:	36030  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the info Guys, i will probably be keeping my Cherokee also.
Say Tyler thats the same color and model we plan to get tomorrow. My coach has a burgundy stripe that will tie it in.
What mileage are you seeing so far out of yours? This will be my wifes driver.

Thanks and anything else I might need to know pass it along.

Eric
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Well Eric, mileage is awful. I'm seeing 12 in town and about 17 on the hiway. That said, I understand that it should improve with more miles. My typical use right now is only a couple miles per day in town. It seldom even gets fully warm.

In all honesty, I don't see any draw-backs to this rig at this point. It's comfortable to drive. Has plenty of power and is relatively quiet going down the road. No complaints here at all.

On a side note, Today I took off the front tops for the first time. I'm pleased to say that it was easy off, easy back on.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport. My sister has an 06 UL. They are grand, and both equally capable.
No squeeks or rattles.
My 12 has the later drive train and wonderful suspension.
I get 19 city, 22 hwy. about 15 off-road.
I dreamed of it for many years!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Wow that 12/17 is rough, my old Cherokee avg 16/21 or so

Eric
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Been driving my 2013 Wrangler Sport Unlimited for a week now and we are very happy with it. We had a 2009 Wrangler with a softtop. This new vehicle is so much quieter and rides so much better and of course has so much more room, I wish I had changed sooner. They have made a lot of changes since 2009.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door

Hello,

WE have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with 85,000 miles, and it's fantastic, driving from Michigan to Arizona we averaged 21.5 mpg on the 3.8 V6, the reason we went with the 4-door was for the longer wheelbase to smooth out the ride and I love driving this Jeep, the DW does as well, and its so easy to tow. I am just waiting to go desert wrangling with it later this year. That being said you have to remember that the Jeep is a truck of sorts and it will get mileage simular to a truck. But, the cons of this as a toad are far outweighed by the pros.

It's a Jeep Thing.............

Oh ours is the same color as tylerdmoore's as well, its actually called red by my Jeep dealer
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #10

Were still trying to deal, the deal we had in writing they wont make us the next day after thinking it over. So we are hunting a new dealer, problem is no one has the build we are looking for.
thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're on our second Wrangler unlimited, after a 20 something totalled our '07 while I was stopped at a red light. Our '07 was a Rubicon and I still got 18 mpg with it consistantly over the 80K miles we drove it. When we first took delivery of our '12 we got between 22 & 24mpg but I hated the lack of performance with the whimpy 3.21 gears (I needed wheels NOW, after the last one got totalled, and of course couldn't find what I would have ordered, had I the opportunity to do so, and I never thought to check the rear end ratios before purchase). It surely would have struggled to tow our boat. I had the gears changed out to 4.10s, the same as we had in the Rubicon, and we'll now average around 20 with an occasional run up to 22mpg.

These definitely are not your grandpa's Jeep. With A/C, power windows, built in GPS and more, it's just a bit more civilized than any of our pre-Wrangler rides ('46 CJ 2A, '60 CJ5, '67 CJ5 or '76 CJ7)
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Thanks J for the info on the mileage and gears, I am actually trying to get the 3.21 gears. My wife is trading in her Fusion which gets great mileage and this will be her driver. Maybe the 3.73's would be ok from what your saying.

Eric
Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green D View Post
Thanks J for the info on the mileage and gears, I am actually trying to get the 3.21 gears. My wife is trading in her Fusion which gets great mileage and this will be her driver. Maybe the 3.73's would be ok from what your saying.

Eric
If 90% of my driving was in Kansas, maybe the 3.21 gears would have been OK, although with the boat, maybe not.

An automatic trans (ours is a stick) will also make a bit of a positive difference. If the 3.73 is an option, I think that would be perfect for an automatic.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

Had a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited and it was a great toad and vehicle except for the performance. Bought a 2012 COD with the new engine and this took care of the performance issue I had with the 3.8L. No steering lock on the newer ones, so do not have to disconnect battery. Jeeps are great and a great toad.