Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #141

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been flat towing our 2013 Focus for last couple of years following the exact procedures as recommended in owners manual. Since we are using brake buddy, I ran a separate power line for the brake buddy which is alway hot. The negative which is also ground is connected to the frame which makes easy to disconnect. I did have had transmission problems couple of times which I thought had to do with flat towing. But it was not. Ford diagnosis showed bad control module, which I found out is pretty common with Ford Focus. It has to do with their design.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #142

I have driven over 6000 miles towing my 2014 Focus and have disconnected and reconnected the negative cable at least 3 dozen times. I disconnect the Black Negative Cable and when I reconnect, I have it set that it's loose enough to take off and put back on without using a wrench. I replace the battery cover and have never had a problem. It might not be the most proper technique but it works for me.
Bamadug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #143

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder if anybody has used a wing nut on the battery cable to avoid having to use a wranch/socket to remove the cable?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #144

In another forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2016-...ml#post2987446

I posted a slightly modified version of the battery disconnect solution discussed by "hdmoxness" in post 19 of this forum. I think I gave detailed instructions and photos to anyone that wants to attempt this. Depending on how much room is under the hood (in the Focus - not much!) this could be adapted to other cars as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #145

One More Question

What is the cable that looks to be grounded to the frame of the car? If that's disconnected, does that also disconnect the negative pole on the battery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Focus Battery.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	158666  
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
What is the cable that looks to be grounded to the frame of the car? If that's disconnected, does that also disconnect the negative pole on the battery?
No
It's only a place to use to jump the car if necessary
I have a detailed install on my 2016 focus
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
No
It's only a place to use to jump the car if necessary
I have a detailed install on my 2016 focus
We have the 2014 SE model. Other Focus owners have flipped the battery around and installed a new, longer cable to the positive terminal and that brings the negative terminal closer to the front.

Ideas? Comments?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #148

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For just a few $$$ install a battery disconnect switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	158692  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #149

2014 ford focus battery disconnect

I just put a small marine grade battery disconnect switch on the negative cable. My wife gets in the car and places the shifter in N and I turn the switch to OFF. We have towed more than 6000 miles so far and no problems. Just disconnect from motorhome, turn the switch to ON, put the Focus in gear and away we go.
maxwell15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
For just a few $$$ install a battery disconnect switch.
That's what we want to do. Can you see the picture of my battery as it sits in the car right now, a couple of posts ahead of yours?

My battery position looks different from yours.

Right now, it looks like our best bet is to purchase a longer battery cable, switch the battery 180 degrees so that the positive is under the dash,and the negative terminal is now exposed, making room for the quick disconnect.

I hate that I am right up against the wall in getting ready for this trip, but it is what it is.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #151

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
That's what we want to do. Can you see the picture of my battery as it sits in the car right now, a couple of posts ahead of yours?

My battery position looks different from yours.

Right now, it looks like our best bet is to purchase a longer battery cable, switch the battery 180 degrees so that the positive is under the dash,and the negative terminal is now exposed, making room for the quick disconnect.

I hate that I am right up against the wall in getting ready for this trip, but it is what it is.
Be sure to put disconnect switch on positive cable post. Our braking system (SMI) uses the car battery negative for the ground and so must remain connected.

Your battery should have a + marker beside the positive post and a _ sign beside the negative post. The positive wil likely be red as well, but not guaranteed.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #152

[QUOTE=georgelesley;3557026]Be sure to put disconnect switch on positive cable post. Our braking system (SMI) uses the car battery negative for the ground and so must remain connected.

Your battery should have a + marker beside the positive post and a _ sign beside the negative post. The positive wil likely be red as well, but not guaranteed.[/QU

Our auxiliary braking system will run on a battery pack. Just curious, our owner's manual explicitly says disconnect the negative cable.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #153

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=Lexi2007;3557813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Be sure to put disconnect switch on positive cable post. Our braking system (SMI) uses the car battery negative for the ground and so must remain connected.

Your battery should have a + marker beside the positive post and a _ sign beside the negative post. The positive wil likely be red as well, but not guaranteed.[/QU

Our auxiliary braking system will run on a battery pack. Just curious, our owner's manual explicitly says disconnect the negative cable.
Disconnecting the negative or positive likely varies with the braking system. Ours says only the positive because the ground is common with the car.if one were to use a separate battery pack, then the negative on the car battery would be the best choice. I like te disconnect switch so no cables need be disconnected and reconnected.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #154

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my last trip, on a very dark road I got trapped and had to turn around. There was no way to do it without backing up, which required disconnecting the car. The road was on a incline so I needed to start the car. It was dark and I was mr fumble fingers dropping the wrench multiple times. I did manage to do it but...

Let just say I installed a switch to disconnect the battery. Because I use a RVI2 braking system, connected to the car battery which is charged from my MH. I had to put it in the positive post. If I put it on the neg post the car would have got power from the MH.

I am using this switch Battery Doctor

Tags
ford, battery, battery disconnect