Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

2014 Ford F150 flat towing FX4

Considering a 2014 Ford F150 for flat towing. Possibly the 6.2 engine. Anyone with experience towing this model run into any surprises or unexpected issues? I saw something about Problems with drained batteries, what about base plates ? They are available for this model? I have learned that most dealers, and service personnel know absolutely nothing about it even though they claim it can be flat towed. Returning a 2014 Sierra because we don't want to deal with disconnecting the battery. I would consider older slightly used model but have not found anything used in our area that is acceptable with an acceptable price. They want nearly as much for the used as the new ! I really like the backup camera, bluetooth radio and a few features on the new ones but after making the deal on the Sierra only to find out while they say it can be flat towed, it is a hassle and thankfully, if it were not for this forum I would have never know this in time to return it, the manual just says consult your dealer .After seeing some things here I did consult the dealer, first response was ,...you can't believe everything you see on the internet. LOL I told them I realize that but I believe the people who are actually doing it, not just saying it can be done. I am not sold on the idea that disconnecting the battery regularly is a good idea at all for the high tech electronics involved either so on the hunt again. Will be test drive Ford again today, sure love everything about the GMC except tow procedure :( The desire to flat tow is the only reason I'm shopping . At this point my eyes are crossing from research and I'm back to square one .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #2

This is a well detailed thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/setti...-a-175092.html
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Thank you, great thread on the particulars. Thankfully we bought GMC from trusted dealership, they also own large Ford dealership as well. Over the years we have purchased many vehicles from them. They are bringing me a Ford to drive for a few days. We will take it to the Trailer/Blue OX dealer for modifications; nice to know exactly what will be done and this thread seems to cover it all. I am sure if the F150 tow procedure is as easy as it seems (after the modifications for ox) them I'm sure I will love it too, more than a temp disabled GMC lol I know a lot of them have to disconnect battery but I can't get over being concerned about the effects on the electronics involved. It seems like it would be comparable to unplugging your computer regularly without shutting it down. Maybe not, but the stress of worrying about damage is more than I can willingly agree too. Yes, I am a major worry wort. LOL
Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

One more thought, I can't find anything indicating tow speed limits on the 2014 F150. If anyone sees that differently, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

What reason do they give for "having" to disconnect the battery? If you have the MH power connected to the toad, wouldn't it keep the toad battery charged?

Never being a toad user, I'm not familiar with the problems. At 4800 pounds kerb weight, our Kia Sedona is too heavy for dolly towing (the dolly would run the toad package beyound the 5000 lb hitch rating). I couldn't justify sinking $3500 into transmission mods, base-plate installation, tow-bar, etc., for flat towing a $1500 car!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 2013 FX4 behind our coach for over 15,000 miles. No issues... With a couple turns off the 4x4 selector, the unit is ready to roll.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
What reason do they give for "having" to disconnect the battery? If you have the MH power connected to the toad, wouldn't it keep the toad battery charged?

Never being a toad user, I'm not familiar with the problems. At 4800 pounds kerb weight, our Kia Sedona is too heavy for dolly towing (the dolly would run the toad package beyound the 5000 lb hitch rating). I couldn't justify sinking $3500 into transmission mods, base-plate installation, tow-bar, etc., for flat towing a $1500 car!
While I have not personally investigated GMCs reasoning for part of the procedure to disconnect the battery, many of us has "assumed" it has to do with the electronic power steering in the newer trucks. There is no real, written basis for this answer but, it's a consensus as of this minute. There are some restrictions of towing speed on various toads out there but, as of yet, I'm unaware of any on any of the trucks with the exception of a Ford Ranger. Those have a limit of 55 mph as I recall. Our last toad, an '11 Honda CRV EX-L AWD model, had a limit of 65 mph when being towed but, our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4, has no limit. It also does not require the battery to be disconnected for flat towing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

yes, the electronic steering is what I understand to be the reason. It is also my understanding that GMC has fixed this issue in the 2015, it only affects the 2014. Could wait on the 15 but want one now, and price of the 15 wouldn't be comparable to the deal we are able to make on the 14's since they are trying to move them out. So Ford it is. We have driven it, and put it in tow mode, it was a snap. As easy as the jeep we used to tow. That's what we were looking for, simple, quick and easy! Guess I'm a Ford girl now. We have several Ford work trucks, maybe I just liked being different from the guys LOL I think the main thing about the GMC was I have been driving my Sierra SLT for 7 years and the GMC was like home to me. The Ford is different but the ease of tow setup has us sold and the beautiful metallic black with smoked lights is pretty too!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dan there are no speed or distance restrictions on the F150 4X4 but I would add a charge line, this is real simple to do and the instructions has been posted on the forum. It's a couple reasons to have a charge line, to keep the battery up on long tows and the warning in the owners manual that warns that the transfer case could shift out of tow mode if the battery was low voltage. We used the Roadmaster set up for brackets and toad brake ( Roadmaster Brakemaster) and use a tow light set up that slide into the 2 inch receiver.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

