Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

2014 Chevy Equinox - Brake Light Relay

I have a 2014 Equinox, with the Blue Ox base plate, tow bar and Patriot brake. After following the etrailer.com and Roadmaster instructions on whether I need a brake light relay (both told me different things), I found that the etrailer.com instructions were right - I need the relay.

I hooked up the car to the MH, turned on the turn signal, and had my wife press the brake pedal. The brake light definitely overrides the turn signals coming from the MH.

That said, for the 2010-14 Equinox toad owners out there, do you know where the brake light switch is, and what it looks like? I can't find much out there that shows you the location and an illustration of what I'm looking for.

Also, do you think it's risky for me to try installing the relay on my own? I'm half-way handy, and am not too afraid of 12 volt electricity, but this car is brand new, and the last thing I want to do is to fry my electrical system. Does anyone live in the Detroit area, and if so, can you tell me where I could get this installed without breaking my bank account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx,
T_Van

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

The only time the turn signals will be over ridden is when the Patriot brake engages. That will only be for a brief instance to apply the brakes, then it releases the brake pedal. When you are stopped the Patriot is not engaged and the turn signals work as they should. I mention this because I considered a relay on a my new CRV with an RV2 brake, but decided against messing with any of the electrical part of the new car. The only thing I did was run a charge line from the MH to the car.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

bearaboo,

I was considering that too. When you're driving and changing lanes, the brake isn't engaging, and the turn signal is visible.

Thanks for responding!
T_Van
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Van i have the same problem with our Roadmaster Brakemaster and i am using a light bar that inserts into my 2 inch trailer tow reciever, or you could go with one of the wireless light bars but i would not trust the brake lights covering up my turn signils i think that sets youup for a problem. The brake switch is under the dash next to the brake pedel arm on most cars
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Gents,
What you're not seeing (so to speak) is the fact that, if I understand the OPs thread correctly and, the manor in which his toad's lights are wired to the M/H, is the fact that if he's utilizing the stock tail lights on the toad, as toad lights when towing.

If that's the case, then yes, I've tried to explain this to a zillion RVers out there for decades that, if, you use your toads lights at "toad" lights when towing, and, your toads BRAKE LIGHTS come on with or, without the key on, (some toads have to have the key in certain positions for unlocking the steering wheel which, also turns certain circuits on too) (Some don't turn anything on while unlocking the steering wheel) that there will be "conflict" of signals in certain operations.

Now, for those of you that might be saying "Huh, what the he.. are you talking about"?? I'll try and explain without printing a novel here.

If, you tie into the toads tail lights for towing lights, and, you use an auxiliary braking device i.e. Ready Brake, etc., that will activate the toads brake lights, and, your sending a "turn signal" from the coach, what you CAN have is, TWO DIFFERENT SIGNALS TO THE SAME FILAMENT!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, there's all kinds of remedies for this.

1. Drill the housings and add your own sockets and bulbs, which, has its own set of issues that you may, or may not realize.
2. Use a "Light bar" that you stick I the toads receiver which, is a pain in the a.. for storing and, to me, it's kind of low for good observation from a following driver, but that's just an opinion.
2. Magnetic lights, which, now you've got wires all over the place that some have stated have permanently scratched their toads paint
3. Some have tried "Wireless lights" which, I cannot comment on because I have no real experience with.

There are a couple of remedies for the OPs issue. The way I remedied it on my '04 Jeep Rubicon as a toad was, install a two way toggle switch in the door jamb of the Jeep. Cut the wire from the output side of the Jeeps brake light switch and send it to the center post of the toggle switch.

Then, run a wire from one side of the toggle switch, through the umbilical, to the dash of the coach. Then, run another wire from the last place on the toggle back to the cut wire on the Jeep. Now, when towing, I flip the switch to the forward position which, sends the brake light signal from the Jeeps brake light switch, to the dash of the M/H. But, when driving it, I flip the switch to the rear, which sends the jeeps brake light signal to the jeeps tail lights, just like normal. DONE!

I've heard of relays that can handle that complete operation but, I'm not smart enough to know how to install those. So, the toggle was the easy way out for me and, it only took about a half a day to set it up. Good luck on what ever you choose to remedy your issue OP.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
"1. Drill the housings and add your own sockets and bulbs, which, has its own set of issues that you may, or may not realize."

What issues? This is the way that the dealer hooked me up when they installed our baseplate. Are there problems I should be expected?
TarpinHill Jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you use a suplement breaking sys the brake lights can override the bulbs light that was added or if you are using diodes read the past below.

Are you using a supplemental braking system that depresses the brake pedal in your towed car?

No - You do not need a brake light relay.
Yes - You may need a brake light relay. Continue on to the next question.

