Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 AM   #127

ford fusion

i am buying a 2015 focus se and wondering if there any thing different on it from the previous years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew100 View Post
I just made my first stop from Austin Tx to the Greater los Angeles area while towing my 2014 Ford Focus (four wheels down) I had the Roadmaster Base Plate with wiring adapter installed and pulling with a Falcon 2 tow bar. Since the Focus is less than 3K lbs., I don’t have to use a Brake Assist system.
OK, now for the disconnecting of the Battery, I found a web site on U Tube “disconnecting a 2014 Ford Focus Battery” I watched the video and did a couple of practice runs on disconnecting the two battery covers. ( I got it down to a science)
Now for the disconnection of the Ground Cable. I used a 10mm socket wrench (you can use the socket or socket wrench) It took me just a few seconds to do this. I left the battery covers off, and will do so until we return. But the whole process takes only 2-3 min. By disconnecting the ground cable and upon reconnecting, everything reset itself i.e.: radio, navigation, my sync, all reset itself.
So with that, we have towed over 1,400 miles and have been driving around LA for a few days and not one single problem. I just followed the MFG instructions.. Now we are on our way to San Diego for a week before heading back to Austin. I will give an update when we return.
Take your car to a weight scale please, mine is over 3085 lbs 2014 Hatchback Titanium w/out adaptive cruise control. If you get into an accident you may be liable for all damage cause because your tow was to heavy. If I am correct some state if you're over 2000 lbs you need a breaking system.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by delornut View Post
It works great, don't have to mess with anything but hooking up the electrics to the motorhome. Only minus side is it'll be a chore if I ever get a different toad.
I went with the new BRK 4000 from Blue Ox. I wanted the Air Force One but when I saw the Blue Ox was less intrusive and very easy to install, went with BO instead.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #130

This is the best solution I have seen so far....from HDMOXNESS....and believe me I have been looking for months. Towing a 2014 SE and disconnecting the battery, while simple, is a little scary for me.
Would it work to use this disconnect switch without the complicated setup you have in the picture? I have towed the Focus on four occasions....up to 300 miles at a time...with just the negative disconnected.
New to a motorhome and TOAD so any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #131

Red face what kind of switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
Just finished wiring a switch on the neg. battery cable of my Focus (2014 SE sedan w/auto trans, keyed ignition). Some of you mentioned losing radio presets when disconnecting the battery. I did not. The only things that I lost were the trip counter info, the clock and, of all things, the tone controls on the radio (bass, treble etc). I can live with that.
All mods are now complete on the toad, so it is "all dressed up with no place to tow"......Actually, I'll get a chance to test it in a couple weeks.
Thanks for everyone's input.
looking for something small enough to fit under the hood and quick/easy to install? suggestions helpful. thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i am buying a 2015 focus se and wondering if there any thing different on it from the previous years.
We are towing a 2015 SE and have had no problems. Just do the simple steps Ford requires and you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #133

focus battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
The 2014 ford focus owners hand-book requires the negative terminal on the battery to be disconnected for towing. The negative terminal has the grounding cable as well as (what i think is) the Battery management connection (a small black box with two leads).......

has anyone done a disconnect on this?? and if so---- your advice and/or recommendations would be appreciated....

rich
buy a 14.00 disconnect with the round knob to turn and run a cable from it to the negative battery terminal . then run the complete negative cable to the other side of the switch. i ty wrapped the switch to the top of the battery cover so it didn't move around and siliconed all terminals to make it safe. this is what ford says to do and it has worked for me so far.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #134

For power to the Brake Buddy you have to get a female plug (from Blue Ox) accessory and wire into coach and back through the firewall. This is what I have done and works fine.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:47 AM   #135

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew100 View Post
I just made my first stop from Austin Tx to the Greater los Angeles area while towing my 2014 Ford Focus (four wheels down) I had the Roadmaster Base Plate with wiring adapter installed and pulling with a Falcon 2 tow bar. Since the Focus is less than 3K lbs., I don’t have to use a Brake Assist system.
Each state has different requirements about when a toad braking system is required. Some are as low as a 1000 pounds, other go by braking distance. Have your vehicle weighted, I believe you find it weights more then 3000 poumds.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:04 AM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Each state has different requirements about when a toad braking system is required. Some are as low as a 1000 pounds, other go by braking distance. Have your vehicle weighted, I believe you find it weights more then 3000 poumds.
Forgot to post a link
Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Old 10-31-2015, 08:02 AM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know if there is any difference between 2013 or 14. On my 2013, the negative line is attached to the frame via bolt easy to disconnect. I also have a line directly from battery to inside for hooking up brake buddy.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
I don't know if there is any difference between 2013 or 14. On my 2013, the negative line is attached to the frame via bolt easy to disconnect. I also have a line directly from battery to inside for hooking up brake buddy.
from what i have read, i would not run anything off of the car battery. i would run a line from the mh to power the brake buddy. there are too many people having a slight current getting back to the tranny and destroying it.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #139

I'm in the process of setting up a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback for towing. I used the Blue Ox base plate and did not have to trim the 5MPH bumper. More detail in another thread about setting up a 2014 (or 2016) Focus for flat towing.

Question: If you power your supplemental braking system from the motorhome, what happens during a break-a-way situation?

As for current getting into the Focus electrical system with the negative battery disconnected, I think it may only be happening to those that tie into the "isolated" tail light system. I was thinking about the SMI system, but that connects the MH positive power from the tail lights into the SMI controller. I haven't read any posts where systems that don't tie into the motorhome tail light system have issues.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
The 2014 ford focus owners hand-book requires the negative terminal on the battery to be disconnected for towing. The negative terminal has the grounding cable as well as (what i think is) the Battery management connection (a small black box with two leads).......

has anyone done a disconnect on this?? and if so---- your advice and/or recommendations would be appreciated....

rich
Just did a trip from Austin to Calif over three weeks. Got back last week and no problems. I disconnected the Black Negitave cable from the battery per the owners manual. This is the second time ive made this trip in two yrs.

Tags
ford, battery, battery disconnect