Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #1

2014 Explorer Question

I have read the manual i think page 292 for ford and it does say to put the transmission in "N" with the Key in "ACC" and i have the Sport ands has a key. so last night i tried and i have read on the forums here that some have batteries that have failked in 5 or 6 hours while towing, so i did try and found a sweet spot ill call it between "ACC" and "OFF" i put in "N" and i sat in the auto turned the key to the sweet spot and it does say put transmission in park but if i sit for maybe a min all the lights go off and nothing is on so i am wondering is this correct way to tow , i have never towed 4 down before so any direction will help before i order my toa base plate and tow bar, thanks.
Tabors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So what did ford say when you called?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Didn't call yet , i still have to work a few more years , just wanted to know if any other explorer owner experienced this , but i will call at first chance
Old 06-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #4

Well called ford and nothing just said to put it in ACC mode like the book says , so when i got home yesterday i did that turned the radio off ,sat in the auto and everything was off, so id say i my battery should still be charged at 5 or 6 hours but then when i run the wiring im sure ill have a 12 volt hot wire to make sure it is , also i did try it in the so called sweet spot and i didn't have to turn anything off everything went off like it was in the off position and i stuck my foot out and it rolls just likje it would in the ACC mode
Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabors View Post
also i did try it in the so called sweet spot and i didn't have to turn anything off everything went off like it was in the off position and i stuck my foot out and it rolls just likje it would in the ACC mode
I would be careful using the 'sweet spot' method because a bump in the road may cause it to go into the lock position. If you have the electronic 4X4 the vehicle will still roll even if the transfer case is not in neutral.

On my Explorer the LED light indicates that the transfer switch is in neutral. If I leave the key at the back of the ACC position the light turns off with the dome light. If I move it to the front of the ACC position it keeps the light on all the time. This is helpful when doing checks at rest stops because I don't have to open the door to see that the light is still on. There is some play in the ACC position but setting it on the edge between ACC and lock could cause issues.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

iIt isn't a 4X4, i also did try to move the key and the shifter and both times no luck so i guess i;ll run in the ACC mode cause everything still cuts off, thanks