Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post
After reading about the potential consequences of a diode failure I've decided not to go that route, and to go with separate bulbs. Since the bulbs used in the Roadmaster harness look pretty standard, I wonder if it might be a good idea to replace those tungsten bulbs with much brighter LED bulbs? Just a thought.

Thanks,
David
I thought about LEDs, but in the end went with the BlueOX BX8869 Bulb And Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit. Camper Parts, Camper Supplies, RV Parts, RV Supplies: RVupgradestore has it for $48.96. The brightness is comparable to the OEM lights.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #170

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roadmaster Bulbs

I used the stock incandescent bulbs that came with the Roadmaster kit. I thought they were plenty bright. You certainly could replace them with LED bulbs though. The advantage, in addition to a potentially brighter bulb, would be longer life. Those tail lights are so easy to get off though I really wasn't worried about replacing a bulb.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I used the stock incandescent bulbs that came with the Roadmaster kit. I thought they were plenty bright. You certainly could replace them with LED bulbs though. The advantage, in addition to a potentially brighter bulb, would be longer life. Those tail lights are so easy to get off though I really wasn't worried about replacing a bulb.
Are those bulbs using a 1506 base? I think I will add LEDs for the quicker response time and being brighter.

David
Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #172

Why can't you just put a harbor freight battery disconnect on the positive terminal to shut it off when towing? I have a 2013 Ford Focus that uses a key to start it and how I've been towing my car is just disconnecting the ground wire from battery to the frame and tucking the wire down between the plastic stopping it from hitting any metal when towing the car
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #173
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
Why can't you just put a harbor freight battery disconnect on the positive terminal to shut it off when towing? I have a 2013 Ford Focus that uses a key to start it and how I've been towing my car is just disconnecting the ground wire from battery to the frame and tucking the wire down between the plastic stopping it from hitting any metal when towing the car
You can. It is totally disconnecting the battery so it is your choice.

My 2015 Focus I put a disconnect on the negative because that what Ford says and I didn't want problems with them if something happened. I did find some theroy that by disconnecting the ground there was no chance of getting stray voltage to the transmission and causing it to decide to engage into gear. I do not know if it possible but decided not to take a chance.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
My 2012 Focus Titanium has 89,000 mile on it and I've towed it for the last seven years with a disconnect on the positive terminal. I use the type with a knob you tighten to complete the connection but instead of just loosening the knob to kill the connection, I remove it for the duration of the tow to make sure it couldn't vibrate back tight.

Bruce
delornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #175

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
This is exactly why I bet Ford says to remove the negative and has nothing to do with electronics problems from removing the positive.
Removing the negative first has been the standard procedure for a long time now.
Removing the positive by a careless or uninformed person could be disastrous. I can't believe any mfg. would recommend it to the consumer for any reason.
This hazard is the ONLY reason Ford has for the negative cable disconnect procedure. The problem is, getting to the negative cable is very difficult.

I've towed 2014 and 2016 Focuses four down for years. I carry a small, 1/4 drive, insulated (with shrink wrap) socket wrench and simply disconnect the positive cable from the post. Then, I slip a tennis ball (cut one side open) over the connector and push it down between the front of the battery and the case. The tennis ball ensures the cable / connector doesn't flop around while traveling and guards against any possibility of the connector touching the positive terminal while traveling.

Super easy and NO modification of the cabling required.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #176

2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	248612
I prefer this ,easy to set up , now just turn the knob & done .
Ultimately, I can’t stand this car & am looking forward to something differant .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #177

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will soon be in the position with my '14 Titanium focus

Thanks for all the good reading. Looks like I will soon be in the same perdicerment with my 14 Focus as we move to a Class C. My one question is how are you all powering your brake assist set ups with the negative post disconnected/switched?
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #178

Ready break
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, battery, battery disconnect