Do the brake lights on your towed car illuminate while the engine is off?

No - You do not need a brake light relay.
Yes - You may need a brake light relay. Continue on to the next question.

Do your towed car's brake lights act as both the brake signals and the turn signals?

No - You may need a brake light relay. Continue on to the next question.
Yes - Your towed vehicle has a combined lighting system. You will need a brake light relay to ensure proper activation of its signal lights.

Does your towed car have separate brake lights and turn signals?

No - Your towed vehicle has a combined lighting system. You will need a brake light relay.
Yes - Your towed vehicle has a separate lighting system. You may need a brake light relay. Continue on to the next question.

Are you wiring your vehicle with a six-diode kit or a TowDaddy custom wiring harness?

No - You will need a brake light relay to ensure proper activation of your towed car's signal lights.
Yes - You do not need a brake light relay.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarpinHill Jct View Post
"1. Drill the housings and add your own sockets and bulbs, which, has its own set of issues that you may, or may not realize."

What issues? This is the way that the dealer hooked me up when they installed our baseplate. Are there problems I should be expected?
Ed,
As you can see, there's numerous ways of displaying lighting on the back of a toad. Some like doing it one way, while others use different methods and styles.

The "Issue(s)" I mean when installing additional sockets and bulbs are to some, not a big deal but, to others, it is a big deal. What mean by at least one issue is, you have two bulbs, most of the time, very close in proximity to each other, in the same housing, with no separation in between them. You have the factory ones and, the ones you've added as toad lights.

Now, if you are utilizing a toad braking system, which can be any one of several, it applies the brake pedal correct? Well, in many toads, the brake lights come on, even when the key/ignition is off. Now, what you've got back there is brake lights correct? But, if you've installed a separate bulb and, you send it a turn signal from the coach, you've got a blinking bulb back there, telling someone behind you that you're signaling correct?

But, now apply the brakes in the motor home which also applies the brakes in the toad too and now what do you have, a turn signal flashing, very close to a brake light bulb at full brightness. So, you have both, in the same housing, displaying two different signals. If you were following YOU, which one would you see?

Now, some folks who've installed the separate sockets and bulbs DO have a partition inside that housing. And, that's good because the signals, both brake and turn, don't conflict with each other, using the same reflectors behind them. But, if both bulbs are using the same reflector and, one is flashing and one is solid, then?

This is why I've tapped into the factory wiring for 11 different toads, in over 30 years of RVing and camping. I've not had one issue with any toad over that time frame. And, all my toads lights, act the same way when being towed, as the do when I'm driving them. And that includes the third brake light and, amber turn signals on the toads, if they had those. Hope I've explained it so you see what I mean.
Scott
Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

Fire Up said: "What you're not seeing (so to speak) is the fact that, if I understand the OPs thread correctly and, the manor in which his toad's lights are wired to the M/H, is the fact that if he's utilizing the stock tail lights on the toad, as toad lights when towin."

You understand correctly - this is my situation. I had the base plate and the wiring (with 4 diodes) installed at Camping World (when they had their $29 install deal going just after Christmas). I hadn't had the chance to test any of this because the weather didn't cooperate, so I'm just finding this out now.

Walt2137: I found that exact test on etrailer.com, and they were right. Oddly enough, when I called Camping World, they said the opposite - that I didn't need the brake light relay. So the only way of knowing was to test it, and sure enough, I needed one.

The lights are already wired at this point. I can either attempt to wire the relay myself, or have someone do it. Has anyone actually done the relay install, and if so, what can you tell me about the difficulty level?

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

T_Van
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Van i think that Scott has the simplest and easiest answer and to the brake light problem, i think i will use his idea next time. Yes that past came from E trailer.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,

Thanks for the explanation. Gives me things to think about.

One last question, you said, "Then, run a wire from one side of the toggle switch, through the umbilical, to the dash of the coach."

Where to the "dash of the coach"?

Thanks
Ed
TarpinHill Jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarpinHill Jct View Post
Scott,

Thanks for the explanation. Gives me things to think about.

One last question, you said, "Then, run a wire from one side of the toggle switch, through the umbilical, to the dash of the coach."

Where to the "dash of the coach"?

Thanks
Ed
Ed,
I installed a small LED on the dash of our previous coach, a '99 Bounder. That `LED can go anywhere it will fit and not distract you but, still be noticed when your toad brakes are being applied. That told me that the brakes on one of our previous toads, an '04 Jeep Rubicon, were being applied. But, like stated, when the switch was flipped in the other direction, that signal from the Jeeps brake light switch, was sent to the Jeeps tail lights, like it does normally. Hope that clears things up. It really doesn't take all that long to set this system up.
Scott

Tags
brake, chevy