Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

2014 Chevy Traverse Flat Towing

Every time i tow my 2014 travese when i disconnect and start it up it gives me a check engine light.
Now i have a swicth on the batt 1 fuse so all i do is flip it when i tow and then flip it back before i start the car. When it starts check engine light comes on.
Now i know it goes away after a few starts and miles but whats making it trip the check engine light?

Thanks
Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My 2007 Acadia does that too sometimes. A Check Light is not necessarily serious and often represents merely a suspected problem with emissions or whatever.

I can think of a couple possible things:
1.Low battery voltage (it thinks the alternator quit working)
2.Wheel speed anomalies detected by the ABS and Stabil-trak system. Normally the ECM/BCM would handle these, but it's not operating while towing
3.Gas tank vapor recovery not working while under tow
4.Any other situation the BCM/ECM detected but could not correct because a major chunk of its system is missing (that big fuse we deactivate).

Any GM dealer could read out the error code that was stored when the Check light went on, but it's probably not anything that needs fixing. It's just stuff outside the norm that happens because you are towing with engine off and part of the electronics disabled. The ECM/BCM turns off the Check light itself after x number of start.stop cycles with no further problems of the same type. It too recognizes that it was just a transient report and not a issue.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can go to O'Reilly's and they will read the code for free.

I suspect your car dealer would read the code too under warranty.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Our 2014 Acadia did the same thing, but only on longer trips. Light went off after a couple few days.

Check engine light has not come on for day trips (less than 8 hours of towing).
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure if it changed for 2014 but the 2013 Motorhome Magazine towing guide says,
Remove 15-amp ECM and OnStar fuses, and 50-amp BATT1 fuse.
someplace I read there is a right and wrong order to pull the fuses and replace them but I don't remember what that order is.

we have a 2010 Buick Enclave and I only pull the 50 amp BATT1 and the 15 amp ECM
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Southw2…I just had my 2014 Traverse set up to tow and the first tow home, I got the check engine light, but it went away after the 2nd cycle of start-up. The next day I towed it just over 200 miles, and when I unhooked, I had the check engine light again. But this time the transmission wasn't working properly, as in the car would not go forward or reverse very fast. We had OnStar run a diagnostic on it and they showed error codes on the engine and transmission. Fortunately I was next door to a Chevrolet Dealership and limped it over there. They fixed it pretty quickly, by resetting the computer. They just said that disconnecting the Batt1 fuse, confused the computer. Have you had any further issues with yours? I don't have a real root cause or solution at this point.
John219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John219 View Post
Southw2I just had my 2014 Traverse set up to tow and the first tow home, I got the check engine light, but it went away after the 2nd cycle of start-up. The next day I towed it just over 200 miles, and when I unhooked, I had the check engine light again. But this time the transmission wasn't working properly, as in the car would not go forward or reverse very fast. We had OnStar run a diagnostic on it and they showed error codes on the engine and transmission. Fortunately I was next door to a Chevrolet Dealership and limped it over there. They fixed it pretty quickly, by resetting the computer. They just said that disconnecting the Batt1 fuse, confused the computer. Have you had any further issues with yours? I don't have a real root cause or solution at this point.
I only get the check engine light but no performace issues. I just start and stop the car a few times to reset the check engine light.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I had to purchase a new Toad after my faithful 2008 odyssey had the tow package pull off her front ( I've been told it was probably a wrong bar and jacked up install) I tried a 2012 odyssey would work (NO IITWONT ) so went with 2014 traverse. Talk about frustrating. First time I toad it for long day check engine light plus anti traction light and wouldn't come out of park. Eventually lights went off but had to AAA it to garage. They had it for 2 days said was a fluke the shifting sensor died. So besides pulling the fuses (we paid 500 more to get bypass switches installed) so in a weeks time I've had to call a wrecker twice call garages, know on first name basis with 3 different service tech in 3 states. Husband a rabid dog. Luckily I can usually figure out problem. My question is does this Traverse get easier or do you just put up with bull? Is anyone as frustrated as I am?
Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #9

I have towed my 2014 traverse for a year now and the only problem i have is with the check engine light which goes off eventually after miles or mulitple starts.
I also have a switch but when i do it in the wrong order the check engine light goes on.

Ted
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

What if you have a charge line from the coach and don't remove any fuses? Works for me with a Jap vehicle.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have any of you with the check engine light ever had the code read?

If so what CEL code are you seeing?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #12

I had a problem with my 2014 Traverse initially when I towed it. My problem seemed to be caused by the battery going dead. The dealership reset it and it worked fine. They said it seemed to be a fluke and confused the computer. I have the 'Invisibrake' system and it charges as you tow. But Camping World had installed it incorrectly. I had it reinstalled elsewhere and it works great now. I have not had any engine warning lights or any other problems since then. My Traverse tows flawlessly. I use the switches in stead of pulling fuses. I do the one under the hood first, then the one in the back seat by the battery second.

John219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow, chevy