Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

2014 acadia toad questions?

I have finally gotten my 2014 Acadia back from Camping World for the install of my tow plate. CW also installed signal and brake lights using diodes. That was their recommendation. I also requested that they install a trickle charger for my battery but I only had a four prong lead from my MH and they were going to have to run a lead to my MH batteries. They told me I wouldn't need it if I pulled the three fuses and it would be cheaper to install fuse switches.

Be that as it may, since I have gotten it back I have tested the following:

1. I pulled the BATT1 fuse, ECM fuse and OnStar fuse. The plug for my RVibrake2 was hot so pulling the BATT1 fuse did not disable the power for my auxiliary braking system.

2. I switched the ignition from OFF to ACC. Several lights came on and there was some whirling noises.

3. I then turned the key one click counter-clockwise toward Off but still in ACC. All of the lights went off and the whirling noises stopped. The headlights did come on but that was the only apparent electrical being engaged.

4. I pressed on the brake and switched the transmission from Park to Neutral. I was able to barely turn the wheels from right to left (power steering resistance).

5. I then left the Acadia in this mode for about two hours. After about the first 5 minutes the headlights went off and did not come back on.

6. After two hours I stepped on the brake, placed the transmission in Park and turned the ignition to OFF.

7. I then reinstalled the BATT1 fuse, ECM fuse and OnStar fuse. I then started the Acadia.

8. The check engine light did come on, however, it turned itself off after starting the car a few times and waiting about an hour. I also had to reset the date and time but everything else appears to have retained their previous settings.

I am leaving on a trip to Florida in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure there are no surprises on the way down. I will probably plan a short trip with my toad next weekend to make sure the signal lights are working and the auxiliary brake works.

For those of you who have been towing with a late model Acadia, am I missing anything? I am taking along a set of jumper cables just in case the GM recommendation in my 2014 Owners Manual for not draining your battery while towing is bogus! Thanks in advance for any help.
Lambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4. I pressed on the brake and switched the transmission from Park to Neutral. I was able to barely turn the wheels from right to left (power steering resistance).

Seems strange to me to go from park to neutral with the engine off.

Is that the recommended procedure?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Here is the procedure copied from the 2014 Acadia Owners Manual:
To tow the vehicle from the front
with all four wheels on the ground:

1. Position the vehicle to be towed,
shift the transmission to
P (Park), and turn the ignition to
LOCK/OFF.

2. Secure the vehicle to the towing
vehicle.

3. Set the parking brake.

4. Turn the ignition to ACC/
ACCESSORY.

5. Shift the transmission to
N (Neutral).

6. To prevent the battery from
draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove the 15 amp
ECM fuse and the 15 amp
Onstar fuse. These are in the
battery compartment behind the
passenger seat on the floor.
Also, remove the 50 amp BATT1
fuse from the underhood fuse
block and store all fuses in a
safe location. See
7. Release the parking brake.

I don't think I am missing anything.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We now have a "Law" that my wife goes back to the toad as I drive forward and she makes sure ALL 4 wheels are turning.

Pulled it in a campground with it in park one time about five feet.

Hope some people with an Acadia chime in.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

What you are doing is correct. Three fuses. What I learned on my 2010 Enclave which requires only two fuses is to pull the fuses and re install them in a way that the ECM fuse can find electricity going out or in. If it can't find it the error messages will start. This means that on hook up (tow) pull the ECM, on star and then the Batt1. On un hook (drive) install Batt 1 then ECM and on star. My local Buick dealer told me this.

On my Enclave all the fuses involved in towing are under the hood and I have Blue Ox fuse by pass switches to do the dirty work. All I have to remember is which to turn on or off first.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Arch - I had a plane for several years and I always worried about landing with the gear up. It's not if its going to happen, it's when. Thanks for the advice and I will always try to make sure the "gear" is always down.

RonLC - I did not pull the fuses as you suggested and that may be why the check engine light came on. I am going to follow your advice the next time I pull fuses and see what happens. I have ordered a BATT1 bypass switch and dual ECM and OnStar bypass switch which works with one toggle switch. Hopefully by toggling the battery compartment switches first and then the BATT1 toggle switch I can avoid the check engine light coming on. I will use the reverse order when turning them back on. Lot of work and research to get road worthy!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a 2014 Acadia setup with the Roadmaster Invisibrake and a fuse switch. The only fuse that is switched is the BATT1 in the engine compartment - I don't pull any other fuses. I have towed the car for over 4000 miles this year and never had a problem.

Also I didn't like the idea of leaving my car keys in the ignition, so I had a valet key cut which cost about $4 - it doesn't have a transponder in the key you can't start the car, but it will unlock the steering lock. I use this key when towing and lock the car with my key fob prior to switching the fuse.
MrCosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCosio View Post
I tow a 2014 Acadia setup with the Roadmaster Invisibrake and a fuse switch. The only fuse that is switched is the BATT1 in the engine compartment - I don't pull any other fuses. I have towed the car for over 4000 miles this year and never had a problem.

Also I didn't like the idea of leaving my car keys in the ignition, so I had a valet key cut which cost about $4 - it doesn't have a transponder in the key you can't start the car, but it will unlock the steering lock. I use this key when towing and lock the car with my key fob prior to switching the fuse.
Do you have a charge line on your battery? I went ahead and installed two fuse switches, one for BATTI and another for EMC and ONSTAR off the battery. If I turn off the EMC/ONSTAR fuse first and then the BATT1 fuse while towing and then do the opposite when setting back up to drive I only lose the date and time and the check engine light does not come on.

I am headed to Florida Thursday for my first long trip and I am interested to see how my battery holds up. If I can tow without having to switch off the EMC/ONSTAR fuses it would be more convenient. I will give it a try. Valet key is a great idea. I will get that done when I get back.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCosio View Post
Our factory valet keys will start and let the car run a maximum. The only thing they won't do is open the locked trunk in the Civic or the glove box and storage bin in the Odyssey.
Some years ago I had the local Honda dealer use a "practice key" blank and make a non-transponder key that I use in the Ody.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
For reference a key blank without a transponder for a 2007-2016 GMC Acadia on the Ilco Key site is 'Service Key B106-P'. I got mine cut at my local Ace Hardware for a couple of bucks.

Tags
toad