Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With all your help, I think I've got a plan. Instead of using my Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar, I purchased a used Blue Ox Aventa II this morning. It came with 4 of the removable tabs, a Blue Ox lock set, safety cables and a 7 pin coiled electrical cable. I have an appointment to get the base plate, wiring kit and charge line installed. One more quick question, the Aventa II looks to be in excellent condition and both arms extend and lock properly but when spreading the arms to the right and left it took a little more force than I thought it should. Looking at the nylon washers/spacers, they appear to be intact and new looking. The owner said it's been like that since new. Is this something that needs attention?

Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #16

Sounds like mine... Does take some strength to move the arms but then again, you don't want it sloppy. Once connected, that connection shouldn't move.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Sounds like mine... Does take some strength to move the arms
I was hoping it was not unusual. And I was comparing it to my well used Falcon 2. Thank you
Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With all your help, I made some progress today. I had the Blue Ox base plate, a charge line and a wiring/Lights kit installed. Although I've done 3 Roadmaster installs myself, I'm glad I had someone else do this one. The place that did the work is one of four authorized dealers in Jacksonville Florida. With that said, even though we had agreed to install the external bulb kit, he strongly recommended and I reluctantly agreed to go with the diodes. We did not install the extra relay that I've read about. For the charge line, he looked perplexed when he looked at the battery setup under the hood. So was I. The battery has a cover and some other gizmo mounted on top of it. I looked in the book and it said the terminal with red cap on it at the fuse block was the + remote terminal and the negative remote terminal is located a little closer to the firewall clamped to a brake line or something. It's not a very large terminal. He wired the the positive charge line to the 80 amp fusable link attached to outside of the fuse block and the negative connection to a terminal you could see on the battery. There is a inline 30 amp self resetting circuit breaker on the positive line. While doing all this the ratchet he was using touched the positive to ground and arched and sparked for a moment. When he got done, I didn't have any power steering. Checking fuses and that 80 amp fusable link found the link had blown. I took his truck and went to the Chevy dealer to get a replacement. They did not have one and neither did any of the half dozen Chevy dealers in Jacksonville. The part is specific to the 2014. I ordered one and purchased the one for earlier models which is more than double the correct physical size. I took it back to the hitch shop and we wired it in place as a temporary measure to get me out of there. I don't think he ever did an Equinox with a Blue Ox before. He ended up with about 6 hours of labor total in the job and he bumped me on price too. Still cheaper than Camping World but I don't like being bumped. Sorry for the long post but I'm probably going to get a spare 80 amp fusable link to have a spare if they're that hard to locate.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Bob if you have a toad brake that mashes or activates the toad brake pedel and the brake lights come on with the ignition switch in tow mode you will need a brake light relay or a brakelight bypass switch or your brake lights will cover up your turn signal.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Bob if you have a toad brake that mashes or activates the toad brake pedel and the brake lights come on with the ignition switch in tow mode you will need a brake light relay
I use a Brake Buddy so I need the relay or switch.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been thinking about that brake relay. Right now I don't think it's a big issue. If I understand the problem....When the Brake Buddy presses the brake pedal it turns on the brake lights and if a turn signal was sent by the motorhome it would not be visible because of the brake lights. My Brake Buddy is set to activate only if I really get on the brakes. The chance that I'd have a turn signal on when hard braking is slim and it would be momentary. Least that's the way it seems to me.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #22
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Been thinking about that brake relay. Right now I don't think it's a big issue. If I understand the problem....When the Brake Buddy presses the brake pedal it turns on the brake lights and if a turn signal was sent by the motorhome it would not be visible because of the brake lights. My Brake Buddy is set to activate only if I really get on the brakes. The chance that I'd have a turn signal on when hard braking is slim and it would be momentary. Least that's the way it seems to me.
I was going to install a relay in our 2013 Equinox, but I discovered the computer turns off the car's brake lights after 10 minutes. Therefore, there would only be potential interference between the brake lights and turn signals for the first 10 minutes of driving. After that, the brake lights are powered by the motorhome as they should be.

You can test this by setting up your Brake Buddy in the car as you would for towing (the car doesn't even have to be hooked up to the motorhome) and turning the car's ignition switch to ACC as you would for towing. Close the car door and wait 10 minutes. Then pull the pin from the breakaway switch so the Brake Buddy actuates the car's brake pedal. The car's brake lights should not be on. If they are, either you didn't wait long enough or Chevrolet has changed the wiring for 2014.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
You can test this by setting up your Brake Buddy in the car as you would for towing (the car doesn't even have to be hooked up to the motorhome) and turning the car's ignition switch to ACC as you would for towing. Close the car door and wait 10 minutes. Then pull the pin from the breakaway switch so the Brake Buddy actuates the car's brake pedal. The car's brake lights should not be on. If they are, either you didn't wait long enough or Chevrolet has changed the wiring for 2014.
GM must have changed something. I just tried the test you suggested, with fuse 32 in and fuse 32 out. To put the shifter in neutral I had to go past the ACC position, put the shifter in N, then come back to ACC. I waited more than 10 minutes in both cases and pressed the test button on the BB through the open window. Brake lights came on. With fuse 32 pulled I expected the from 12V outlet to go dead as mentioned in some other posts, but it didn't.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I need to do the test again with the fuse pulled. I was pulling fuse 31 instead of 32. I've always made an occasional mistake but lately I've been a real klutz.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
paz, you were right on the money. After 10 minutes with the correct "fuse" pulled, the brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is depressed. The 12V outlets in the front are also dead. The 12V outlet in the back cargo area remains hot. Thanks for the education. Bob
Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #26
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
paz, you were right on the money. After 10 minutes with the correct "fuse" pulled, the brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is depressed. The 12V outlets in the front are also dead. The 12V outlet in the back cargo area remains hot. Thanks for the education. Bob
I puzzled over that situation for hours when I was trying to see if the brake lights interfered with the turn signals. Sometimes the brake lights came on and sometimes they didn't. I finally figured out it all depended on how long it had been since I last closed the car door. I'm glad I was able to help.

You are correct that the 12V outlet in the back is the only one that stays hot. I installed a new outlet under the dash that stays hot all the time. There are a couple of blank fuse holders in the fuse panel on the passenger side. I tapped into the hot side of one of those and installed a 15-amp inline fuse for the outlet. In addition to providing power for the toad brake, we can also use the outlet to charge the phone if we need to even when the car is parked.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for everyone's help, especially Dennis and Paz (Paul). I towed it for the first time today and it pulled OK except I noticed the car did not seem centered directly behind the motorhome. I'm going to start a new topic to ask for possible causes. Thanks again for getting me this far.

Tags
chevy