Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2014 CRV lights

We are having our 2014 CRV set up for flat towing. The dealer suggests using diodes. I understand the theory of how the diodes work. But how will it work in the CRV? The brake and other lighting signals from the motorhome will take priority over the CRV's lights? I guess the brake lights are the main issue because with having the key on to tow , the brake lights come on when the aux brake pushes the pedal. I have a Blue Ox Patriot brake.

Thanks,
Craig and Joan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have a 2014 CR-V wired with diodes and everything works fine; I'm not sure why you think the CR-V is different from other vehicles that are wired this way. One thing to note is that our turn signals are wired using the brake lights; there was no attempt to use the amber turn signal lights. There is no reason that the vehicle, when towed, has to have the same light display as it would when being driven.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We have a 2014 CR-V wired with diodes and everything works fine; I'm not sure why you think the CR-V is different from other vehicles that are wired this way. One thing to note is that our turn signals are wired using the brake lights; there was no attempt to use the amber turn signal lights. There is no reason that the vehicle, when towed, has to have the same light display as it would when being driven.
I think a problem that you might see is when breaking with a turn signal on.
The motorhome will try to flash one light for the turn, but the braking system will be sending power to BOTH lights.....so no flashing signal.

Dan
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I suggest you look at some of the plug-n-play wiring modules out there. They combine everything you need in convenient pre-wired module that you just plug in line with your tail lights. Tow Daddy and Demco are two names that come to mind. No cutting or splicing required.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wired my 2012 CRV with diodes and they work fine. I did not know about the plug and play modules referred to in this thread and would certainly have considered something like that to simplify the wiring job.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I think a problem that you might see is when breaking with a turn signal on.
The motorhome will try to flash one light for the turn, but the braking system will be sending power to BOTH lights.....so no flashing signal.

Dan
Dan:

I hadn't considered that and you are correct, that does happen. However, since one is supposed to put your turn signals on before slowing for a turn, the driver behind you will most probably see the flashing light before it becomes steady. Even if he doesn't, the worst that can happen is that he will see brake lights which will warn him to slow down. Furthermore, the lights on the MH will still be blinking.

My MH has single bulbs used as brake lights and turn signals. There would have been no way to create separate turn signal and brake light outputs.

Joel
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If I understand the diode install, wouldn't there be one for the brake circuit and one for the turn signal circuit?

Thanks,
Craig and Joan
Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

My AFO drives my brake lights and the turn signals are wired with diodes, so coach drives the turn signals.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
If I understand the diode install, wouldn't there be one for the brake circuit and one for the turn signal circuit?

Thanks,
Craig and Joan
If your MH has a single bulb on each side used for both braking and as a turn signal then there is no way to distinguish between voltage being supplied for one purpose or the other. The third (middle) brake light on vehicles is often powered by a device that detects the simultaneous presence of voltage on both bulbs that distinguishes braking from turning, but I don't know of any such device being used to wire a toad.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My motorhome uses a 2 light system and my car uses a three light system for tail, stop, and turn signals. To make everything work correctly, you need to a converter in the system that translates 2 light signals to 3 light signals. I use a TowDaddy system and it does this automatically for me. If you use the traditional diode wiring and you have the same 2 light to 3 light situation, you are going to have to put the converter in for everything to work properly.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We use a ReadyBrake surge braking system on our CR-V so the toad's brakes are only on when it is slowing down. If we are stopped waiting to make a turn the MH's turn signals will make the CR-V's lights blink but there won't be a conflict because the CR-V's brake pedal will not be depressed. I wasn't aware of the existence of something like the TowDaddy, but having thought things through I am less concerned because it shouldn't be that much of an issue with the ReadyBrake.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

My CRV works the same way with my RVi2 brake. When stopped, the brake pedal releases, therefore the turn signals work fine.

Tags
lights