yes, thanks! They are going to add the charge line, ordered the base plate today already have Aventa so we are going to use it for the moment, only used a couple times to tow Jeep . Can't wait to have it all ready to "hit the road".
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl2u View Post
yes, the electronic steering is what I understand to be the reason. It is also my understanding that GMC has fixed this issue in the 2015, it only affects the 2014. Could wait on the 15 but want one now, and price of the 15 wouldn't be comparable to the deal we are able to make on the 14's since they are trying to move them out. So Ford it is. We have driven it, and put it in tow mode, it was a snap. As easy as the jeep we used to tow. That's what we were looking for, simple, quick and easy! Guess I'm a Ford girl now. We have several Ford work trucks, maybe I just liked being different from the guys LOL I think the main thing about the GMC was I have been driving my Sierra SLT for 7 years and the GMC was like home to me. The Ford is different but the ease of tow setup has us sold and the beautiful metallic black with smoked lights is pretty too!
Debra,
Good for you girl! This goes along the same lines as other folks who, to this day, still climb under the vehicle to "disconnect" the drive shaft, in order to tow their vehicle. Even though you were comfortable with the new GMC, and were used to the brand, making things simpler in life is, well, my motto.

Towing a vehicle, behind ones motorhome is, in and of itself, kind of a pain in the a$$. I mean, hooking up the tow bar, chains or cables for safety, a pig tail, possibly a screen for chip protection of the toad, an auxiliary braking system (different models have different styles of hooking up) and then there's the procedure INSIDE the toad, to ready it for towing. Then there's the opposite when unhooking. WHY, in the world would anyone want to make it harder, with more procedures, like disconnecting the battery and, reconnecting it when readying it for driving, when, in life, you're trying to make things easier?

Now, these manufacturers, for the most part, are trying to make their cars and trucks, better and better, as time goes on but, in this case, they made things worse, primarily for us that tow vehicles and, really like GMC pickups. Ok, enough rant, you chose the Ford and, I for one, think you're going to be ultra-happy with it. Ford builds a nice vehicle. Now, it took Ford a long time to come around and make their 1500 4x4 Auto, flat towable but, in the end, they did it and, there's lots of happy Ford "Toad" owners out there now. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #12

Three weeks ago I signed a sales agreement for a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT.

The owners manual states that provided the vehicle has a two stage transfer case, it can be flat towed and the approved procedure is offered in the manual. This procedure is also included in GM's bulletin to it's dealers and identifies the transfer case no.s that can be towed. The vehicle I had chosen has one of the allowed transfer cases. The correct procedure for flat towing is also included in the publicaly available 2014 GM towing guide.

That said, the sales person I was dealing with advised against flat towing any 2014 GM 1500 series citing the electrically assisted power steering and the number of sensitive computer relays powering the vehicle and its accessories. The sales person's view was echoed by the dealership's service manager who also advised that flat towing could invalidate the vehicles warranty. On that note I postponed the purchase and referred the matter directly to GM customer service.

GM telephoned and interviewed me as to what the dealership had imparted. The sales person telephoned to advise that GM had been in touch with him, his sales manager, the service manager and the dealer principal.

I have had two more calls from GM, the first to advise that the matter is being dealt with although no explanation or resolution was offered. Today I received a further call from GM to advise the matter remains under discussion but as yet the representative was unable to confirm that the vehicle can be towed or can not be towed.

I politely advised the GM representative that the matter should have be confirmed with in 10 minutes of my first call given GM's published information. I asked if the delay was due to GM realizing that its several publications advising that the 2014 1500's can be flat towed are either misleading or false. He offered no answer other than to advise that he would keep me informed.

Like Debra I now own a 2014 Ford F150 and it can be flat towed and without disconnecting the battery.

Although GM has some very nice features in its 2014 line up let's not forget that GM accepted billions of our tax dollars to avoid bankruptcy and then moved 70% of its vehicle manufacturing to China. How is that for - Made in America!
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #13

BHEMOTH, glad you found out in time to switch! I brought mine home and was searching on the forum for procedure when I discovered the problem. I had researched the truck well prior to purchase, never thought about the design going "downhill" after 2013! lesson learned, always include year model when researching because they can vary greatly! After I bought it and was looking for tow procedure due to lack of info in the manual ; I searched for the year, not just Sierra SLT , all the problems came to light in one search on the forum! I'm a happy Ford girl now.
Scott, you are sure right about the trying to make things easier part! We didn't throw all this money at upgrading the coach and the toad to end up with a lot of aggravation! When you told Dan about the scenario of getting pinned in and having to drop toad I was done. Hadn't thought of that , gave me flashbacks to the time several years ago we arrived in MO at 2 am and GPS led us down what turned into narrow dirt road, had to drop jeep , turn MH around and I followed him out in jeep. That would have been a real picnic in the dark in the boonies with a flash light and the battery issue! I said, that's it , I'm out on my love for the GMC. LOL I also want to also clarify, when I said it was fixed in the 2015 GMC, I found out yesterday that it is prob not corrected in 2015 1500 (who really knows) ...the dealership had originally given me instructions for flat tow 2015 that didn't show the batt disconnect , now I notice that these instructions are for the 2015 but they covered the F2500, not the 1500. So my guess is it is not any diff for the 1500 in 2015.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #14

Had a call from both GM and the selling dealer today to advise that GM is prepared to stand behind its early publications that state the 2014's can be flat towed albeit with the inconvenience of disconnecting the battery. By the way, anyone choosing to flat tow a 2014 could limit the inconvenience by installing a battery disconnect switch.

I am assured by GM that and its dealers have agreed that full warranty will stay in place for flat towed vehicles provided that operator error is not the source of a claim.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20140819101117354.pdf (189.0 KB, 64 views)
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing