Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl2u View Post
BHEMOTH, glad you found out in time to switch! I brought mine home and was searching on the forum for procedure when I discovered the problem. I had researched the truck well prior to purchase, never thought about the design going "downhill" after 2013! lesson learned, always include year model when researching because they can vary greatly! After I bought it and was looking for tow procedure due to lack of info in the manual ; I searched for the year, not just Sierra SLT , all the problems came to light in one search on the forum! I'm a happy Ford girl now.
Scott, you are sure right about the trying to make things easier part! We didn't throw all this money at upgrading the coach and the toad to end up with a lot of aggravation! When you told Dan about the scenario of getting pinned in and having to drop toad I was done. Hadn't thought of that , gave me flashbacks to the time several years ago we arrived in MO at 2 am and GPS led us down what turned into narrow dirt road, had to drop jeep , turn MH around and I followed him out in jeep. That would have been a real picnic in the dark in the boonies with a flash light and the battery issue! I said, that's it , I'm out on my love for the GMC. LOL I also want to also clarify, when I said it was fixed in the 2015 GMC, I found out yesterday that it is prob not corrected in 2015 1500 (who really knows) ...the dealership had originally given me instructions for flat tow 2015 that didn't show the batt disconnect , now I notice that these instructions are for the 2015 but they covered the F2500, not the 1500. So my guess is it is not any diff for the 1500 in 2015.
Debra,
First, unless something drastic manifests itself at a later date, I'm positive you're going to really like this Ford. We both really like Ford's styling and innovations. We just simply could not afford a 2012 which, like stated, was Fords first year for flat towing an electronically shifted transfer case at the time we were looking for a truck as a toad.

And second, it's really too bad that GM sort of has its head in you know where concerning this "flat towing" issue. GM is a monster sized company. At last count, I think they've got about a hundred VICE PRESIDENTS or so. Vice president of manufacturing, vice president of design, vise president of trash cans in the plant(s), and more and yet they, in the year 2014, still can't make a truck flat towable without major conflict, AFTER THE UNITS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED, and, all literature has been printed (owners manuals).

Now, they used to, as in our 2011. There was absolutely no issues with those units being flat towed. But, they went ahead and re-designed some components and, goofed up others in the process. I too really like GMC and Chevy trucks. I think they've got an outstanding appearance. The inside of the cab is also phenomenal. But, I too would walk across the street to Ford if we were in the same boat as you.

When you pay that much for a new vehicle and, run into obstacles that by all means, should have been resolved WAAAAAAAAAY before the first unit of that production left the assembly line, to me, that's grounds for walking away. It's not my goal in life to put up with issues that executives can't seem to work out for themselves. Smart move Debra.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHEMOTH View Post
Had a call from both GM and the selling dealer today to advise that GM is prepared to stand behind its early publications that state the 2014's can be flat towed albeit with the inconvenience of disconnecting the battery. By the way, anyone choosing to flat tow a 2014 could limit the inconvenience by installing a battery disconnect switch.

I am assured by GM that and its dealers have agreed that full warranty will stay in place for flat towed vehicles provided that operator error is not the source of a claim.
BEMOTH,
Well Sir, I applaud you for putting up with inconsistencies of a company as large as GM for as long as you did. From your post(s) and others concerning this same issue with GM, while GM does build some very nice units, trucks, cars and more, it seems they don't know how to tie their own shoes on this issue. And, like you stated, if one is dead set on purchasing a new GMC as a toad, and, is willing to put up with the battery disconnect situation, a switch can be installed.

And, if one was really a bit industrious, a remote ultra heavy duty continuous duty solenoid can be installed to take care of the battery disconnect issue. A very nice looking toggle or, a switch that might possibly blend in with the other type switches GM has, could be conveniently installed so that, once all the prep work for flat towing is complete, a flip of that new switch, could be done and, your battery is now disconnected.

However, not knowing the residual effects of a disconnected main battery cable, i.e. radio stations lost, ECM (both engine and trans) programming may also be lost and re-learned each and every time the battery is disconnected, I still might walk away and move to Dodge or Ford. But this is me, as I discussed earlier, I want things EASIER in life, not harder. If folks are willing to disconnect that battery, by wrenching on it, each and every time, just to stay with the GM brand, more power to them. I hope they really enjoy their trucks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #16

I tow a 2012 Ford F-150 4X4 with Roadmaster equipment. I just had to replace the front tires after 28000 miles because they were worn badly on the inside tread. The Ford Advisor told me they were worn this way because the newer truck models have electronic powering steering and when I turn corners the wheels do not return to zero. I need to verify this with a factory rep. If true I can expect to replace front tires every 20000 - 25000 miles or buy a new toad.

JD
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
I tow a 2012 Ford F-150 4X4 with Roadmaster equipment. I just had to replace the front tires after 28000 miles because they were worn badly on the inside tread. The Ford Advisor told me they were worn this way because the newer truck models have electronic powering steering and when I turn corners the wheels do not return to zero. I need to verify this with a factory rep. If true I can expect to replace front tires every 20000 - 25000 miles or buy a new toad.

JD

Glad you're aboard.

I would check with a factory rep and read the owners manual about flat towing. Sounds like more of an alignment issue to me. JMHO Best of luck on finding a solution.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #18

I have followed the manual for putting the transfer case in neutral and had the front end alignment done at about 26000 miles before hitting the road this summer. I am going to contact my dealer and factory rep.
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2013 F150 CC and have not had that problem or see no evidence of it yet.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the ford truck odometer register when toad?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Big Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bobby View Post
Does the ford truck odometer register when toad?

No it don't Bobby.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Big Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing