Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

2014 CRV, putting miles on odometer?

First timer needs help! owners manual reads put key in #1 accessory position. Battery dead in 100 miles & electronic dash is racking up miles?
Help Please!

Topcat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat95 View Post
First timer needs help! owners manual reads put key in #1 accessory position. Battery dead in 100 miles & electronic dash is racking up miles?
Help Please!
Have same year crv and haven't run across a problem with adding miles ?
Transmissions have electric speedometers and mileage counters.
If you turn key to off position when transmission is in neutral there should
be no electricity to run speedo
Turn key till it stops (cannot go further )
Make sure the light switch is in off position
If it has nav press * ) half moon button to shut off screen this might help
Battery drain
Fuse is impossible to remove , buy a battery maintainer power from RV to car
😀😀😀

Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

Fuse is not impossible to remove if you are a double-jointed chimpanzee! I installed a fuse switch AND a charge line from the RV.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 05 Odyssey doesn't rack up mileage if the key is put into the "accessory" position. Added a charge line to keep the battery up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a "lock-out" key. Cost about $12.00 at a Honda dealer. After going through the process of running engine and going to neutral from drive, I turn the key off in neutral, then unlock and remove regular key. put the lock out key in and unlock steering wheel. The lockout key is NOT programmed and does not run my battery down. Works for me.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #6

The odometer should not be going up.

This is a known problem, you either have to pull a fuse or get a fusemaster, several other threads on it. Install the fusemaster t tourn the fuse on and off when traveling. Fusemaster is the much easier solution.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #7

Key in "off" position while in neutral solves all problems! Thanks, You've put some time on the road this way? Why does manual say key in #1 position?
Topcat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Here is a link to one of the many threads on the subject of dead battery on the CRV. Basically, the battery is undersized. A larger battery and a charge line will cure your problem.
With the key in the Acc position as per the manual, the odometer will not accumulate mileage.

Toad Battery Dies
Old 07-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Key in "off" position while in neutral solves all problems! Thanks, You've put some time on the road this way? Why does manual say key in #1 position?

Don't the steering wheels lock in the off position?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Help Please!
Topcat95
The odometer of my 2011 Honda CRV toad racks up NO miles when the key is in the accessory position and it's being towed.....and if everything is turned OFF when the key is in the accessory position the battery will remain fully charged.... (even while the car is being towed).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the key must be in #1 Accessory position to unlock the steering wheel which is necessary if using a tow bar.
My CRV has the Navigation system and it killed my battery on my first long tow even though I shut everything off and shut off the display screen. I didn't remove the fuse because that removes power from the 12V plug on the center console and I need that for my Patriot braking system.
Will look into the "lockout key" mentioned above then probably a power line from the MH if necessary. Thanks for the tips.
davidsheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsheld View Post
Yes, the key must be in #1 Accessory position to unlock the steering wheel which is necessary if using a tow bar.
My CRV has the Navigation system and it killed my battery on my first long tow even though I shut everything off and shut off the display screen. I didn't remove the fuse because that removes power from the 12V plug on the center console and I need that for my Patriot braking system.
Will look into the "lockout key" mentioned above then probably a power line from the MH if necessary. Thanks for the tips.
I discovered that when I pulled the fuse as suggested in the owners manual, on my 2014 CRV, it killed the 12 v, plugs for the Patriot, along with everything else. So I installed a remote direct powered, unswitched plug for the Patriot, and a switch to bypass the fuse. Even then a long day of towing depletes the puny battery. So until I get around to replacing the battery, if I'm not disconnecting and driving the TOAD, I have a battery minder/charger that I plug into campground power, and it brings the battery up to snuff by morning.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I discovered that when I pulled the fuse as suggested in the owners manual, on my 2014 CRV, it killed the 12 v, plugs for the Patriot, along with everything else. So I installed a remote direct powered, unswitched plug for the Patriot, and a switch to bypass the fuse. Even then a long day of towing depletes the puny battery. So until I get around to replacing the battery, if I'm not disconnecting and driving the TOAD, I have a battery minder/charger that I plug into campground power, and it brings the battery up to snuff by morning.

Bob

The battery is a Very Easy change. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468209905.342524.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	132679. Two pice battery box for an Oddesy and a group 24, 900 CCA battery. Takes only a few minutes to switch.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsheld View Post
My CRV has the Navigation system and it killed my battery on my first long tow even though I shut everything off and shut off the display screen.
I didn't remove the fuse because that removes power from the 12V plug on the center console and I need that for my Patriot braking system.

Will look into the "lockout key" mentioned above then probably a power line from the MH if necessary.
Thanks for the tips.
davidsheld
If you power any toad brake system with the undersized original equipment battery in a CRV the charge in that battery will be depleted while/as you tow.

Adding a charge line from the towing vehicle to the CRV battery solves that problem.

Mel
'96 Safari